Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 AM

150 posts, read 217,567 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in New England in a small town and are looking to move to the Carolinas in the next year or so. Earlier this year, we visited Asheville for a few days and liked it a lot, however, for us it may be a better place to visit than to live, so we're going to visit GVL in January. Extensive reading about GVL gives me the impression that it is a small, very affordable and livable city that's improved a great deal (particularly the downtown) over the past several years.

About us: We both have advanced degrees and are pretty intelligent (my wife more than me) and are well informed with moderate political views and no interest in religion. Neither of us take strong positions on any social issues. We have no agenda in that regard. We're very active and especially like biking (mt biking more so), hiking and tennis, in which I'm an instructor and have a fairly high rating as a player. Wherever we live, we hope to meet people via both cycling and tennis clubs. We'd like to live near the downtown rather than in a subdivision or far outside of town (we're done with the rural life), or in one of the larger nearby communities. We'd likely rent for a year or so until we find an area in which to buy. We like being close to the mountains, which is why we're looking at AVL and GVL.

My wife works from home and needs only to be close to an airport. I'll be semi-retired, though will look for some p/t work, hopefully in tennis.

I've searched this forum re: AVL v GVL already, and am interested in new reading comments about GVL. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:58 AM

152 posts, read 247,306 times
I will direct message you. Have New England realtor friend whom has given lots of advice.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:56 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
I can't add too much that you haven't already read but I love Asheville; however I would not live there due to the climate. One of things I like most about Greenville (we are moving there next month) is the proximity to the mountains with the same type of weather we are used to in Raleigh. My husband is originally from New England, and will be retired as well, and looking for something part-time if possible.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,029 times
Asheville is a fun place to visit for a weekend, but I can't imagine living there. To me, it feels much smaller than Greenville and neither has the options nor opportunities that Greenville has. With that said, Asheville is a fine area in its own right and could be a perfect fit for your needs and interests.

To me, Greenville's downtown is better, and overall metro area just feels and looks more prosperous to me. While you have mountain views in Greenville, you are actually in the mountains in Asheville. Asheville also has the charm of Biltmore, and that certainly brings with it the tourists. Greenville has its share of tourists too, but no attractions on the scale of Biltmore.

The two areas are very different politically, but I don't think you are going to have a problem in either place. Asheville is known for being very liberal, and you definitely get the crunchy/granola vibe there. In Greenville, it is very conservative politically but it isn't in your face. Both areas are generally welcoming and tolerant in my experience.

I can't speak to the cycling and tennis options in Asheville, but cycling is huge in Greenville. There are already many bike lanes on area roads, and more are being added. There is a nice network of parks and trails, which are also being expanded aggressively. There are some nice country clubs with tennis, as well as a few tennis clubs I'm aware of in the upstate. I'm sure at least several of them would fit your criteria.

Where are you from in New England? I spent the last three years living in southwestern Connecticut, and loved the natural beauty and historic charm there.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 AM

14 posts, read 29,759 times
You would enjoy living in Asheville better than Greenville. Asheville is just as big as Greenville if not bigger. Asheville is large but it is spread out thoughout the mountains. It is beautiful in Asheville. You came to a Greenville forum. They are all about their town. They will lead you to believe that they are as big as Charlotte, Columbia, or Charleston. Move to Asheville !!!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times
Well you are asking on the Greenville forum and everyone is going to tot greenvilles horn here. Personally, I'm from Asheville and had to move to greenville due to work. I'd move back to Asheville ASAP if given the chance. I'm pretty much like you in what I want from a town only much younger and require steady jobs. Greenvile isnt small though, its rather large and all the main shopping areas get vety congested. What made you think Asheville was better for visits? That might give us a better idea of what you want.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM

150 posts, read 217,567 times
^^^^
Certainly, we could live in AVL, but the cost of housing may be burdensome. We liked it there a lot on our short visit, and will of course spend more time there as we make our decision. I liked, for lack of a better term, the vibe, and how it felt like a very active community. We're from southern VT, and the town seemed to me to be a lot like Burlington, VT (but without the lake).

Of course, I have not been to GVL in many years and I'm interested to see how it has developed. I recall entering a road race that wound through the park, but that was probably 20 years ago.

Saucy: Other than for work reasons, why would you move back to AVL so quickly?

Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,319,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spa 44 View Post
You would enjoy living in Asheville better than Greenville. Asheville is just as big as Greenville if not bigger. Asheville is large but it is spread out thoughout the mountains. It is beautiful in Asheville. You came to a Greenville forum. They are all about their town. They will lead you to believe that they are as big as Charlotte, Columbia, or Charleston. Move to Asheville !!!
Asheville isn't as big as Greenville. The Greenville urban area is larger than Asheville's whole metro area. Don't be fooled by city limits.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:45 AM

17 posts, read 45,262 times
Wasn't on your list, but I'd highly recommend you explore Charlotte.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:49 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,868,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC View Post
Wasn't on your list, but I'd highly recommend you explore Charlotte.
It sound alike the OP would like a small city, not a place like Charlotte with its traffic woes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area