Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
Well there is always living closer to your job... so you can ride a bike to work like millions do everyday around the world. Also, makes for a good healthy population.

Also, bikes > horses.
A bicycle is much cheaper overall than a horse in a 21st century urban setting and I assume painting bike lanes is cheaper long-term than mowing/maintaing a grassy shoulder/lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs90 View Post
Suggesting a tax raise in uber-far-right wing South Carolina? No way. The Tea Party Governor Nikki Haley already screwed 4,000,000 residents by slashing budgets and thus exposing us to a hacker.

This state is a joke.
Not only that but her first day in office she expanded the staff beyond what Sanford had and raised everyone's salary. So much for her sticking to her Tea Party values. Ron Paul people worked the hardest to get her into office! Were we misled or what?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Sales taxes take a larger chunk of the disposable income of the poor than of the rich. They are the worst way to generate revenue.

Also, with the rise of Internet retail, it is incredibly easy for people to evade the sales tax.

Property taxes would be a better and more equitable way of generating revenue.
NO MORE TAXES until they liquidate the assets they have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no reason why govt employees should have a bazillion times better "retirement" than the private sector. Take some of those assets from the stores they have shown in the CAFR. Also NO MORE "cost of living" RAISES for govt employees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
I live close enough to everything I need that I could ride my bike. I can't do this, however, because there are no shoulders and riding on such roads alone, especially during rush hours, is suicide.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
NO MORE TAXES until they liquidate the assets they have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no reason why govt employees should have a bazillion times better "retirement" than the private sector. Take some of those assets from the stores they have shown in the CAFR. Also NO MORE "cost of living" RAISES for govt employees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How much higher are Greenville County employee salaries and benefits than the private sector? Can you please link me to a study or news report?

Old 12-07-2012, 01:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I looked at the links you posted. It doesn't appear to me that their retirement plans are "a bazillion times better." The largest group was teachers. From what I read, they can get around 40% of their final years income in retirement after 25+ years. Considering a teacher with a master's degree only make around $60k after 25 years, that's less than $25k a year. Someone with a master's degree and a 401k in the private sector would likely do much better than that.

They also can't liquidate pension funds like that. There are federal laws governing the reserve requirements for them.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 PM

179 posts, read 328,811 times
Yea, those money grubby teachers educating everyone so they can make more money later in life and pay more taxes...

Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,013,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I live close enough to everything I need that I could ride my bike. I can't do this, however, because there are no shoulders and riding on such roads alone, especially during rush hours, is suicide.
Glad to know someone would use bike lanes because
I hardly see anyone using all the bike lanes the city has built around DT. Many of the streets that have them connect to other streets that don't have them so whats the point? IMO, I think its been a huge waste of money. The way people text,talk on the phone and drive around here no way I am riding in one of those lanes on a bike.

As far as a sales tax increase, thats already been voted down several times already. I just don't see it happening.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
"I ride a bike, and probably pay more in taxes than you."

It is amazing how much you can know about someone by reading a couple of their posts a week. Durn, I did not know I had post any of my W2s on here.

Point here is - I fish for a hobby. For that relaxation and enjoyment I pay county taxes on a boat and motor which does not go into supporting my hobby at all. I also have to purchase an annual license. If I fish in saltwater I have to purchase an additiona license. When I go to the lake I have to pay a launch fee as well. I am willing to pay my way unlike some folks.
My tax comment is based on where I live...within the city limits. We pay more taxes here and in return get more services. We also pollute less, as a group.

You should have to pay taxes on a boat and motor. They pollute, which costs us all.

You should have to buy a license to fish. Those fish are stocked and regulated by the government, which costs us all.

When you go to the lake or ocean, you pollute the air and water, which costs us all.

When I ride my bike to work, what harm does that do to my fellow citizens?

None. It actually helps them. By wasting fewer resources (namely oil), by putting no emissions into the air (ok, a little co2, lol), and by getting healthier through exercise (and therefore having lower health costs that we all pay for), I am contributing to society and the common good.

My fuel is food, yours is petroleum. My emission are non consequential, yours are very harmful, and in fact get into our air and drinking water, which then has to be cleaned.

You're not paying for that, we all are. Thanks, and you're welcome.

I'm a maker, if you will.

When you "recreate" by fishing, you're a taker, quite literally if you are successful in your recreation.

You should have to pay for that. Hence, the fees and taxes.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
My tax comment is based on where I live...within the city limits. We pay more taxes here and in return get more services. We also pollute less, as a group.

You should have to pay taxes on a boat and motor. They pollute, which costs us all.

You should have to buy a license to fish. Those fish are stocked and regulated by the government, which costs us all.

When you go to the lake or ocean, you pollute the air and water, which costs us all.

When I ride my bike to work, what harm does that do to my fellow citizens?

None. It actually helps them. By wasting fewer resources (namely oil), by putting no emissions into the air (ok, a little co2, lol), and by getting healthier through exercise (and therefore having lower health costs that we all pay for), I am contributing to society and the common good.

My fuel is food, yours is petroleum. My emission are non consequential, yours are very harmful, and in fact get into our air and drinking water, which then has to be cleaned.

You're not paying for that, we all are. Thanks, and you're welcome.

I'm a maker, if you will.

When you "recreate" by fishing, you're a taker, quite literally if you are successful in your recreation.

You should have to pay for that. Hence, the fees and taxes.
Durn, I live in the city limits so there you are wrong.

I am not a taker in that I practice catch and release.

My boat without a motor does not use any fuel. So with your reasoning I should not pay taxes on it.

If you ride your bike to work more power to you. You are one of the very few who do.

How does my standing on the shore at the ocean pollute it? Do you ever flush a toilet?

I am not complaining about my fees and taxes. I do not mind paying for what I use. That is very much unlike those who want the city, county and state to provide them a lane for recreation bike riding without paying for it.
How much insurance to you carry on that bike in case you run into my truck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area