Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well...err...no offense, but football for one. While Clemson does have one national championship and a few ACC championships, USC has no national championships and no SEC championship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
And sadly, that was USC's BEST year ever. Sad. Where are the national championships, or let alone, just the championship title for the SEC?

So now you know something you should know before moving to Greenville. College football in SC, while instaters will debate it to death, is really not very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I am not from SC, have no family members at either school, and am not a fan of either school, but I definitely don't consider them irrelevant in football as of late. They're not powerhouses, but I also don't think that in order to be "relevant" you have to have national championships or conference championships. That's not "relevant", that's "elite."
I am harpy that they are not powerhouses in football. Let Mississippi or Alabama have them. I wish Clemson and USC become powerhouses of academics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,019 times
^ One sells tickets...and garners the schools' monies for athletic programs...the other offers long-standing tuition and reputation that will breed a long line of alumni. It's nice to have both...but fiscally wiser to have the later--and will most likely serve the community better. Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale, and Princeton, have football teams...no one cares on their BSC positioning...and they have no shortage of applicants and can pretty much name their tuition. Each have pretty good Hockey teams as well : ).

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
^ One sells tickets...and garners the schools' monies for athletic programs...the other offers long-standing tuition and reputation that will breed a long line of alumni. It's nice to have both...but fiscally wiser to have the later--and will most likely serve the community better. Harvard, Dartmouth, Yale, and Princeton, have football teams...no one cares on their BSC positioning...and they have no shortage of applicants and can pretty much name their tuition. Each have pretty good Hockey teams as well : ).
This I fully agree with. I would like to have the equivalent of Yale or Duke or even USC Chapel Hill here in South Carolina. I hate it when we lag in academics and are proud of our football tradition. Let us put academics first and sports second.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM

106 posts, read 149,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenGDavis View Post
Woodruff Road is too crowded. No one goes there anymore.
Then why is it still crowded?

Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSpec2 View Post
It's a joke - people are always saying, "I never go to Woodruff Road to shop - it's too crowded."

Yet, Woodruff Road is almost always crowded - particularly on evenings and weekends.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM

505 posts, read 940,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSpec2 View Post
Continue reading the thread beyond the post you replied to and your question will be answered.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:27 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
I had an accident there 2 mo. after I got here in '10, it was a Friday night and I got hit by a young girl riding with her b/f and another guy, they had obviously been out "having fun" and were going fast, but since I was making a L. turn (almost already entering the shopping area) the trooper gave me a ticke,t, bummer...

Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM

30 posts, read 41,360 times
1. There is no minority professional class.

2. Outside of the church and nature activities, there is not much for teenagers to do.

3. There is a lot of undercover racism from locals.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:09 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
Not enough for teenagers to do? There's downtown... there are movie theaters here, malls, fast food places for them to hang out and all the festivals here are not exclusive for adults or little kids so I don't get that... I feel certain that there's plenty for them to do, unless they're really picky and/or lack imagination...

I'm Hispanic and can't say I've felt discrimination, maybe in the form that it's been kind of hard for me to make real friends, but that could also be for other reasons, who knows!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:42 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerenatee View Post
1. There is no minority professional class.

2. Outside of the church and nature activities, there is not much for teenagers to do.

3. There is a lot of undercover racism from locals.
Maybe I and my colleagues are the exception not the rule, but we are all minority professionals doing pretty well here. I don't attend church and I stay busy with activities, and I rarely do the nature thing. Respectfully I disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area