Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM

304 posts, read 266,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence. There are a lot of big GC/Engineering firms down here. Based in FL. Those jobs pay well down here, which is the field I'm in. It's not an "automatic" thing; it is what it is.

If I left my job in FL for the same job with a Greenville-based company, I'm taking a pay cut, GUARANTEED. If my wife (an RN) moved up there, she's going to take a few dollar an hour pay cut.

It's cool dude. No need to be uptight or defensive.
i think you are projecting emotions on me which I noticed you liked to do. I don't have to agree with you on anything. Given my jolly personality I don't think "uptight" is how you can describe me. I am very good at debate and I understand you want to make it seem like I'm not.

I have no way of confirming anything that you say on here regarding salary. YOU might not get paid more, is is how I see it. All your points on here essentially beg the audience to agree that you are a source authority and your experience is the common experience. Is it? I am skeptical.

If Greenville sucks so much, why do ou spend all your time on this website in the Greenville forum? You could posting on Lifted Country Trucck Florida (whatever that means) forum. Utopia, where even the janitors get paid 6 figures because anecdotal evidence guy on the internet said so.

Last edited by Pelham3; 12-04-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:12 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham3 View Post
i think you are projecting emotions on me which I noticed you liked to do. I don't have to agree with you on anything. Given my jolly personality I don't think "uptight" is how you can describe me. I am very good at debate and I understand you want to make it seem like I'm not.

I have no way of confirming anything that you say on here regarding salary. YOU might not get paid more, is is how I see it. All your points on here essentially beg the audience to agree that you are a source authority and your experience is the common experience. Is it? I am skeptical.

Ok. You don't have to agree with me, but your "I dont have to agree with you on anything" isn't a good argument, yet you claim to be very good at debating. I've given numerous personal experiences and salaries you can even look up (simply by going to the 2 counties websites I mentioned earlier which shows government salaries).

Here you go... Oviedo household income is $77,634 and Greenville's is $40,982. This is where I live compared to Greenville. //www.city-data.com/city/Oviedo-Florida.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Greenv...-Carolina.html

Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Ok. You don't have to agree with me, but your "I dont have to agree with you on anything" isn't a good argument, yet you claim to be very good at debating. I've given numerous personal experiences and salaries you can even look up (simply by going to the 2 counties websites I mentioned earlier which shows government salaries).

Here you go... Oviedo household income is $77,634 and Greenville's is $40,982. This is where I live compared to Greenville. //www.city-data.com/city/Oviedo-Florida.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Greenv...-Carolina.html
Oviedo is a suburb of Orlando. Orlando and Greenville's stats are very close.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:50 AM

241 posts, read 386,994 times
Quote:
I have a question about the city salary stats. Where do they get these salary numbers from? I would assume majority of people in a city don't report their salaries voluntarily to some 3rd party. Is this coming from IRS information?

I personally think it is wrong for the government to publish salary stats like this if we don't give them permission to use our personal info like this. Reporting our income is about paying taxes only not this other stuff.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has been collecting wage and salary data in the US since it was established in 1884. They are a great source of information on how wages vary across occupations within the same geographical area as well as how salaries differ for the same job in different places. A summary of their methodology can be found here: Data Collection

Old 12-05-2013, 06:51 AM

Since Oviedo is a suburb of Orlando I don't think it's practical to compare like that since Greenville is the principal city of its metro area. For instance, I wouldn't compare Simpsonville stats to Orlando because Simpsonville is a suburb of Greenville.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
There are certainly a lot of low wage jobs in Orlando. It's very, very service oriented. I think that can skew the numbers quite a bit. Orlando is also much larger, so by your response, it's also not a valid argument to compare Orlando vs Greenville. I went with Oviedo because it's where I live, and mentioned the salaries of teachers, firefighters, etc. Also it's (somehow) not that much smaller in population. I may be wrong, but I believe Greenville has around 63k people, and Oviedo has like 38k.

Again, I'm not an expert on how these numbers (salaries) are compiled. I can go by personal experience, which is why I've included people I know in both areas. I stand by my firefighter salary difference, the real estate development difference, and RN pay.

Sure, there may be a great car salesman in Greenville that makes $100k a year, and one in Orlando might make $50k, I get that.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM

241 posts, read 386,994 times
Default median vs mean

Quote:
There are certainly a lot of low wage jobs in Orlando. It's very, very service oriented. I think that can skew the numbers quite a bit. Orlando is also much larger, so by your response, it's also not a valid argument to compare Orlando vs Greenville. I went with Oviedo because it's where I live, and mentioned the salaries of teachers, firefighters, etc. Also it's (somehow) not that much smaller in population. I may be wrong, but I believe Greenville has around 63k people, and Oviedo has like 38k.

Again, I'm not an expert on how these numbers (salaries) are compiled. I can go by personal experience, which is why I've included people I know in both areas. I stand by my firefighter salary difference, the real estate development difference, and RN pay.

Sure, there may be a great car salesman in Greenville that makes $100k a year, and one in Orlando might make $50k, I get that.
If you are worried that the figures are skewed by outliers (in either direction), look for data on _median_ income or hourly wages--rather than the _mean_.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Ahhh. I knew population difference was coming. It's something we struggle with when new people look at Greenville. It's actually a great deal larger than 60k+. Greenville can't annex freely because of state laws. It's true continuous urban area is over 400k, which is a better indicator of size. It's metro area is 842k. Greenville county has 467k people, in which Greenville city is the county seat. So in reality it's a good deal larger than the suburb of Oviedo. That's why it offers some of the amenities it does.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:55 PM

304 posts, read 266,557 times
I don't think that people in Oviedo Florida are making that much more than people in Greenville SC. That stat isn't right. I think it was like 25K more a year on average? C'mon man.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think that people in Oviedo Florida are making that much more than people in Greenville SC. That stat isn't right. I think it was like 25K more a year on average? C'mon man.
It's a suburb with little poverty. It's not hard to believe. We have some here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area