Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:13 PM

304 posts, read 266,525 times

Advertisements

No offense man but I don't think anybody is counting on you for salary information. You work in a low paying occupation. Nobody ever said low paying jobs don't require dedication. That isn't why they are low paying. They are low paying because they are low skill.

I don't care what you get paid. I think it is funny you spend all this time on the Greenville forum talking about average salaries in Greenville, crime in greenville and you live in Florida. It is weird.

If you want to make more money I think changing occupations would be more im portant than your location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
I'm not sure what you think I do for a living or what I make, but I'm not a firefighter, and I'm not in a low paying occupation; I work in real estate development. As far as "not buying my salary info" I'd like to know what I said and I'd be glad to clarify.

Firefighting is NOT low skill dude. At all. And because it's low paying in Greenville and SC, doesnt mean it's low paying elsewhere.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm not sure what you think I do for a living or what I make, but I'm not a firefighter, and I'm not in a low paying occupation; I work in real estate development. As far as "not buying my salary info" I'd like to know what I said and I'd be glad to clarify.

Firefighting is NOT low skill dude. At all. And because it's low paying in Greenville and SC, doesnt mean it's low paying elsewhere.
ok when colleges offer firefighting majors I will agree with you.

as I've said before, location and salary aren't related. People like to relate things that are really just coincidences.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
I'm not going to get involved in salary discussions, as I am pretty ignorant on the subject, but I do think that many people graduating from technical schools and community colleges have a lot more skills than the average college graduate.
Guess this is kind of O/T, in any case. I think this thread has been hijacked.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:47 PM

A 2 year degree might be better than your average liberal arts major, maybe. I agree with that.

But when some guy comes on here and he is talking about how low salary is in Greenville and then his occupation turns out to be a low paying occupation in general I think that is pretty funny. Yeah, you aren't going to make 100k as a firefighter or policeman in Greenville. Somehow I don't think thta is about Greenville.

Truth of the matter is most college grads don't have many skills though but if they get through a challenging college program is a good indicator they can learn and perform at a job.

It is not legit to say that "An out of Greenville is lower salary". That is what this Florida guy was trying to do though. Salary is individual, not collective. You can't just add up everybody's salary in Greenville and divide by number of people and say this is a useful stat.

Then he was talking about high crime in Greenville and Anderson but is Florida really low crime area? I'll t hink you'll be just fine living in Five Forks or off highway 81 in Anderson from a crime standpoint.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham3 View Post
A 2 year degree might be better than your average liberal arts major, maybe. I agree with that.

But when some guy comes on here and he is talking about how low salary is in Greenville and then his occupation turns out to be a low paying occupation in general I think that is pretty funny. Yeah, you aren't going to make 100k as a firefighter or policeman in Greenville. Somehow I don't think thta is about Greenville.

Truth of the matter is most college grads don't have many skills though but if they get through a challenging college program is a good indicator they can learn and perform at a job.

It is not legit to say that "An out of Greenville is lower salary". That is what this Florida guy was trying to do though. Salary is individual, not collective. You can't just add up everybody's salary in Greenville and divide by number of people and say this is a useful stat.

Then he was talking about high crime in Greenville and Anderson but is Florida really low crime area? I'll t hink you'll be just fine living in Five Forks or off highway 81 in Anderson from a crime standpoint.
I work in a low occupation? Real estate development. I'm not starving, I promise .

I never said anything about adding up everyone's salary and dividing the number by the people in Greenville. That's pretty silly. I think you're geting me confused with another poster or something.

SC (as a state) has higher crime than FL, that is correct. I'd be glad to debate that as well. But we can start a new topic if you'd like to do that. I took many stats classes throughout college.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:03 PM

ok dude. Miami is safer than the east side of Greenville.

You were making the city-salary stat comparison point, right? Do cities pay income to people?

What I want to know is why salaries would be higher in Florida than SC? Cuz you would think Florida would be easier to lure people to due to the hype and beaches and warm weather and no state income tax so why would companies there need to pay more?

