Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
No matter how great of a parent I am, I still can't teach my child physics, or chemistry, or calculus.

I can't build a science lab in the garage, or an auditorium with a stage in my living room.

I can't provide my kid with an orchestra, or a football team, or a woodshop.

I can't get a phd in all the subjects my child should learn, much less spend years and years getting better at teaching those subjects to my child.

As a parent, I can't create a safe atmosphere of learning, curiosity, and achievement in my kid's school.

The teachers do that. The school does that. It's absurd to think I could take the place of all the things a school does. Absurd.

The public high school I went to ranks in the top 100 on this list. There is no way, as a parent, that I could give my child the education I received there, with the school choices we have here in Greenville.
Agreed. No one argued that point. You created a false narrative and then argued against it. The point is the "good schools" tend to have more parental involvement than the bad ones. Neo Progressives such as yourself are always arguing for "more money" for education, but the district that spends the most per student in the nation, Washington DC, often puts out some of the worst results. A recent report said that 80% of recent high school graduates in NYC can't read on a remedial level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
Greenville Tech Charter high schools are not listed and from the stats on the Gvl Tech website, I would think they should:

Quote:
Class of 2012:
• Received $5,676,152.00 in scholarship offerings
• 16 graduates received Associate’s
Degrees from Greenville Technical
College
• 7 received dual Associate’s Degrees
• Average college GPA of 3.25
• 54% of the class received 24 or more college credit hours
• 60 eligible for the SC Life Scholarship
• 14 offered the SC Palmetto Fellows
Scholarships
100% enrolled to attend college
https://sites.google.com/a/staff.gtchs.org/gtchs/

My daughter will be attending Brashier Middle College next year. She has to maintain a B average or risk being dropped from the school.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Agreed. No one argued that point. You created a false narrative and then argued against it. The point is the "good schools" tend to have more parental involvement than the bad ones. Neo Progressives such as yourself are always arguing for "more money" for education, but the district that spends the most per student in the nation, Washington DC, often puts out some of the worst results. A recent report said that 80% of recent high school graduates in NYC can't read on a remedial level.
I agree about parental involvement. I keep bringing up Brashier Middle College, but they make it mandatory that parents are involved. Parents have to perform a certain amount of hours or your student will not gradutate. I think it's very cool and look forward to helping in anyway I can.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree about parental involvement. I keep bringing up Brashier Middle College, but they make it mandatory that parents are involved. Parents have to perform a certain amount of hours or your student will not gradutate. I think it's very cool and look forward to helping in anyway I can.
I agree and the argument that many on the left make (and one that I can agree with) is that many kids don't have a good family structure. They believe that's where the government comes in, I believe that's where volunteerism and charity come in.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,309 times
Quote:
No matter how great of a parent I am, I still can't teach my child physics, or chemistry, or calculus.

I can't build a science lab in the garage, or an auditorium with a stage in my living room.

I can't get a phd in all the subjects my child should learn, much less spend years and years getting better at teaching those subjects to my child.

As a parent, I can't create a safe atmosphere of learning, curiosity, and achievement in my kid's school.

The teachers do that. The school does that. It's absurd to think I could take the place of all the things a school does. Absurd.

The public high school I went to ranks in the top 100 on this list. There is no way, as a parent, that I could give my child the education I received there, with the school choices we have here in Greenville.
A parent absolutely can teach their child math, physics, chemistry, etc. Read the chapter they are reading. It's written for a teenager to understand - the parent should be able to also understand it. High school level classes are usually not taught by Ph. D - level teachers.

A parent can create a safe atmosphere of learning, curiosity, and achievement at home, if not at school.

And even if a parent can't replace a school, they absolutely can supplement everything that is done at a school in a meaningful way.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Greenville Tech Charter high schools are not listed and from the stats on the Gvl Tech website, I would think they should:

https://sites.google.com/a/staff.gtchs.org/gtchs/

My daughter will be attending Brashier Middle College next year. She has to maintain a B average or risk being dropped from the school.

That school focuses on dual enrollment classes that give both High School and College credit. This survey only focuses on AP/IB courses so a school like Greenville Tech Charter would be rated very low by this survey due to a lack of AP/IB courses. From a standpoint of what makes a student ready for college, I would think dual enrollment classes would be an excellent measure but this survey gives them no value.

Oh, and can I teach my children physics, chemistry, and calculus? You bet I can - I have found that I often know more about math and science subjects than the teachers my kids have had in school.

What it is hard to provide at home is the social interaction kids get in school and all the extracurricular and fine arts activities offered by a good school. Hard to form a marching band if you are home schooling......

Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
That school focuses on dual enrollment classes that give both High School and College credit. This survey only focuses on AP/IB courses so a school like Greenville Tech Charter would be rated very low by this survey due to a lack of AP/IB courses. From a standpoint of what makes a student ready for college, I would think dual enrollment classes would be an excellent measure but this survey gives them no value.

Oh, and can I teach my children physics, chemistry, and calculus? You bet I can - I have found that I often know more about math and science subjects than the teachers my kids have had in school.

What it is hard to provide at home is the social interaction kids get in school and all the extracurricular and fine arts activities offered by a good school. Hard to form a marching band if you are home schooling......
Not hard at all, took me all of 3 sexconds.

marching band for home schoolers - Bing

Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Not hard at all, took me all of 3 sexconds.

marching band for home schoolers - Bing

That search would be great if we lived in Michigan - no opportunities here in Greenville.

Don't get me wrong - there are many advantages to home schooling and for some families that is the best choice for their children. There are also some drawbacks and for some families those drawbacks outweigh the positives.

If you want your child to have the traditional high school experience to include marching band, sports, prom, etc. it is difficult to replicate all of that in a home school environment. It can be done, but it is by no means easy.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
That search would be great if we lived in Michigan - no opportunities here in Greenville.

Don't get me wrong - there are many advantages to home schooling and for some families that is the best choice for their children. There are also some drawbacks and for some families those drawbacks outweigh the positives.

If you want your child to have the traditional high school experience to include marching band, sports, prom, etc. it is difficult to replicate all of that in a home school environment. It can be done, but it is by no means easy.
Fair enough. Our oldest is entering kindergarten this fall and we're putting her in public school as the elementary aschool that she is zoned for is quite good, but as she gets older, we will weigh all of our options.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM

4,225 posts, read 6,903,388 times
Quote:

This is the definition of a straw man. While I agree with your last point that a better school is a better school (and that parent involvement can't completely make up the difference), you totally misconstrued the idea of parent involvement with schooling and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area