Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:11 AM

39 posts, read 117,870 times

Advertisements

Well Although not much at posting, I have been reading all the threads for these past 3 months and we came down to Greenville area last week and took a whirlwind tour of 10 homes and picked out our favorite in a beautiful older sub-division called Holly Tree Plantation in Simpsonville.
We put a bid in which was accepted and now awaiting home inspection next week to finalize all.

Was quite impressed with array of homes in/around greenville city and county. Simpsonville was interesting, we came off 276(Laurens rd) and then went off 14 to Adams Mill to the development.

What we liked about it-- large enough home, mature and private area, close to interstate and Greenville(where family is) was 15 min during day and 20 min during rush hour.

Beautiful area right on golf course, with no new development allowed, so we know what we see is what will be here in future.
All homes are quite nice and quite affordable.

I am anxious to have us be there before end of year in the new home.

I would welcome a chance to share any tips we can with people looking to move down to Greenville area(city / county and outside)

On another thread I mentioned some zip codes we were to see and asked.

We saw all of the homes including the ones in 29611 around westcliffe and saluda lake.

All in all, I can tell those considering a move, now is a good time if the chance even remotely exists. We already have some potential offers on our homes in PA so hopefully this will all fall into place

If anyone has a need for a good realtor, home inspector or possibly some good tips on some great homes( found 5 of 10 to be all we wanted, so it was tough to wittle it down) just ask, I found my new home through asking here and being given directions by the great folks on this forum..

Greenville/Simpsonville here we come....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 02:06 PM

234 posts, read 1,270,553 times
Congrats, nice area!
Leggo

Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,378 times
Congratulations! Holly Tree seems so peaceful, and I think the location is good. They have some great programs at the Golden Strip Y, especially for kids. You will be virtually around the corner from there. Good luck in getting everything settled in PA. Hope you have a great move.
jac

Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,727 times
lol didn't i tell you Mauldin or Simpsonville GOod stuff!

and Welcome to the city Soon To See Change

Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM

37 posts, read 181,294 times
This is for soontoscfrompa, I was wondering what you are doing for work? Was it is easy to look for a job? We are considering a move to SC and are not sure if we should secure a job first then put the house on the marker or do at the same time. We are thinking of renting for a year in or around Simpsonville before buying a home. The market has been at a stand still here in Rhode Island for homes, so we are not sure how long it will take to sell it. My husband is a Supervisor at building materials warehouse. Not sure what he find down south, any suggestions would be great.
Thanks for you time.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:02 AM

39 posts, read 117,870 times
Default Here is how I am handling work- long story but interesting

Hi
I wanted to reply to poster who asked what I am doing about my job. Background on me is consulting within tech side- focusing on a particular piece of large scale testing software for testing and defect management(called HP Quality Center-used to be Mercury Quality Center).
MY current position on E Coast is setup now that I am telecommuting to my job from my home in PA almost 90% of the workweek.
This was done in a conscious effort to see if my work productivity changed versus when I was in the actual office.
It just so happens my boss is aware of the impending move and reasons why(family decision to take care of elderly parent) and has supported me 100%.

As far as moving down to Simpsonville, well once hooked up to DSL provider I have a secured gateway to log into the corp network and can do all my same work as if I was in my regular corp office.
The only difference is of course all staff mtgs will be handled via my dialing into a conference line.
What will happen over the move timeframe- I plan to have possession of the new home about 2 weeks prior to actually physically having the movers come in. I will work on getting the DSL and phone line setup for me, but, because of the nature and type of job I have, there is a large facility in downtown Greenville which will allow me to plug my computer into their network( large bank with initials BOA ) and be in same network whilst I get my home wired up. I really do not plan to on a vacation very long, just long enough to switch off here in PA and get all wired up in SC...

So, I am not changing jobs or leaving my current one, just changing locations on where I do it. Obviously I have planned this for months and have been fortunate that telecommuting was offered as a lifestyle option just as we made the choice to care for a parent. I am lucky, a good boss, a normal independence in my job that is not tied to a specific locale and stroke of luck that the bank has a large facility right in Metro area. Believe it or not, when we first visited Greenville last yr, the idea of moving down here was discussed and my idea was to quit my job and look for another one. But in reasearching it more, I found a willingness of my company and boss to want me to stay on.
That is why I am so interested in dsl and phone providers thread on this forum

Not sure if this helps but for me it took alot of conversations with my boss to look at all our options.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:51 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
We are moving down there when our house sells. What realtor did you work with? I'm keeping lists of houses on several websites of realtors down there, but don't know which one I'll use when it's time to swoop down and find a house.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 AM

609 posts, read 1,620,727 times
check foreclosures too. I hear a lot of houses under 5 years have opened up to people already in simpsonville

Old 11-25-2007, 06:01 AM

7 posts, read 22,348 times
Gentlearts.. we found one of the best buyers agents in the region! She once owned her own agency but decided that acting strictly as a buyers agent was more fulfilling. She has 20 years experience here in the GSP area, knows it like the back of her hand and will bend over backwards to seal the deal. I can't even begin to tell you how grateful we are to have met her!

Importantly, she has just the right personality to handle selling agents and their sellers with diplomacy and tact, but she's tuff, too. Will not take NO for an answer- but, does it with such finesse and charm- they end up thanking her..LOL. I can only begin to tell you how she handled ALL the coordination of inspectors, repairmen, mortgage brokers and appraisers. We barely did a thing! And she managed to get our seller to go above and beyond. You see?

Give her a call- tell her that Liz and Cory sent you... you will admire her dedication and love of her profession!

Tracy McAllister with D Joyner Prudential. 864-230-3710

Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,020 times
We are moving there in February and we used Keller Williams - Real estate agent Candy Morhardt to find our beautiful home. We had to come up as we live in Alabama on the weekend to look at houses. She was awesome. She worked non stop for 3 days (friday, Saturday, and Sunday from sun up to sun down)to help us find the perfect home because she knew our window was small. Other realtors told me they didn't work on sundays and that Fridays and Saturdays were not guaranteed. I had 14 houses I wanted to look at and she made it happen. Loved her work ethic and would recommend her to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area