Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 AM

19 posts, read 23,899 times

Advertisements

And again, where to start with you two?

Yanno, I've got to be honest here, I really don't care one way or the next what the property owners want. They have their private plots of land they have bought and live on, what were proposing is not on their land nor has any effect on it in any way. The ONLY effect it has is on the 2 lane road that WERE ALL helping pay for. And if we as a whole decide that the land currently owned by Greenville county could be better used as an overlook, then simply put, it will happen with or without their consent. Some don't like it? Move over to Glassy mountain and hide in their gilded cage. Seems quite the fashionable thing to do these days for people with more money than brains.

Now, where to start with the rest of this mess? Ok, downtown being able to handle what it has.... Yeah, ok. Guess you guys don't notice the bumper to bumper traffic huh? Hundreds of people wandering around the streets nearly getting hit by cars to the point they have to shut down main street. And god forbid some game is going on in that stadium. 100 extra people trying to get back onto main street somehow makes the whole process turn into a cluster.... Downtown can do anything but handle the traffic loads being placed upon it now and its almost a joke trying to get down main street at all. Have to bunny hop around it to get anywhere (luckily don't have to go there often). And one of the oldest bridges in the county goes across the reedy river and due to the ridiculous vehicle demands placed on it, its on the warning list of most deficient bridges in Greenville county. I think only 1 other is in more serious condition currently.

And as for the notion that developing a park on a 2 lane road atop a mountain being unrealistic, dear god don't tell North Carolina that! I dunno if you guys do any hiking or not, but just about every mountain trail head is 2 lanes (if your lucky). Everything from the Blue Ridge Parkway (not many nearby residents) on down to the Du Pont Forrest (Plenty of residents nearby). And Roan Mountain has hundreds of people a day ascend it and all goes well. White Oak mountain has tons of people living atop it (Albeit some want to act the same way the Glassy people do) but somehow they still have not 1, but 2 overlooks!! AND the road up to the top at one point turns into a TRULY SINGLE LANE ROAD LOL. Oh and bear wallow mountain pulls it off also with plenty of residential areas along its road, AND WITH RADIO TOWERS ATOP IT! Oh, and cows.... Quite a few cows at the very top. Is kind of strange...

As for the private lodge / restaurant idea... What is with you folks? I mean if its not privately owned and operated to keep everyone but a select few out, its bad.. This smacks of another pitiful retelling of a bad Ayn Rand novel. A public overlook will happen up there eventually. Its not so much a question of if, but when, simple as that. So ya might as well come to terms with it now and stop beating your heads against the wall trying to figure out how to stymie the notion indefinitely, your just wasting your time. I don't know why you two are so for all the crap thats been done to our downtown area (including that god awful building they just finished), but stoically against this notion. I guess no matter what is said or done you two will never see this as a good idea. Oh well, such is life. The rest of us that do see this as a good idea are going to keep moving ahead and trying to develop a plan to make this a reality.

However, you two are right about one thing, many of the self centered ones living up on the mountain are going to fight tooth and nail to keep it their playground and only their playground. So its going to have to be a grass roots effort by the masses to overcome their money and political backdoor games. So, what needs to happen now is figure out how to get the word out and see what the whole population of greenville county thinks about this idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 AM

376 posts, read 728,285 times
Lunarstorm777

Good points. I can't believe somebody tipped some sacred cows on here about downtown. That amounts to heresy on this forum. LOL

I saw an older post by a man who lives in Portland who was thinking about living here but when he visited, he thought all we spent all the money on one street in downtown, and he decided not.

We need this overlook so there is more to Greenville in terms of being unique than just the downtown area.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Lunarstorm777

Good points. I can't believe somebody tipped some sacred cows on here about downtown. That amounts to heresy on this forum. LOL

I saw an older post by a man who lives in Portland who was thinking about living here but when he visited, he thought all we spent all the money on one street in downtown, and he decided not.

We need this overlook so there is more to Greenville in terms of being unique than just the downtown area.
I just noticed this thread has 2070 views and it was started a few months ago, so there is def. some interest. Maybe it is just the property owners on top of the mountain seething in anger, doing opposition research. LOL

Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Lunarstorm777

Anybody who thinks it is a waste of money what the City of Greenville has done for downtown is nothing short of lost and confused. Look at all of the job creation and economic development that has happened downtown thanks to the city's investment. It is worth every penny.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:32 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,760,501 times
Quote:
Lunarstorm777

I guess that man has never been to downtown Portland. We don't need on overlook. The beauty of Greenville is in it's people. That is why we are thriving.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I guess that man has never been to downtown Portland. We don't need on overlook. The beauty of Greenville is in it's people. That is why we are thriving.
It isn't about what we need, we don't need most things. All I want a little taste of what those rich folk who live on the mansions on the mountain get to see everyday from their living room. Surely they can understand that.

