Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 10:08 PM

245 posts, read 319,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
haha bringing yet another city into this? I lived in Raleigh for 4 years. I was downtown probably 3-4 nights a week. Really fun downtown. And Durham has a nice downtown too. raleigh and durham are completely different cities. durham:raleigh is NOT like woodruff:downtown greenville. they are completely different cities with their own downtowns.

Why does everything have to be a comparison city to city?
i know they are different but they get lumped in to same metro. living in greenville is like living in durham or north raleigh.

i don't know, i've laughed at how people from different cities always argue which is superior. I've even touted my hometown of Florence as the gem of the country to spoof this city superfanism thing on here. LOL

the reality nobody on here seems that interested in augusta so other cities took over. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 10:10 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
i know they are different but they get lumped in to same metro. living in greenville is like living in durham or north raleigh.
i know they do, and it's silly and always irks me. they are completely different cities with downtowns that are over 30 miles apart.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
i know they do, and it's silly and always irks me. they are completely different cities with downtowns that are over 30 miles apart.
well it is kind of the same thing with anderson and spartanburg, pretty sure most people in greenville never do much in those two cities so call it it one big metro is bit of stretch. they even through in Clemson with greenville now which is silly.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Just some corrections for you Samoyed, ClemsonTiger, MountainDew2013: Michelin does have manufacturing in the Greenville area. There are also some plants in Anderson county that are being expanded as we speak. Michelin HQ is not in the middle of the city. But all in all, yes, Greenville does have the white collar Michelin employees and the manufacturing workers. Just my 2 cents. Good thread though, I'll continue to pop some more popcorn and continue reading. Carry on!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:

i don't know, i've laughed at how people from different cities always argue which is superior. I've even touted my hometown of Florence as the gem of the country to spoof this city superfanism thing on here. LOL

the reality nobody on here seems that interested in augusta so other cities took over. LOL
The people in the Augusta forum don't even know I created the thread...

Old 08-05-2013, 01:20 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
well I think DC is an atypical big town, it obviously has some unique things about it and I understand some people like living up there. the town itself is pretty small and in some ways feels like Charleston to me, with more corporate and government stuff. potomac falls is awesome too, i went there almsot every weekend when i lived there. a relaxing place to hang out and tons of people out there all the time.

i think much of the stuff about dc gets old after you do it a few times, the national mall is basically a field, so the falls park is a little more fun to hang out at, with all the restaurants nearby. the only thing i went to mulitiple times in dc was the zoo.

I prefer the scenary up that way a bit more than SC. it's too expensive up there and just not livable in my mind with all the conjestion and i dont' like riding the metro.
I don't think any large city is typical aside from maybe San Jose and Phoenix which in my opinion are overgrown suburbs; DC is a Alpha- City which in other words states that it isn't 'typical', hell its the Capital of the worlds only confirmed Super Power. I don't feel a Charleston vibe at all unless you're talking about mass amounts of tourists and a lack of skyscrapers?

And you're absolutely correct, things can get old after a while and that's when I hop on the Accela on head into NYC or even back to NC for a few days trip. DC does offer a lot for people like myself that enjoy Wikipedia and actually seeing what you read up close in person ie the Hope Diamond or one of the largest existing portions of the Berlin Wall including a guard tower. Things like that make me enjoy the city; I enjoy walking down the street and a motorcade drives thru holding the President or someone of authority, it just gives me this unexplainable feeling.

In regards to traffic like I said previously, I rarely use my car at all; I can actually hop on the bus or the metro and get around the metropolitan area for fairly cheap. Consider this, I can get from my apartment in Silver Spring, MD to Rossyln, VA in about 20 minutes for less than $3.00 on the metro. Back in NC we had our own bus system as well, but it was something embarrassing to ride and as someone who enjoys the simple things like that, it hurt. But the metro isn't for everyone, I didn't like it at first because I thought it was too complicated but after the second time riding it, it was fairly easy.

I mean, what do you enjoy doing? Golfing? Going to night clubs? Enjoying quality time with your family? Being cultural? Protesting in events? Or what? It seems like you're the type I've seen in Falls Park with a Hammock up just enjoying nature and I totally respect that, hell I'd love to do it myself; just crack up on a book and relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I agree with your last statement, personal preferences can dictate where we all want to live. If I had my choice, I would prefer to be closer to my family in the upstate of SC. But, for my field, there is absolutely no opportunity in that area. And, the talent is not there to even think of making something work. Besides, I like living in a mid sized city like Charlotte. I could move to NYC, SF, or even London and make more but, I would be even further from family and that is important. Sometimes it comes down to preference.

That being said, it is foolish to think that living in Greenville is no different than being in Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, or other larger cities. Other than for the sake of arguing under the 10th different name, I am not sure of that logic.
Honestly, I feel as if we're sort of in the same boat in regards to anything in the first paragraph. While with my career I can go a few places with it, DC is perhaps the best location in the nation for it; I work at a Consulate now just doing basic administrative work but its getting my foot in the door for other opportunities in the future. I've made plenty of contacts in DC that can help me and they are willing to pull the strings necessary for me to succeed so I can't just leave that behind. I'm also from a Greenville, Greenville, NC (I became interested in Greenville, SC when I saw it on the web a while back) and while a great portion of my family is there I'm just getting started with life so I'd probably move to a place like London if the opportunity came up. But then again, London prices are far higher than DC's right now so I'm not sure.

But I'm glad you understand my logic on personal preference; I have a wealthy grand father that lives in far out in the country in NC and I use to ask him all the time why he didn't move closer to town and he'd simply say something along the lines of he prefers the quitness at night over anything in the city. Can't debate with that too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Just some corrections for you Samoyed, ClemsonTiger, MountainDew2013: Michelin does have manufacturing in the Greenville area. There are also some plants in Anderson county that are being expanded as we speak. Michelin HQ is not in the middle of the city. But all in all, yes, Greenville does have the white collar Michelin employees and the manufacturing workers. Just my 2 cents. Good thread though, I'll continue to pop some more popcorn and continue reading. Carry on!
So this guy MountainDew is a troll? Lol I was wondering why a few people kept calling him ClemsonTiger; I wonder if he truly attended Clemson considering that was my dream school at one point.

Last edited by BMORE; 08-05-2013 at 01:39 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
i'm aware of that, anything engineering related you do not need to tell me about. i was talking specifically about greenville. but even the plants hire white collar workers and these manufacturing jobs aren't what i would call blue collar anyway.

looks like you are on a witchhunt.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 AM

we are really drifting from talking about the fact augusta has a superior mall than greenville but London is considered the dirtiest, unfriendliess, most expensive city in Europe according to some poll. plus it is my understanding it is always overcast and dreary there and pretty cold. plus they suppposedly don't have good resstaurants there. i wouldnt' be leaving sunny south to live there. LOL probably nice enough to visit though, stroll down Penny Lane and frolick in Strawberry Fields

Old 08-05-2013, 06:35 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
but even the plants hire white collar workers and these manufacturing jobs aren't what i would call blue collar anyway.
What would you consider to be blue collar jobs, SwampFox?

Old 08-05-2013, 06:42 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,542 times
Mechanical engineers are blue collar these days, techs can do 95% of their jobs and drafters the other 5%. Real engineers work with stuff that has changed in the last century - materials, electronics, computing, code, etc.

But malls! Upscale malls have sales folk in white collars technically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area