Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times

Advertisements

I'm bumping this topic because I just found out today that AT&T DSL is available in my neighborhood now. If you've been told it wasn't available in the past call and ask now. I hate Charter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 AM

153 posts, read 937,230 times
Stay far away from Charter, run and run fast! I was finally able to switch to Dish Network for TV and I couldn't be happier. I tried for DirectV but I have too many trees and they couldn't get a line of sight, but at this point ANYTHING is better than Charter.

Their picture was horrible, the installation was a nightmare and un-trained monkeys could do a better job in the customer service office.

I still have them for internet and phone and they are way overcharging for it. I'll be switching to Vonage or AT&T as soon as possible.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
Stay far away from Charter, run and run fast! I was finally able to switch to Dish Network for TV and I couldn't be happier. I tried for DirectV but I have too many trees and they couldn't get a line of sight, but at this point ANYTHING is better than Charter.

Their picture was horrible, the installation was a nightmare and un-trained monkeys could do a better job in the customer service office.

I still have them for internet and phone and they are way overcharging for it. I'll be switching to Vonage or AT&T as soon as possible.
Do you get local forecasts on the weather channel with Dish Network?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:31 AM

183 posts, read 752,876 times
Lots of folks have mentioned that certain areas do not get DSL through Bell South and they are stuck with Charter cable for high speed internet. I'm looking at the Greer area near the lakes and was wondering if I might luck up and be able to get Bell South DSL?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtncat View Post
Lots of folks have mentioned that certain areas do not get DSL through Bell South and they are stuck with Charter cable for high speed internet. I'm looking at the Greer area near the lakes and was wondering if I might luck up and be able to get Bell South DSL?
Post your subdivision name and maybe someone will know.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamtncat View Post
FastAccess DSL Internet Service

Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM

288 posts, read 948,881 times
If you can avoid dealing with Charter, do so. I had them years ago and liked them. We moved back to the area two years ago and found that they are now terrible. Charter is expensive for cable, the internet service has problems all the time and their customer service is some of the worst ever. If you are lucky(?) enough to get through the phone tree, you'll be speaking to someone not in this country, which I'm against from an American job conservation standpoint but also because they aren't well-trained, can't negotiate and aren't even particularly friendly. If you do have to use Charter, watch your bill carefully. They'll sneak charges in and once your promotion ends, your bill will skyrocket. They once charged me for a service call to replace a defective DVR, which I am paying monthly to rent (meaning it should probably work). Even the customer service girl was mystified by the charge and took it off the bill, after 20 minutes of waiting on the phone tree. It is just proof that no company should be allowed have a monopoly. Our potential home phone provider is Verizon, who don't yet offer internet service. We don't have a home phone and instead use Vonage. So I am unable to use one of the dish providers for TV service. And even if I did, I'd still be forced to use Charter for internet. It is VERY frustrating. I don't think I'm alone in my feelings. It just seems wrong to be paying $135 a month for cable and internet, with no movie channels and the medium speed internet. AND I'm on an internet promotion. Charter needs competition in the worst way.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It should be noted that if your home phone is not provisioned by AT&T you will be told DSL is not available. You must have AT&T phone before you can add DSL.

My DSL order was cancelled until AT&T provisions my phone.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM

82 posts, read 315,634 times
Hey guys, I read through this thread and wanted to get some opinions on SunCom for cell phone service. I searched for the "other cell phone" thread but there was no helpful info there, so I thought I would post here while this thread was active. Is SunCom a good provider? I saw mostly SunCom and Verizon stores while in Greenville, not that that necessarily means anything. I HATE VERIZON and my husband and I cannot wait to get out from underneath the tyrannical contract that is ruining our lives!! (Being a little dramatic, but.)

Anyway, Alltell seems to be another good choice. Who would you go with? What are the pros and cons of Alltell versus SunCom? Thanks!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Verizon has threatened to buy Alltel. I say threatened because the deal has not been approved. I am an Alltel customer for 4 years and I am renewing for another 2 years right now. We are happy with the service we receive. I am worried about Verizon taking over but I looked at Suncom's site and it was confusing to me. I can't say I know anything about Suncom's service though and that is why I choose to stay with Alltel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area