Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:56 AM

54 posts, read 90,639 times

Advertisements

Two young male kids who look to be in their late 20's knocked on my door and tried to get me to sign up for some magazines for points to go to college. They stated that they were from Mauldin High School. But then tried to make up some excuse why they are outside of their school district. I'm from the city so when people knock on my door to try and get me to do something I'm on always leary about it. It's never what it seems. For a minute I thought they geniune but after fummbling over ideas and not be strait forward with me I know it was a scam. So I told them I couldn't help them and they left. They were very sketchy. Two white kids, one short with short hair and another a little taller than him with long hair. PLEASE BEWARE!!!! Protect yourselves and your fellow neighbors and neighborhoods by not giving them the time of day. SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,849,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brova View Post
Two young male kids who look to be in their late 20's knocked on my door and tried to get me to sign up for some magazines for points to go to college. They stated that they were from Mauldin High School. But then tried to make up some excuse why they are outside of their school district. I'm from the city so when people knock on my door to try and get me to do something I'm on always leary about it. It's never what it seems. For a minute I thought they geniune but after fummbling over ideas and not be strait forward with me I know it was a scam. So I told them I couldn't help them and they left. They were very sketchy. Two white kids, one short with short hair and another a little taller than him with long hair. PLEASE BEWARE!!!! Protect yourselves and your fellow neighbors and neighborhoods by not giving them the time of day. SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!!
I always assume all those things are scams, never give out information or money to door to door people, too many scammers out there. I shut the door in peoples faces. Some might think me rude, but our neighborhood is clearly posted "NO SOLICITORS". Plus I sleep during the day so I am generally annoyed when I get woken up for some magazine salesman/meat truck/tru green whatever.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:44 AM

81 posts, read 204,204 times
Those two were "selling" security systems in my neighborhood 2 weeks ago. I live off E. North Street.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 AM

11,712 posts, read 24,830,756 times
Head for the hills.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM

54 posts, read 90,639 times
If they come here again, i'm going to show them my security system!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,778,311 times
Does Simpsonville require a peddler's license to go door to door? I know Greenville does. You might want to check with the town and see if what they are doing is even legal.

In Greenville, at least you can shoo them away and then call the police. Since the kids are usually working a neighorhood the police easily find them, then can check for licenses ( they seldom have them). Then they can fine them or just kick them out of town. Once they know the police are on to them, they'll leave the area.

If your town doesn't require licensing it's something many of you might want to explore with town officials.
A license requires a photo ID, background check, proof of legitimate business, etc.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM

684 posts, read 1,188,728 times
What I do when people shove stuff in my face:

Threw It On The Ground - YouTube

like girl scout cookies, popcorn, etc ;D

Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 14,713 times
OMG!! The same thing happened to me last year. A young white boy came to my door saying he was selling magazines to get points for college. Me being naive, I believed him and let him in my apartment. I started filling out the check thinking it was for a good cause. My husband was in the other room but the young man didn't see him so when my husband came out it somewhat startled the young kid. My husband looked at him and asked me why am I writing a check out. So I told him the story the young man told me and my husband immediately said no thank you and told the kid to leave. We could tell the young man was upset but I guess at a last ditch effort he tried to convince my husband that it was for school. Guess the fact that he was so close to getting that check in his hand made him even more eager to try but my husband was not having it. I saw him out and he blurted out a curse word. My husband told me that I should be more careful about letting people in and stop being so nice and he's totally right. So happy my husband was there because I totally fell for it. My husband is from the north so like you Brova he is always leary of scammers. I showed him this thread and he smiled and said "I knew it!!"

Old 09-10-2012, 01:23 PM

25 posts, read 74,490 times
I can't believe it,this just happened to me this past week. I live off of Scuffletown Rd and a young girl with short shorts and short midriff shirt and loaded with tattoo's was selling magazines for points for college as well. I didn't think her attire was very appropriate for selling magazines but I listened to her sh peel anyway. I told her I really wasn't interested ,I gave her a dollar donation and sent her on her way, I am glad that was all she got from me, I feel sorry for everybody. There is a no soliciting sign at the entrance to our subdivision but it doesn't help ,they still go door to door anyway!

Old 09-10-2012, 01:37 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,851,014 times
My freshman year at Clemson, someone came to my dorm saying he was selling magazines as some sort of project for his communications degree. I bought a subscription but it never came. That was the last time I'll fall for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area