Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Academy Sports & Outdoors can easily open a store in Greer. The problem is there is not an available location along West Wade Hampton Boulevard to open a store. I do not think locating next to Bass Pro Shops would be a wise idea for them.

Two other outdoor retailers I would like to consider to come to Greer, or Greenville or Spartanburg, are Gander Mountain and Sportman's Warehouse.

For lodging, could Greer support Great Wolf Lodge?
There is already a Great Wolf Lodge just a short drive up 85 in the Concord-Charlotte area. So I am not sure they would be as likely to place another location so close by. And BPS also has a store up there, but it is more of a retail draw rather than a tourist destination with a water park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 10:57 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There is already a Great Wolf Lodge just a short drive up 85 in the Concord-Charlotte area. So I am not sure they would be as likely to place another location so close by. And BPS also has a store up there, but it is more of a retail draw rather than a tourist destination with a water park.
Concord is nowhere near Greer by a few miles. Ninety-five miles is the distance between Interstate 85's exit 60 in South Carolina to exit 49 in North Carolina, which is where Concord Mills, Bass Pro Shops and Great Wolf Lodge are located in Concord.

I would like to see better lodging options than a Super 8. The site needs something nice with 200 rooms in a mid-rise of eight to ten levels, some convention space and good dining options.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:20 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Who is the developer of this center? Little info at the press conference on the development as a whole mainly good ole boy pats on the backs.

Ok Greenville you are on the clock now. Go get Ikea or some other big fish. LOL

Did BPS ever announce a store at Biltmore Square mall in Asheville. It was heavily rumored a while back. I know they are removing the roof of the mall and turning it into an outdoor outlet mall
Pacolet Milliken is the developer I believe.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
I am very excited to see Bass Pro Shops coming to the area. It is overdue. It will be worthwhile the wait.
The retail business never ceases to amaze me - did BPS never realize how many upstate SC customers they had until now? Competition coming here must have spurred them to do this. At least they are smart enough not to locate on Woodruff Rd. Many people I talked to still haven't gone to Cabela's because they're waiting for the crowd/traffic to die down.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
The retail business never ceases to amaze me - did BPS never realize how many upstate SC customers they had until now? Competition coming here must have spurred them to do this. At least they are smart enough not to locate on Woodruff Rd. Many people I talked to still haven't gone to Cabela's because they're waiting for the crowd/traffic to die down.
Bass Pro Shops woke up quickly when Cabela's announced their Magnolia Park store. When you figure out the size of the store, the features and the products, you have an idea of which areas to improve or add on. I think Bass Pro Shops can provide more products and features in a larger store in a better location.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM

For those interested in the progress of Kohl's at Piedmont Marketplace on West Wade Hampton Boulevard, the front exterior has been painted a dark shade of brown and the entrance/exit is being constructed. In the back the loading/unloading docks are under construction.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,887 times
Quote:
Academy Sports & Outdoors can easily open a store in Greer. The problem is there is not an available location along West Wade Hampton Boulevard to open a store. I do not think locating next to Bass Pro Shops would be a wise idea for them.

Two other outdoor retailers I would like to consider to come to Greer, or Greenville or Spartanburg, are Gander Mountain and Sportman's Warehouse.
There already are four Academy Sports stores in the Upstate, all well spread out among Spartanburg, Greenville, Easley and Anderson. (By contrast, the greater Charlotte area has only three Academy Sports stores, including Rock Hill.) I don't see that a new store between Greenville and Spartanburg would fit in what appears to be their general strategy at this time. (However, I'm sure there will be plenty of people to disagree with me.)

While I would like to see a Sportsman's Warehouse in the Upstate, to save me from having to trek down to Columbia, a quick look at their store locator map suggests to me that a Charlotte-area store is more likely before another South Carolina store. As for Gander Mountain, where I also like to shop whenever I can, there currently exists a wide gap in store distribution between North Carolina (seven stores, thanks to acquisition of Overton's) and southwest Georgia (two stores), so it will be interesting to see where they choose to go next. (Perhaps Columbia might be a safer bet.) However, I don't foresee them jumping into the burgeoning Greenville-Spartanburg outdoor-retail market anytime soon. I don't think either Sportsman's Warehouse or Gander Mountain has the capitalization to go head-to-head with BPS and/or Cabela's.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
There already are four Academy Sports stores in the Upstate, all well spread out among Spartanburg, Greenville, Easley and Anderson. (By contrast, the greater Charlotte area has only three Academy Sports stores, including Rock Hill.) I don't see that a new store between Greenville and Spartanburg would fit in what appears to be their general strategy at this time. (However, I'm sure there will be plenty of people to disagree with me.)

While I would like to see a Sportsman's Warehouse in the Upstate, to save me from having to trek down to Columbia, a quick look at their store locator map suggests to me that a Charlotte-area store is more likely before another South Carolina store. As for Gander Mountain, where I also like to shop whenever I can, there currently exists a wide gap in store distribution between North Carolina (seven stores, thanks to acquisition of Overton's) and southwest Georgia (two stores), so it will be interesting to see where they choose to go next. (Perhaps Columbia might be a safer bet.) However, I don't foresee them jumping into the burgeoning Greenville-Spartanburg outdoor-retail market anytime soon. I don't think either Sportsman's Warehouse or Gander Mountain has the capitalization to go head-to-head with BPS and/or Cabela's.
I am surprised Academy Sports & Outdoors has three stores in the Charlotte area. The area is large enough to easily support ten stores. If they intend to expand more into central and eastern North Carolina and along coastal South Carolina, it is logical to be making sound plans before enacting expansion.

Either Sportsman's Warehouse or Gander Mountain will step forward into upstate South Carolina sooner than later.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:46 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,887 times
Quote:
Either Sportsman's Warehouse or Gander Mountain will step forward into upstate South Carolina sooner than later.
Well, as long as we are crystal-ball-gazing (and maybe sliding off topic a little bit), I suppose one idea might be for one of those two retailers to put a mega-store in the Anderson/Lake Hartwell area, perhaps at Clemson Blvd. and I-85. Such a location could siphon off customers from the Anderson/Clemson/Easley market in addition to short-stopping customers from northeastern Georgia who might otherwise continue on to Cabela's and BPS.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
Well, as long as we are crystal-ball-gazing (and maybe sliding off topic a little bit), I suppose one idea might be for one of those two retailers to put a mega-store in the Anderson/Lake Hartwell area, perhaps at Clemson Blvd. and I-85. Such a location could siphon off customers from the Anderson/Clemson/Easley market in addition to short-stopping customers from northeastern Georgia who might otherwise continue on to Cabela's and BPS.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Anderson has Grady's Great Outdoors. It is similar to Gander Mountain and Sportman's Warehouse and it is local and independent.

Greer needs a major sporting goods store. I know Hibbett Sports has a store at North Hampton Market on Wade Hampton Boulevard. It would be nice to have something like Dick's Sporting Goods or Academy Sports & Outdoors without traveling to Greenville and Spartanburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area