Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times

Advertisements

We've had them since we bought the house 6.5 years ago. For the first few years I has no idea what they were, but after a lot of research and taking them to Chef Mark at GTC Culinary Academy last summer I found out they were white truffles. Here's the problem, the tree that they grow under and around is planned to be chopped down this week because it's causing erosion and flooding on our side yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-1.jpg   Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-2.jpg   Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-3.jpg   Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-4.jpg   Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-5.jpg  

Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-6.jpg   Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-7.jpg   Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-8.jpg   Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-truffle-pic-9.jpg  

Last edited by Sophiasmommy; 07-29-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:58 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Default Is this a joke?

1) I REALLY don't think those are black truffles. Black truffles grow pretty far under the earth, and look nothing like those pics (from what I can tell from such fuzzy pics). Black truffles are...black. And they look like a turd.

2) You couldn't pay me a million dollars to eat some mushrooms some dude picked out of his back yard, much less pay money for them. Lol

If you want real verification, take one over to Trad Cotter at mushroom mountain.

Or, take a decent picture and send it to him.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
black truffles - Google Search

This is a photo of a black truffle.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
1) I REALLY don't think those are black truffles. Black truffles grow pretty far under the earth, and look nothing like those pics (from what I can tell from such fuzzy pics). Black truffles are...black. And they look like a turd.

2) You couldn't pay me a million dollars to eat some mushrooms some dude picked out of his back yard, much less pay money for them. Lol

If you want real verification, take one over to Trad Cotter at mushroom mountain.

Or, take a decent picture and send it to him.
I didn't think they were either, but I had it verified by a woman who is a mushroom expert at Clemson and several chefs at GTC Culinary Academy. They cut it open and it was a beautiful marbled black, but it reeked like earth. Apparently, there is a history of truffles growing here in the Blue Ridge side of the upstate. I really can't get any cloer to them, since they are all 1/2 submerged in the ground. I was wondering if someone would buy them. I hadn't heard of Tad Cotter, but I will look him up and send him these pics. Thank wife.

P.S You wouldn't be you without the passive aggressive subtle jab. Your poor wife.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

This is a photo of a black truffle.
You're right, I got them confused. They're white truffles, black on the inside.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM

white truffles - Google Search

Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM

This is identical to what we have:

white truffles - Bing Images
Attached Thumbnails
Wild truffles growing in my yard; how can I sell them?-white-truffle.jpg  

Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yup, I corrected it. Thanks. I've done a ton of research over the past few years and they do grow wild here in the Blue Ridge side of SC and NC.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM

From what I have read which is not much because I hate mushrooms, truffles grow in specific regions. However, there are other mushrooms that have been given the "truffle" name but they are a "species" of the truffle not the actual traditional, certified, expensive, hog found gourmet truffle.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:47 AM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times
Wrap them in chocolate and put some nut bits around them then put them next to the checkout line at 2 for $1.... Profit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area