Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
The fact that he is a recreational rider tells you that he has a car, pays property taxes, license tag fees, and chooses to pollute less and reduce overall average health care costs for everyone.
The ones I see on the road are driving SUVs with bicycles lashed to the roof. They then unload and commence to blocking traffic. Your points are pointless. Want a bike lane, pay taxes on your bike, prove you have insurance in case you run into my truck and show me a license plate on the bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 AM

27 posts, read 72,520 times
Suggesting a tax raise in uber-far-right wing South Carolina? No way. The Tea Party Governor Nikki Haley already screwed 4,000,000 residents by slashing budgets and thus exposing us to a hacker.

This state is a joke.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
If bike riders wish to ride on the roads they need to chip in and pay their way Not ever once have I seen a bike rider dressed in anything but spandex which tells me he is a recreational rider. Fix the roads but no more bike lanes for the chosen few.
I ride a bike, and probably pay more in taxes than you.

Part of the reason I don't ride even more is that there are so few bike lanes, and they are so disjointed. I'd love to commute on a bike, but don't feel the risk to my life is worth it.

There are a ton of local folk who seem to think that bikes are a nuisance. Some on here even think it's illegal to ride a bike on a road, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Raising fuel taxes when prices are too high is illogical in the present. Wiseful spending of existing funds for actual improvements, not cosmetic or beautification projects such as plantable medians and bike lanes, should take priority.
I'd support the local tax hike, if the funds went to bike lanes and paths and beautification projects. The main roads in this area are ugly. That was my first impression on visiting Greenville, and it's a common observation of visitors. Too many light poles, leaning this way and that. Too many billboards. Too many deteriorating strip malls. Too few road signs.

Who wants to invest on a street that is so dang ugly?

We should stop building new strip malls, and concentrate on beautifying the existing roads and infrastructure. Just look at dowtown Greenvile and the economic success it's had. Do you think that would have happened with main street still a two-lane road, and a big, functional bridge covering up the falls?

Don't underestimate the (economic) power of making things pretty.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,917 times
"I ride a bike, and probably pay more in taxes than you."

It is amazing how much you can know about someone by reading a couple of their posts a week. Durn, I did not know I had post any of my W2s on here.

Point here is - I fish for a hobby. For that relaxation and enjoyment I pay county taxes on a boat and motor which does not go into supporting my hobby at all. I also have to purchase an annual license. If I fish in saltwater I have to purchase an additiona license. When I go to the lake I have to pay a launch fee as well. I am willing to pay my way unlike some folks.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
Sales taxes take a larger chunk of the disposable income of the poor than of the rich. They are the worst way to generate revenue.

Also, with the rise of Internet retail, it is incredibly easy for people to evade the sales tax.

Property taxes would be a better and more equitable way of generating revenue.

Last edited by gvsteve; 12-07-2012 at 07:45 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I'd support the local tax hike, if the funds went to bike lanes and paths and beautification projects. The main roads in this area are ugly. That was my first impression on visiting Greenville, and it's a common observation of visitors. Too many light poles, leaning this way and that. Too many billboards. Too many deteriorating strip malls. Too few road signs.

Who wants to invest on a street that is so dang ugly?

We should stop building new strip malls, and concentrate on beautifying the existing roads and infrastructure. Just look at dowtown Greenvile and the economic success it's had. Do you think that would have happened with main street still a two-lane road, and a big, functional bridge covering up the falls?

Don't underestimate the (economic) power of making things pretty.
I agree. Main Street was a generic and unattractive four-lane boulevard before Mayor Max Heller's vision was initially implemented.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,163 times
The taxes you pay is proportional to your forum reputation.

Just make I-185 a bike lane. problem solved.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM

179 posts, read 328,828 times
First off...get rid of the solid cement medians that exist everywhere. They even continued to do this of the White Horse expansion which looks just wrong!

As was said by Art123, bike lanes and making more presentable roads lead to economic benefits. If there is one single reason of what could be holding back the county and the state from a greater economy, its the roads and the larger infrastructure problems.

As for the wanting to license bikes...thats wrong. Cities and counties with foresight (Theres the term) want more bike lanes.

Why? Because they are cheaper than having to expand the roads with more lanes for cars!! It also reduces pollution and increases awareness of local businesses which can be missed due to drivers just driving right passed them.

The key there is that the municipalities need the foresight to see that. The city of Greenville does and has shown that by expanding bike lanes, why cant the county?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
Cities and counties with foresight (Theres the term) want more bike lanes.

Why? Because they are cheaper than having to expand the roads with more lanes for cars!!
It would be cheaper still to add wider grass lanes beside the roads for horseback riders. The cheaper bike lane that two dozen people use per day isn't necessarily a value if the more expensive car lane could cut 10% off the daily commute time of several thousand motor vehicle drivers.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM

179 posts, read 328,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
It would be cheaper still to add wider grass lanes beside the roads for horseback riders. The cheaper bike lane that two dozen people use per day isn't necessarily a value if the more expensive car lane could cut 10% off the daily commute time of several thousand motor vehicle drivers.
Well there is always living closer to your job... so you can ride a bike to work like millions do everyday around the world. Also, makes for a good healthy population.

Also, bikes > horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area