Here is an example of what I am trying to say here. Petroluem engineers make a ton of money. They also have to work in very obscure remote and poor areas. If we go with the notion that you can only get paid in cities with salary stats that look good, that kind of ignores the realities of many occupations. Many engineers work in small towns like Lake City SC or Hartsville SC and they are getting paid above average in a real low cost of living area. That is why I say linking salary to location is kind of silly. A lot of the good manufacturing companeis are not in the major cities in a state , they are located out in the sticks. Sonoco is one of the better companies in SC and it is in frickin Hartsville. Hartsville stats aren't going to blow people out of the water.

Last edited by Pelham3; 12-04-2013 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 06:10 PM

I have a question about the city salary stats. Where do they get these salary numbers from? I would assume majority of people in a city don't report their salaries voluntarily to some 3rd party. Is this coming from IRS information?

I personally think it is wrong for the government to publish salary stats like this if we don't give them permission to use our personal info like this. Reporting our income is about paying taxes only not this other stuff.

Last edited by Pelham3; 12-04-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham3 View Post
ok dude. Miami is safer than the east side of Greenville.

You were making the city-salary stat comparison point, right? Do cities pay income to people?

What I want to know is why salaries would be higher in Florida than SC? Cuz you would think Florida would be easier to lure people to due to the hype and beaches and warm weather and no state income tax so why would companies there need to pay more?

Here is an example of what I am trying to say here. Petroluem engineers make a ton of money. They also have to work in very obscure remote and poor areas. If we go with the notion that you can only get paid in cities with salary stats that look good, that kind of ignores the realities of many occupations. Many engineers work in small towns like Lake City SC or Hartsville SC and they are getting paid above average in a real low cost of living area. That is why I say linking salary to location is kind of silly. A lot of the good manufacturing companeis are not in the major cities in a state , they are located out in the sticks. Sonoco is one of the better companies in SC and it is in frickin Hartsville. Hartsville stats aren't going to blow people out of the water.

I never said Miami is safer than Greenville. I'm sure on a per capita basis, which is how you have to quanitify the numbers to make it a legit comparison, it's not. I honestly can't tell you exactly why some states pay less than others, it's obviously a combination of things, but in general, southern states do not pay as well as other states in the US. I think FL being the 4th most populated is a good reason. Also a high cost of living during the boom years. Firefighters in S FL were getting crazy wage bumps to keep up with cost of living during 04-07. Those salaries remain the same, even now that the cost of living has dropped (although starting to creep back up again). Unions can be a wonderful thing.

I understand what you're saying about pay and locale. Of course there are gonna be some outliers out there. The poverty rate of SC is rather high (probably skews the numbers a little bit). /Sidenote: crime stats (when comparing to other states) ranked SC 5th worst in crime, TN was number 1 (worst). FL was 8th./

Back to OT... and although this back n forth is awesome, my beef is not with what some engineer makes in Hartsville (never heard of it). My point is that teachers, cops and firefighters are paid low compared to where I live... Oh, and RN's in Greenville don't make 6 figs either. I think that's what started this mess.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean for this to get so out of hand... I just said what I said, and I defend what I said, nothing I've said is incorrect and I can back it up. So it's kind of gone back n forth, but I apologize.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:33 PM

When you say crime is high, you are really just talking about the black areas of SC. There isn't high crime in the white areas of SC. SC does have a huge black population and your precious stats will tell blacks commit more crime,. When you say Greenville has high crime what you mean is the White Horse road west side of Greenville has high crime. It is very self contained over there. I don't even know my way around on the west side of Greenville b/c I have no reason to go over there but your stats don't flesh that out.

I think SC in generall is more safe than the large metro areas of Florida. No doubt about that. Florida is more urban thus it is more crime.

How has this "gotten how of hand"? Is there is a script we are supposed to keep to on here? I'm takling about the topic in a very intelligent way. I don't think it is legit to say "a con of greenville is lower salary and high crime". Even if your precious stats tell you that. I've seen others make the same point in their own unique way. Now if I'm supposed to agree with you on everything this is much of an opinion board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area