Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So I guess the other $500 million or so dollars in tax revenue is not being used for road and bridge improvements?
$500 million doesn't buy much in the way of roads these days.

but the reasonable thing to do IMO would be to give some of this responsibility for street maintenance to county and local governments.

Last edited by le roi; 10-25-2013 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't know where you get the number $500 million from
You could Google as well as I, but that's tax revenue for 2012 (actually a little under I bumped it up since it's been a year and a half almost since they last reported the number). Plus $800 million plus from federal reimbursement revenues. So, in total it was around $1.3B in 2012.

Revenues and Expenditures

Old 10-25-2013, 11:09 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
You could Google as well as I, but that's tax revenue for 2012 (actually a little under I bumped it up since it's been a year and a half almost since they last reported the number). Plus $800 million plus from federal reimbursement revenues. So, in total it was around $1.3B in 2012.

Revenues and Expenditures
that's the gas tax revenue , yes. i ended up looking it up.

point remains, what makes you think $500m is enough?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
You sound like a parrott, "raise taxes, I told you so..SQUAKKKK", but can you promise that the taxes that are raised will be used for actual road and bridge improvements?

New York has the highest gas tax at 50.6 cents a gallon. 60% of their roads need repair in NY compared to only 40% in SC. The average cost for repairs to a driver in NY is $403 compared to $255.

North Carolina has 45% of roads that need repair, while GA is doing great at 19%. Both states taxes are higher, but it appears that GA is doing much better with their funds.

ASCE | 2013 Report Card for America's Infrastructure

State Gasoline Tax Rates, 2009-2013 | Tax Foundation

Most people want better and safer roads and would be happy to pay for it if they actually get what they pay for.
The taxes will be used for roads and bridges if we hold elected officials accountable and require our funds to be used as we wish.

It costs WAY MORE to maintain roads and bridges in states that have long, hard thaw and freeze cycles. That's physics, not civics.

If GA can do it, so can we. It's embarrassing crossing state lines into SC and seeing the roads and roadside go completely to $hit all of a sudden.

Do you look at that link on infrastructure and think we can somehow maintain and fix our infrastructure without raising revenue? America is going to pot on some disproven, failed notion that if we lowered taxes on the wealthiest Americans, some magical force would raise revenue. And that the wealthy would let there newly acquired wealth trickle down to everyone. That notion has failed miserably. Time to return to the reality that Reagan's conservatism has failed us all. Well, all but the top .5% or so.

Time to pay the piper before things literally fall apart.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
coming from WI where the gas tax is quite a bit higher then SC, i can say the roads there are not always in better shape. Sure some of it is due to climate, temps going from 90's in summer to well below zero in winter. But that doesnt explain it all especially in stretches that see work every year.
Not to mention, where does all the vehicle property taxes we pay in SC go to? One would think to the trans dept (only been here 5 years so I dont know the history on that part) which when balanced with the gas tax should provide plenty of $$ for improvements. And if i'm wrong there and i may be, then why not drop it and raise the home tax where it's in line with other states and leave cars be.

just thinking out loud....

Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
coming from WI where the gas tax is quite a bit higher then SC, i can say the roads there are not always in better shape. Sure some of it is due to climate, temps going from 90's in summer to well below zero in winter. But that doesnt explain it all especially in stretches that see work every year.
Not to mention, where does all the vehicle property taxes we pay in SC go to? One would think to the trans dept (only been here 5 years so I dont know the history on that part) which when balanced with the gas tax should provide plenty of $$ for improvements. And if i'm wrong there and i may be, then why not drop it and raise the home tax where it's in line with other states and leave cars be.

just thinking out loud....

Good Point. I lived in Tennessee at one point. No Property Tax on your vehicle, No State Income Tax.
Yes the sales tax was higher (over 10%) but its up to 8 and 9% in some SC counties. Makes one wonder what they do with all the different taxes they collect here.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
I could support a 5 cent increase in the SC gas tax if we could be assured that the money would actually go to repairing critical bridges and repaving roads that are in desperate need.

It does not surprise me that this bridge is in need of repair. It was built back when this was a low traffic country road in the middle of nowhere. It's now a busy arterial road serving numerous housing developments. Heavy trucks, school buses, and lots of traffic uses that road far beyond its original capacity.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
5 cents would mean 55 cents for every fill up for me. Not much to worry about IMO in the big scheme of things unless you drive a lot. I agree about policing the way our government uses that money but how can the population do that? The longer they wait, the more money you and I will have to give them!

Old 10-26-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
I could support a 5 cent increase in the SC gas tax if we could be assured that the money would actually go to repairing critical bridges and repaving roads that are in desperate need.

It does not surprise me that this bridge is in need of repair. It was built back when this was a low traffic country road in the middle of nowhere. It's now a busy arterial road serving numerous housing developments. Heavy trucks, school buses, and lots of traffic uses that road far beyond its original capacity.
There have been several threads on this subject and most, including myself, understand that to have better roads and infrastructure, that occasionally the users have to pay more. What I am asking is can we do better with the money that we are already giving DOT? I would look there first and if the money is be used appropriately then a discussion of raising taxes should be had.

Just raising taxes for the heck of it, or signing bills before they are read, should not be happening and are partly responsible for the situation we have in this country already.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:45 AM

Greenville County Council Members will vote on the resolution to create a "Citizens Road Coalition" Pursuant to Capital Project Sales Tax Act in a special session. The proposal is for a 1 percent sales tax increase to pay for repairs to Greenville County roads and bridges.

If council passes the act, a referendum will be added to the ballot at the next general election, allowing voters to decide on a sales tax increase.
Sounds like a good plan to put it in front of the voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area