Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times

Advertisements

Halloween was/is/has been a Christian holiday for over a thousand years to celebrate the saints (it was a date taken over from a Celtic celebration). History is ripe with conquering peoples' taking over the conquered people's festivals/churches, etc. as a way of maintaining power. This time of year is a time of celebration of the dead across many cultures, largely coinciding with the seemingly loss of life that we see in nature this time of year. And the timing of Christmas has nothing to do with the birth of Jesus. It has to do with converting Roman pagans who celebrated a winter festival on that date.

Good to know that my History degree has some worth, if not to bore people on public forums...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojo View Post
As luck would have it someone dropped off some over the top religious papers on our mailbox yesterday about how Halloween was bad and how it is a celebration of evil etc. They only dropped it on houses that had Halloween decorations. We have some pumpkins out, a couple of ghosts and an inflatable witch. By now means over the top or remotely evil or scary. I guess they didn't have anything else better to do with their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM

617 posts, read 2,573,011 times
I like history .

Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM

16 posts, read 63,877 times
Default Actually....

I grew up in the upstate and when I was young trick or treating was HUGE! But over the years, for safety concerns mainly, it has fallen off. It has become much more centralized. Most people now go to a mall or a downtown district where the merchants offer door to door treats instead of going to random neighborhoods. A lot of it has to do with promoting the downtown revitalization efforts in many communities, etc. Also, many churches and other organizations hold Trunk or Treats, etc, so even in those cases its still very centralized. I think, due to traffic, etc this is a better alternative than just going to random people's homes.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:48 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,128 times
I guess it just depends on where you live. My kids had a great time last year and most people in the neighborhood participated. Then we went to Main Street, Fountain Inn. I was amazed at how many people were out and about. Plus, our church has something planned for this weekend. I think some of the parks departments have things planned as well.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:45 PM

69 posts, read 322,476 times
When I was in elementary school abt 20 yrs ago we were able to dress up, we had a parade in the morning and got it all over with.

Halloween was BIG back then. Kids everywhere. We could roam the streets in our neighborhood for hours. Now in that very same neighborhood not ONE single house will have a light on.

When we lived in a subdivision it was huge. Last year we had over 200 trick or treaters before I got tired and turned the lights out.
They definitely flock to the nicer neighborhoods and subdivions now. And all the churches have some sort of deal too.

We plan to go back to the old neighborhood to TorT this year.

Also, the downtown area in Greer is a Tor T hotspot, right off Poinsett, with all the old/big houses.
Lots of houses decorated- all out.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportysocrchik98 View Post
As a child here- we didn't celebrate Halloween at school- attended a Christian (Lutheran) elementary school, but there were activities county-wide- be it at the Zoo, mall or limited trick or treating...
I noticed that many kids would come to our neighborhood for trick or treating- surprisingly, but it was still hush hush.

Didn't really get to enjoy it much til I was in college away from here...

I think it's mainly due to Greenville being the BUCKLE of the Bible Belt...

I will say that upon returning here, I've noticed that it is more celebrated among adults than with the kids- be it at Wild Wings' or elsewhere...

Every church I have ever attended (quite a few churches) all had some sort of Halloween event. Just fyi, there is a minor imbalance in the Greenville area, and it seems that the vast majority of "children" happen to be teenagers much too old for trick or treating.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Every church I have ever attended (quite a few churches) all had some sort of Halloween event. Just fyi, there is a minor imbalance in the Greenville area, and it seems that the vast majority of "children" happen to be teenagers much too old for trick or treating.
You could always play a trick on them...but reward them nicely afterwards. If they go to the trouble to dress up; why not let them have some fun?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 19,386 times
I lived in California and they didn't celebrate halloween in schools either and it wasn't because of religious purposes-schools just don't do it anymore. I think the trunk or treats are great out here and safe! A lot of people here and all over don't give out candy because they got tired of kids too old, or not dressed up,going door to door wanting candy, and it ruined it for a lot of people. I don't think christians believe overall that halloween is evil. But some people who are celebrating it are making it into something scary even for my child who is supposed to have fun! It was a holiday originally celebrated to respect the dead. To me its just a day I get to dress up and no one will laugh at me, but thinking of your loved ones that have passed is not a bad idea for a holiday either!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,038 times
I grew up here, have been in the same neighborhood all my life. We always did Halloween. At school we didn't dress up during the day but we had a huge festivel with haunted houses, games and the such on the nearest to Halloween Friday, not on Halloween because that would interfer with trick or treating. Later when I was nearing the end of the trick or treat age sick people started putting razor blades in candy and apples and giving them out to kids. Word spread and the fun came to an end. My children went trick or treating but the whole area was into the "only go to the mall or stores" phase cause you had to go where it was safe. I never knew anyone who every had a bad Halloween experience but I do believe that the tampering with the treats by sickos as well as the bible belt are the reasons for the slackness of Halloween fun for kids. Everyone should research the holiday and discover the real meaning. And although I don't believe it started out as a Christian Holliday I do know that it was not to celebrate the devil. Pagans celebrate the changing seasons and the dead loved ones.
Dena, Simpsonville South Carolina

Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM

306 posts, read 689,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojo View Post
As luck would have it someone dropped off some over the top religious papers on our mailbox yesterday about how Halloween was bad and how it is a celebration of evil etc. They only dropped it on houses that had Halloween decorations. We have some pumpkins out, a couple of ghosts and an inflatable witch. By now means over the top or remotely evil or scary. I guess they didn't have anything else better to do with their time.
Wow...wait until they see my house! I'll get them real upset. My sister was born on Halloween and we always had huge parties....I am just keeping the party going. I'm not celebrating evil....I'm just dressing up and having fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area