Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM

19 posts, read 23,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
Point of information: Parcel #0464000100900 is owned by the South Carolina DOT, not the federal DOT.
Hmmm the SC DOT owns it eh? Interesting. Perhaps its just a highway patrol or county repeater for their radios then? I took a look at a sectional chart a few days ago and couldn't find anything in that area that would lead me to think its aircraft related really. Then again, I'm no expert on those things. Any idea why the SC DOT has that plot of land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarstorm777 View Post
Hmmm the SC DOT owns it eh? Interesting. Perhaps its just a highway patrol or county repeater for their radios then? I took a look at a sectional chart a few days ago and couldn't find anything in that area that would lead me to think its aircraft related really. Then again, I'm no expert on those things. Any idea why the SC DOT has that plot of land?
No, but ownership history shows that the SC Highway Dept assumed ownership in 1953. Ownership was transferred to SCDOT in 2007, which is essentially continuous ownership from 1953. Records don't show who owned it before then. I assume the purpose has always been for telecommunications.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM

374 posts, read 834,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post

I saw an older post by a man who lives in Portland who was thinking about living here but when he visited, he thought all we spent all the money on one street in downtown, and he decided not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
We don't need on overlook. The beauty of Greenville is in it's people. That is why we are thriving.
Most amusing quotes on this thread......

Rep to Lunarstorm777 for saying NO to the local inhouse pajama party club....hehe

Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 PM

19 posts, read 23,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
No, but ownership history shows that the SC Highway Dept assumed ownership in 1953. Ownership was transferred to SCDOT in 2007, which is essentially continuous ownership from 1953. Records don't show who owned it before then. I assume the purpose has always been for telecommunications.
Hmmm, I'd imagine your right. I guess the only way to find out would be to pester the guys down in Columbia and see if perhaps they would be willing to give us all some info. E-mail time I guess heh.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM

131 posts, read 214,442 times
I read through the other pages of this thread and may have missed a deeper discussion of the property ownership of Tower Rd but I don't remember seeing it so here goes:

According to the Greenville County GIS, the DOT only owns the parcel at the end of Tower Rd. Gospel Fellowship Association owns the parcel where Tower Rd starts at the intersection of Altamont Rd. Each parcel that comes off of Tower Rd should have an easement across the parcel you would cross to get to the successive parcel (ie the DOT has an easement across Gospel Fellowship, William Giles, and William Dickson.

This easement is probably written for maintenance purposes only or for access by employees and their contractors. The main tower assemblies at the top are owned by five other companies who use Tower Rd to access their parcels. So people who go to the main tower assemblies are trespassing on the property of Gospel Fellowship and potentially others unless they have permission to be there. If there are "no trespassing" signs on the site, then you are trespassing.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,221 times
Tower Road is also known as State Road SR-S-23-505. That suggests to me that Tower Road is a true right of way and not just an easement. However, you are very correct about Gospel Fellowship owning much of the land nearby, which land probably would be difficult to obtain for this purpose. I was just biding my time, waiting for someone to figure that out.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM

348 posts, read 497,266 times
Default Paris Mountain Overlook

What a beautiful view from this vantage point, until you look closely at the area surrounding your feet and the graffiti splayed on the surrounding buildings. What a mess! Trash and graffiti everywhere! IMHO, anything that cleans up this area would be welcomed. I would volunteer my services to assist in this cleanup. Why don't we clean up the area first, bring attention to this area through press or TV coverage and see where public opinion and perhaps a voter referendum take us? Again, JMHO.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuguy2 View Post
What a beautiful view from this vantage point, until you look closely at the area surrounding your feet and the graffiti splayed on the surrounding buildings. What a mess! Trash and graffiti everywhere! IMHO, anything that cleans up this area would be welcomed. I would volunteer my services to assist in this cleanup. Why don't we clean up the area first, bring attention to this area through press or TV coverage and see where public opinion and perhaps a voter referendum take us? Again, JMHO.
That sounds great. I think most are in favor of it. I see threads pop up on CD all the time mentioning things people would like see. Before you know it, here it comes. I wouldn't be surprised with all the response to this thread that something doesn't happen.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
As a reference for readers who have not seen the summit, here is a video from YouTube:

2010-02 Paris Mountain Summit - YouTube

Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
As a reference for readers who have not seen the summit, here is a video from YouTube:

2010-02 Paris Mountain Summit - YouTube
How do you get there? Is it right off Altamont Rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area