Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:05 AM

150 posts, read 217,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
It sound alike the OP would like a small city, not a place like Charlotte with its traffic woes.
Yes, AVL and GVL are The right size. CLT is too big. And we could not live somewhere where traffic and sprawl are significant.

Thanks for the comments so far--please keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:35 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Well, Greenville does have sprawl, but if you live downtown or near downtown you can avoid it. When we first came down, we looked at Simpsonville and Greer but did not want to repeat the suburban experience we are currently living in. We are building in Verdae; it's close to everything including downtown. If you like older homes there are plenty even closer to downtown.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spa 44 View Post
You would enjoy living in Asheville better than Greenville. Asheville is just as big as Greenville if not bigger. Asheville is large but it is spread out thoughout the mountains. It is beautiful in Asheville. You came to a Greenville forum. They are all about their town. They will lead you to believe that they are as big as Charlotte, Columbia, or Charleston. Move to Asheville !!!
Asheville is not just as big as Greenville; that's simply false. Greenville is considerably larger, even excluding the rest of the Upstate. And yes, Greenville actually is as big as Columbia and Charleston.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
My wife and I live in New England in a small town and are looking to move to the Carolinas in the next year or so. Earlier this year, we visited Asheville for a few days and liked it a lot, however, for us it may be a better place to visit than to live, so we're going to visit GVL in January. Extensive reading about GVL gives me the impression that it is a small, very affordable and livable city that's improved a great deal (particularly the downtown) over the past several years.

About us: We both have advanced degrees and are pretty intelligent (my wife more than me) and are well informed with moderate political views and no interest in religion. Neither of us take strong positions on any social issues. We have no agenda in that regard. We're very active and especially like biking (mt biking more so), hiking and tennis, in which I'm an instructor and have a fairly high rating as a player. Wherever we live, we hope to meet people via both cycling and tennis clubs. We'd like to live near the downtown rather than in a subdivision or far outside of town (we're done with the rural life), or in one of the larger nearby communities. We'd likely rent for a year or so until we find an area in which to buy. We like being close to the mountains, which is why we're looking at AVL and GVL.

My wife works from home and needs only to be close to an airport. I'll be semi-retired, though will look for some p/t work, hopefully in tennis.

I've searched this forum re: AVL v GVL already, and am interested in new reading comments about GVL. Thanks.
Asheville all the way!

Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 PM

150 posts, read 217,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Well, Greenville does have sprawl, but if you live downtown or near downtown you can avoid it. When we first came down, we looked at Simpsonville and Greer but did not want to repeat the suburban experience we are currently living in. We are building in Verdae; it's close to everything including downtown. If you like older homes there are plenty even closer to downtown.
Beth--
Could you tell me about Greer?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 PM

I would be glad to tell you what I know, but as we are not living in Greenville yet others may be able to give you more information. I do know that it has a variety of neighborhoods, from very expensive golf course homes to more modest ones. Like every other town it has some not so desirable areas as well. However, it has a charming downtown with a city park that has an amphitheater. From what I hear, there are some nice restaurants as well.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM

There is a thread on this forum as well about new businesses opening in Greer. If you like to shop at places like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's you have to go to Greenville. However the way the area is growing I have no doubt that it won't be long before they expand into other areas, just like they did here in Raleigh.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:01 PM

304 posts, read 266,557 times
Asheville has a lot of gay people, the type who are real flamboyant about it. Instead of cute waitresses you will have middle age gay men serving you food and drinks. Aville is affectionately known as the San Fran or Gay Bathhouse in the Sky

Greenville is gay neutral. You don't even have to like the movie Brokeback mountain to live here.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 PM

278 posts, read 308,820 times
Ive lived in gvl and ash and neither really fits you in the sense of ash doesnt have the same cultural amenities (gvl is more upscale and traditional where ash is more trendy and smaller overall). Gvl is much more close knit and religious than ash which is very transient and open. Gvl is very very pretty, but none of my Yankee friends have ever felt welcome...even after ten years etc. You may struggle, esp. If you dont attend church. However the newly renovated downtown is pretty amazing and if you can get one of those luxury condos by the zoo you can walk outside and go for a run on the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

So Id still say Gvl.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
Ive lived in gvl and ash and neither really fits you in the sense of ash doesnt have the same cultural amenities (gvl is more upscale and traditional where ash is more trendy and smaller overall). Gvl is much more close knit and religious than ash which is very transient and open. Gvl is very very pretty, but none of my Yankee friends have ever felt welcome...even after ten years etc. You may struggle, esp. If you dont attend church. However the newly renovated downtown is pretty amazing and if you can get one of those luxury condos by the zoo you can walk outside and go for a run on the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

So Id still say Gvl.
It's interesting to hear people say you struggle if you don't attend church. I've been here since 2004, don't attend church, black, single, raising mixed kids. We've never experienced this. I even have 2 friends who are preachers. Never judge me or push their beliefs on me. Seems like a growing area to me becoming more diversified everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area