Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM

113 posts, read 245,617 times

Advertisements

ESEA / Federal Accountability System - South Carolina Department of Education

I thought it was solid? Old Greenville money school. No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM

245 posts, read 321,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post

it is fine if your student wants to learn. looks like a pretty cool school building. school grades are basically just telling you how many students at the school are motivated to go to college vs ones who just there to do bare min. to get that diploma. greenville hs will have more less motivated kids but that won't impact your kid if he or she is motivated.

the old money people in greenville are old and don't have kids in school.

old money school is probably j mann or whatever which pulls from the parkins mills area

the big thing with greenville hs is to see if it is safe cuz i could see there being some violent incidents there

Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,820,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvegasProud View Post

"Old Greenville money" left the Greenville school system when they were forced to desegregate.

That money went into private schools, namely Christ Church.

It's difficult to find a child of wealthy parents in Greenville in the public school system.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 AM

130 posts, read 225,874 times
Neither of the above correctly describe Greenville High. It's the richest of the rich and poorest of the poor. It's bad only if you aren't motivated, if the kid is motivated he/she will have the opportunity to go to college wherever they wish. Greenville High is old money, and so is Christ Church and J.L Mann. To say its difficult to find a wealthy parent in the public school system is far from the truth.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM

271 posts, read 800,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post
To say its difficult to find a wealthy parent in the public school system is far from the truth.
I agree with this. My son goes to J.L. Mann, and I'm always a bit surprised to see the caliber of cars in the car pickup line every day after school, as well as in the parking lot when there are events that parents attend. Along with the normal suburbia mini-vans (of which I drive as well), there's often the Lexus, Cadillacs, and any other brand of luxury car you can name, and that's not an uncommon thing. The older, maybe beat up type cars are more uncommon in the parking lot/car line. Those tend to stand out when surrounded by luxury cars .

From the parents I've interacted with, at different functions and parent meetings...most are pretty upscale....almost to the point of some being "hoity-toity" aka snobbish. Even the functions put on by different parent groups, the fundraising functions....always seem a bit upscale IMHO....$50pp Oyster Roast....I dunno..for me $100 for me and DH to eat Oysters....eehhh, that's just not how "I'd" spend $100....but those with $$$$money, probably think nothing of that.

OF COURSE, there's the other end of the spectrum, the less financially sound families. I know that, and I've seen a few of those types of cars too.

So I think that having $$$$, sure, some will take that to the private schools. But not all. There's plenty of $$$$$ families in the public schools. It might not be "old Greenville money". Let's think...if the housing in the area zoned for these schools is considered the "old money/ aka historic rich neighborhoods"...you have two types of families living there....the OLD people who have lived there forever...and their children are long past school years....or YOUNGER families with $$$$, and it's a good bet if they choose to live in the "historic pricey neighborhood" they probably took into consideration the school system....that's one of the "selling points" of the neighborhood. They aren't ALL going to make a run for private schools.

Sorry for the tangent from OP's question...no advice on Greenville High from me .

Old 08-08-2013, 05:14 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,820,287 times
To clarify, it's very difficult in the area zoned for Greenville High, to find wealthy parents who send their kids there. While looking for a house in that area, I was able to talk to a lot of parents. Not one family had kids at Greenville High. The vast majority of kids at the high school level went to Christ Church, with a few (actually one family) driving their kids to another public high school (can't remember which one). They told me you can petition or apply to do that in Greenville County?

You don't have to go to the school you are zoned for?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,659,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
To clarify, it's very difficult in the area zoned for Greenville High, to find wealthy parents who send their kids there. While looking for a house in that area, I was able to talk to a lot of parents. Not one family had kids at Greenville High. The vast majority of kids at the high school level went to Christ Church, with a few (actually one family) driving their kids to another public high school (can't remember which one). They told me you can petition or apply to do that in Greenville County?

Not sure. If it's like Richland/Lexington counties in Columbia, if you own your home you can request to go to a different school.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 PM

843 posts, read 1,437,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post

Nope you are free to apply to any school in the county. Every Feb. 1st? I think is the opening of when applications can be submitted to the school you wish to attend outside of your zoning. Some are much harder to get into because they don't have the open seats like others. For example, you can be zone for Mauldin HS and submit a request to go to Wade Hampton. (I don't know how they select. It could be a random lottery or first come first served. I just don't know.) If they select you, you must provide your own transportation to school.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM

376 posts, read 730,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
Nope you are free to apply to any school in the county. Every Feb. 1st? I think is the opening of when applications can be submitted to the school you wish to attend outside of your zoning. Some are much harder to get into because they don't have the open seats like others. For example, you can be zone for Mauldin HS and submit a request to go to Wade Hampton. (I don't know how they select. It could be a random lottery or first come first served. I just don't know.) If they select you, you must provide your own transportation to school.
I wish that I knew about this when I was in high school, assuming schools in other cities would allow it. My high school was full of rich kids of doctors and lawyers and then a lot of kids of real poor parents, and I was comfortalbe around kids who had middle class parents, just had more in common with them.

I wish high school was more like college and you applied to get in to the ones you would like to go to, and you had more flexiblity to set your own schedule of classes.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:17 PM

113 posts, read 245,617 times
That's great that SC has school choice. But anyone have specific info / firsthand knowledge of / or send their kid to GHS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area