Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 56,366 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum,

This will be my first post in the history of forever, and I decided it should probably be of the amazing places I've been in and around Greenville County. I've lived in the Upstate my entire life, and I think I have been everywhere twice Lol. So, as I was searching for new and exciting adventures, I happened upon this site and realized that I could answer some of the questions that members have asked, and maybe share a little of my own photos along the way. I hope that you can share your adventures too! I would really love to go somewhere new.

Cowpens Battlefield in Cowpens, South Carolina. We didn't get any shots of the actual battlefield because it's quite the drive through the park, and the hours are a little iffy. If you go, be sure to get there well before 4:30pm. They say that the park closes at 5:00pm, but they actually close off everything except the visitor's center at 4:30pm. It's kinda poopy.

Campbell Covered Bridge is a really historic destination! It also has the ruins of an old mill to the left of the bridge, and if you pack a lunch, there's a nice flat rock surface down by the creek that's perfect for a picnic! Just be careful around the mill ruins, I spotted a lot of yellow jackets! Don't worry, though. The ruins are far enough from the bridge that you can enjoy your picnic. Also, there is a trail.

Hatcher Gardens is probably one of my most beloved places in an urban setting. It's not too far from DT Spartanburg, and it's just absolutely gorgeous. There is a waterfall, creeks everywhere, a swamp, flowers as big as your head, and it's seemingly endless! It reminds me of a Woodland Alice in Wonderland.

Looking Glass Falls in Pisgah National Forrest in Brevard, North Carolina isn't exactly Greenville. But, the trip to it is incredibly scenic, and the waterfall is breathtaking. You can actually swim at the base of the falls! During the summer though, it's best to go on week days. We went during the weekend, and there were so many people there you couldn't even get in the water.

White Water Falls Upper, please do not confuse with White Water Falls Lower. Upper is a giant display of nature's brilliance. I think to the falls is a short distance of half a mile on a paved path, and along the way you get spectacular views of the mountains peeking out between the trees. From the top, there's a seriously interesting staircase leading down to the base of the falls.

Paris Mountain is where we go most since it's right next to Downtown Greenville! The picture above is from the Brissy Ridge trail. It has a lot of mountain views, and during the Fall it's just magnificent! However, Brissy Ridge intersects with Kanuga, and if you go a little down that way, you'll find a really amazing view of Greenville and what looks to be Downtown. Sulphur Springs is really nice too, with a waterfall/dam, and ruins. All of the trails at Paris Mountain are fairly easy, and great for those days that you want to get out in nature, but not really tackle a seriously strenuous hike.

Table Rock State Park is pretty cool too! It has A LOT of trails, waterfalls, and rivers.

The Children's Park in DT Greenville is really cute. In the Spring and Summer they have a lot of beautiful flowers and plants for kids to enjoy. Also, it is decorated in Disney and storybook characters like Peter Cottontail.

Falls Park is a really nice way to enjoy nature without feeling like you're out in the wilderness. The crown jewel are the Reedy River Falls and Liberty Bridge. Also, you guessed it... mill ruins! We like to visit O-Cha Tea Bar for some bubble tea and just explore or play chess under the bridge. You can make a day of it, really! Just please, do not get in the water or allow your children to swim/wade. Also, beware during hot summer days. It really can smell in some areas due to the water pollution. What is it polluted with? You don't really want to know...

Sassafra Mountain had the best views I have ever seen. We arrived just before sunset on a cold November afternoon. The wind is serious up there, so bring a jacket! I had to get blanket out of the trunk just to survive. Lol It is really just awe-striking.

Lake Conestee Nature Park is another great place to explore not far from the city! I've been there twice, once during the Spring with my boyfriend, and once during the Winter with friends returning from out of state colleges. It seemed a lot prettier during the Spring, but it's still a nice place to visit when even withered. There are boardwalks everywhere that remind me of the coast. There's many rivers, a lot of lakes, a bird watching dock, and a small waterfall. I believe a sign said that it was the only wet lands in North America aside from Florida. So, that's interesting. You can really spend a lot of time here. We walked around for seven hours, and I never once felt tired or bored. The time really does fly.

Of course, Caesar's Head State Park!

Then, there's this place. I'm not sure if it has a real name because there are not any signs. I've always called it Tattoo Rock because of all the graffiti. If you're coming down from Caesar's Head and heading back toward SC there is a very tiny bridge on the left hand side of the road with a gravel parking area. If you blink, you'll miss it. It's a nice place to sit and enjoy the view. Not too many people know about it, and it's usually very calm and relaxing. Though, if you have children I would be cautious. The rock does not have fences or boundaries like Caesar's Head. It's also very large, flat, and easily walked upon until you reach the edge where there's a dangerous drop. I'm not good at measuring height by sight, but it's higher than the view from my third floor balcony.

Well, those are the places that I've been that I've documented! I hope that you guys have enjoyed my little tour, and will in turn share some of your favorite locations with me! If you have any questions, or want to see more pics from a place, just let me know. I know a thousand on my FB, and I can easily put a few more here in the comments section.

Last edited by ZiggyStarsRust; 10-08-2012 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,598,175 times
Great pics - thanks! Just wondering about Paris Mountain SP... We've been on some of the trails (or maybe just the same one multiple time??), and love the back to nature feeling, but have NEVER got any kind of view from up there (except, sort of, during winter when there are no leaves on the trees). Do you have any pics of the mountain or city views from the Brissy Ridge and Kanuga trails? We'll have to make note of those names.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:22 PM

14 posts, read 56,366 times

All of those are taken from the Brissy Ridge Trail (Fall and Winter). There's a parking area, and you start from there as opposed to across the street. It's not very long until you get to an intersection with Kanuga (15 Minutes), and that's where you can see the city and mountains. It's really the best place to be on Paris, especially during the fall.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,598,175 times
Thanks! We'll definitely check those out next time!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:41 PM

607 posts, read 1,408,716 times
Thank you! Wonderful pictures!
Our area has a lot of beauty.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM

672 posts, read 1,424,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStarsRust View Post

Then, there's this place. I'm not sure if it has a real name because there are not any signs. I've always called it Tattoo Rock because of all the graffiti. If you're coming down from Caesar's Head and heading back toward SC there is a very tiny bridge on the left hand side of the road with a gravel parking area. If you blink, you'll miss it. It's a nice place to sit and enjoy the view. Not too many people know about it, and it's usually very calm and relaxing. Though, if you have children I would be cautious. The rock does not have fences or boundaries like Caesar's Head. It's also very large, flat, and easily walked upon until you reach the edge where there's a dangerous drop. I'm not good at measuring height by sight, but it's higher than the view from my third floor balcony.
That is officially called "Bald Rock" I believe. I love to go there, it's free and not far up the mountain at all. Great posts and pics, thanks for sharing!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM

557 posts, read 870,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
That is officially called "Bald Rock" I believe. I love to go there, it's free and not far up the mountain at all. Great posts and pics, thanks for sharing!
That is correct. That is Bald Rock.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:20 PM

10,334 posts, read 7,943,615 times
Love this area!!!

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,222,345 times
Love getting more acquainted with the Greenville area. Thanks so much for sharing!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 AM

348 posts, read 499,597 times
Default Glassy Mountain

I believe if you take Route 183 towards Pickens, you can access a road before Pickens that takes you up to Glassy Mountain. Wonderful views looking towards Table Rock and such. A lovely vista. Be careful up there, you are on a big rock dome and the adventurous have painted Graffiti near the edge. Use caution. There are a few short trails around this area. Have fun. I have pic's but having trouble attaching or don't know how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area