Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM

107 posts, read 520,061 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to re-iterate that Charter Cable is a very bad choice. We ignored the warnings and got the Charter Bundle when we moved here 2 months ago. It has been nothing but a headache. The internet service works about 50% of the time, the cable boxes work poorly and they rob you blind in billing and customer service is much worse than I could have imagined. We have lots of unresolved issues with Charter and are getting satellite hooked up next week. Get this, in my neighborhood they hook up your cable from the street and leave the cable loose on the ground running into your house until another team comes and buries the line. Mine has been running across my lawn for 2 months and some of my neighbors are going on 5 months now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 06:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits&Gravy View Post
Just wanted to re-iterate that Charter Cable is a very bad choice. We ignored the warnings and got the Charter Bundle when we moved here 2 months ago. It has been nothing but a headache. The internet service works about 50% of the time, the cable boxes work poorly and they rob you blind in billing and customer service is much worse than I could have imagined. We have lots of unresolved issues with Charter and are getting satellite hooked up next week. Get this, in my neighborhood they hook up your cable from the street and leave the cable loose on the ground running into your house until another team comes and buries the line. Mine has been running across my lawn for 2 months and some of my neighbors are going on 5 months now.
Now that its November you will likely be waiting till spring for them to bury your cable. I waited longer than I can remember.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:34 AM

18 posts, read 119,610 times
How is alltel cell service there?

Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reissman View Post
How is alltel cell service there?
It is very solid. It seems like that's the provider that's been in the area the longest and is built out a little better than anybody else so I would recommend them. My uncle works for BellSouth/AT&T and they use to provide him an alltel phone until at&t built out more into the area.

I'm using alltel, Verizon and AT&T (pre-pay) now and nobody is really bad there, especially in the more built-out areas. When it comes to all the residential and outlying areas though I would rate alltel the best, just a little ahead of Verizon which are both better than AT&T. Verizon is the most expensive though and doesn't have any special features like My Circle or Rollover so I'm about to drop them in January after the contract is up. AT&T tends to drop off moreso indoors and I seem to get more dropped calls with them as somebody else mentioned ... go figure.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 AM

18 posts, read 119,610 times
Thanks for the info on alltel. I have alltel up here in Michigan and if we move down there I want to keep them. Alltel works really good in the rual areas up here and roams on Verizon in the city which is included so its a great choice

Old 11-12-2007, 02:02 PM

Alltel is the best. You can roam the entire state and not be roaming. You can go to Virginia Beach and not roam. Its great. They do drop calls from time to time, but you get automatic credit for them.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 55,705 times
Well thank you all for responding although I'm still unsure about which cellphone provider I will switch to after my two-year contract with T-Mobile is over.

Here is an update:

I got DirecTV installed, not through Bellsouth since the DSL is not available in my area so I could not get the bundle. So far so good with DirectTV, a nice quality product, just would like to know how long this $10 rebate will take and will it be prorated once it goes into effect?

So I think I will HAVE to get Charter for internet. Unfortunately, but yes! Even my DirecTV installation guy said Charter was not a good best but what other choice do I have? I will only sign up with Charter for the internet and guess just to look forward to moving to another area or bombard Bellsouth with hate calls as to why dont they offer it in my area.

Anywho...I'm excited about my move to Greenville and appreciate everybody's insight and opinions!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM

94 posts, read 377,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeFlorida View Post
Well thank you all for responding although I'm still unsure about which cellphone provider I will switch to after my two-year contract with T-Mobile is over.

Here is an update:

I got DirecTV installed, not through Bellsouth since the DSL is not available in my area so I could not get the bundle. So far so good with DirectTV, a nice quality product, just would like to know how long this $10 rebate will take and will it be prorated once it goes into effect?

So I think I will HAVE to get Charter for internet. Unfortunately, but yes! Even my DirecTV installation guy said Charter was not a good best but what other choice do I have? I will only sign up with Charter for the internet and guess just to look forward to moving to another area or bombard Bellsouth with hate calls as to why dont they offer it in my area.

Anywho...I'm excited about my move to Greenville and appreciate everybody's insight and opinions!
I had Altell when I lived in Columbia for cell service and I liked them a lot. My husband was not familiar with them and they didn't have it in Alabama where his daughter lives so we went with Verizon for the friends and family package. Plus her boyfriend has Verizon and you know how 19 year olds like to talk on the phone!!!! It saved us a ton of money.

My rebate from Direct TV came on the first bill and continued without problems. I really like that company.

Good luck on the internet. I don't know much about dialup companies, but I wouldn't want Charter since their internet runs over the same lines as their lousy cable service.

Welcome to the Greenville area!

Susan

Old 11-13-2007, 05:21 PM

169 posts, read 570,582 times
if you have charter internet do you get the basic TV stations for free? That's the way it works with our cable co. They can't block the basic cable so if you pay for internet only and then hook the cable to the TV you get all the basic stations....anyone know if it's the same with charter?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZEAZ View Post
if you have charter internet do you get the basic TV stations for free? That's the way it works with our cable co. They can't block the basic cable so if you pay for internet only and then hook the cable to the TV you get all the basic stations....anyone know if it's the same with charter?
I'd guess that Charter gives nothing away for FREE. Thats a clever idea, but I have no idea if they do that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area