Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 PM

13 posts, read 52,963 times

Advertisements

Why don't the elementary schools in Greenville recognize Halloween? When we lived in NJ the schools would allow the kids to dress up for the day and they had a Halloween Parade around the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:10 PM

617 posts, read 2,576,003 times
Because some people are stupid and think it's a 'devil-worshiping' holiday. Seriously.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,155,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
Because some people are stupid and think it's a 'devil-worshiping' holiday. Seriously.

Just today on the radio I heard about a book entitled, "Redeeming Halloween". It was written by two Christian women who did extensive research on the holiday and found that it is actually a Christian holiday. It was established to honor martyred saints. Interesting?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,568,970 times
As Chicago transplants here in Greenville, we find Halloween for the most part doesn't exist. Few children go door-to-door and few doors participate. If you have the opportunity go to an event downtown or at a church. Trunk-or-treat activities are growing around the area.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:22 PM

39 posts, read 157,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
As Chicago transplants here in Greenville, we find Halloween for the most part doesn't exist. Few children go door-to-door and few doors participate. If you have the opportunity go to an event downtown or at a church. Trunk-or-treat activities are growing around the area.
As a child here- we didn't celebrate Halloween at school- attended a Christian (Lutheran) elementary school, but there were activities county-wide- be it at the Zoo, mall or limited trick or treating...
I noticed that many kids would come to our neighborhood for trick or treating- surprisingly, but it was still hush hush.

Didn't really get to enjoy it much til I was in college away from here...

I think it's mainly due to Greenville being the BUCKLE of the Bible Belt...

I will say that upon returning here, I've noticed that it is more celebrated among adults than with the kids- be it at Wild Wings' or elsewhere...

Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,568,970 times
I forgot to add a tip earlier...buy extra candy to have for your kids (and yourself) when they come home with less treats than you could ever imagine. And remember, if the light isn't on...don't knock...you will save yourself a nasty confrontation. You would think with all the transplants here that it would be changing, but in the 4 years that my children have trick or treated here, not once have they come home satisfied. We vow each year to go to an organized event next year but with work and all, it never happens.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,854,626 times
no school I ever went to celebrated Halloween, and i'm from Ny/Pennsylvania area, although I am going up north for Halloween parties this year, it is mostly because my friends have birthdays near the holiday. oh and for the record, when I went trick or treating up north, I would come home with a pillowcase full of candy, and then some usually, most of the time it took me a month to eat all that candy, sometimes longer, feel sad for any kid that doesn't get the Halloween experience I did

Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 AM

617 posts, read 2,576,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Just today on the radio I heard about a book entitled, "Redeeming Halloween". It was written by two Christian women who did extensive research on the holiday and found that it is actually a Christian holiday. It was established to honor martyred saints. Interesting?
Definitely interesting. I wasn't saying I agreed, that's just what some people think!

Also, I always trick-or-treated growing up. Most people around my neighborhood were always giving out candy. Try the north main and earle street areas.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM

We had a bunch of kids come to the house last year on Halloween. I thought we were going to run out of candy. Alot of the neighbors decorated their houses as well. I was just curious as to why nothing is ever said about it at school.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:05 AM

As luck would have it someone dropped off some over the top religious papers on our mailbox yesterday about how Halloween was bad and how it is a celebration of evil etc. They only dropped it on houses that had Halloween decorations. We have some pumpkins out, a couple of ghosts and an inflatable witch. By now means over the top or remotely evil or scary. I guess they didn't have anything else better to do with their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area