I thought downtown Portland was supposed to be the bomb. I don't think he was a big fan of Portland or really anywhere. LOL

Greenville does have some awesome people, I was telling my boys that last night.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
I am still all for this. I do hope it gets considered.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM

19 posts, read 23,899 times
LOL, trust me Harrison, I knew I was taking my life in my own hands saying ANYTHING bad about the street paved in gold.... Luckily, I either have a death wish, or have reached a point in my life I just don't care anymore haha.

Look, its not that I don't think downtown is better off than it was 20 years ago, because I do. Its just a matter of how far do you take something? If you truly love something you can criticize it in good faith because you know there are still ways to improve things. I am so thankful they cleaned up the falls downtown, it is so much better from when they used to turn colors every time there was a big rain and the whole thing reeked of sewage. Well, the water quality still has TONS of room for improvement, but the point is its getting better. Yeah, I think the last building they finished on main street looks like half of it is missing and probably belongs in a neglected back corner of Amsterdam instead of Greenville, but such is life, not much I can do about that. Could all that cash spent on downtown been better used in other areas? Course. We don't need half the crap shoe horned into downtown, but someone with clout wanted it and as such it was built. Could we have used the cash wasted on the bilo center and that baseball stadium in a better place to build better stadiums? Yep, could have put it out near GSP and made it actually large enough to hold something worthwhile. Oh well, such is life. Can we speak out against some of the dumb things Greenville has done and not immediately be burned at the stake as witches? Dunno about that one, but it appears were not alone...

As for the job creation, eh, big deal. Most worthwhile jobs in Greenville county aren't on main street or even downtown for that matter. Our real money makers in the county are well away from falls park. The ones created along main street are typically boom and bust for the most part. Retail clerk jobs aren't exactly gonna buy you a plot of land on Paris mountain, nor do they have the best long term staying power. But, at least it helps fund the good things we like about downtown.... Not those stupid statues, but perhaps the bridge.

If everyone had the same thoughts about the swamp rabbit that apparently the people on Paris mountain will have on a small harmless overlook (if were to believe the opposition on here anyway), then it simply wouldn't have been built. Then again, the missing section near Greenville Tech is probably missing because of the attitudes of the nearby high dollar community towards the trail. The funny thing is, even before the trail was created, we all cut across from Pleasantburg out to Laurens road through their general neighborhood. Also, can you imagine how much they must have cried about the sewer plant being on Mauldin road? Point is, there will always be a small group that has a problem with anything that doesn't go completely their way. If they can show a legitimate reason why something is a bad idea, then fine, scrap the idea and try something else. If, however, their reasoning is simply "I've got mine, screw the rest of you" then that really sucks for them. Obviously a lot of people think the overlook is a good idea, otherwise we wouldn't have the cops going up to the towers to run people off in the first place or a thread on this subject in the first place ( Hey, I didn't start this one) lmao.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:14 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
To summarize a few thoughts recently posted in this discussion...

We should build an overlook on a nearby mountain (1) because some people want it and willingly violate the no trespassing law, (2) because taxpayers in the immediate neighborhood should not be allowed to voice their opinions if they oppose it, (3) because it would help the city become "more unique", and (4) (apparently dismissing that last reason) because several other cities already have one.

How many of those other cities have successfully showcased natural waterfalls in the heart of their downtown areas?

Last edited by Skyliner; 08-18-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 AM

Lunarstorm

Your post was right on the money. I think many of the people who are always hyping up downtown have some financial stake in a business down there. It almost seems like favoritism for businesses located downtown at the expense of businesses located elsewhere in town. As an example, why should people want Mellow Mushroom downtown to get more business than a pizza place at Cherrydale or on woodruff, etc? Nobody ever talks about how we can get more people to the Cherrydale area to support those businesses. I would want to get paid by those businesses downtown to promote them.

Skyliner

I think your screenname is ironic due to your opposition to an overlook that would allow average people to view the beautiful skyline of Greenville from a unique angle.

There aren't too many cities with a mountain in town. So it would still be unique, especially when you consider few people on the East coast are going to drive to Huntsville for Monte Sano. Some east coast people might visit Chattanooga because it is more touristy but Greenville is obviously easier for people to get to who live on the east coast.

Nobody said the rich people on the mountain should not be allowed to voice their opinions. You are constructing straw men. I think the reality is you don't think people who don't live on the mountain have a right to voice their opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area