Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 PM

152 posts, read 470,442 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in central Illinois and I am looking to relocate to help with my seasonal affective disorder. I was wondering if South Carolina would be good place to go. I love having seasons but I need more sunny days than I get here. I have not seen much online about this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 01:54 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,447,643 times
I have lived in the Charlotte, NC area for 7 years after relocating from Buffalo. I currently live in Fort Mill, SC, which is right next to Charlotte. I also have SAD and here it is a big improvement. Usually even when it's cold it's sunny. There are some weather tradoffs though. Your SAD will improve but your allergies will get worse, even if you've never had any before.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM

548 posts, read 1,982,465 times
Much sunnier ;-) and if the short winter in the upstate is too much there is always a weekend getaway to Myrtle Beach or Charleston for 10 degrees warmer temps and the rays reflecting off the beach and ocean. The nice thing about the upstate is the seasons. I thought this year that the colors were bad but after returning from vacation just before Thanksgiving I was met with beautiful colors. Unfortunately they are now pretty much gone.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks. It is nice to know that my SAD will be better, as for allergies they are already so bad that I can't see them getting much worse. Not sure where I can go to get rid of everything.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:17 PM

698 posts, read 2,846,109 times
Granted we've only been there twice but the first was in early February and the second this past Thanksgiving week. We never saw the gray and bleak skies we have seen in New England or the Midwest during the cooler months. In fact, Greenville during those two visits had quite nice crystal blue skies, crisp and clear.

I'm not particularly allergic to anything but my husband suffers with chronic sinus trouble here in SoFL, so I'm anticipating he will suffer them in SC as well.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 PM

28 posts, read 205,403 times
Default Moved from Illinois

ILMomof4, I don't know if you're still checking this, but I would enthusiastically say that yes, moving down here should help! I just moved from IL recently and I don't suffer from SAD, but I'm certainly familiar with that "blah" feeling you can get for about five months out of the year, thanks to the weather. Being here is like experiencing fall that is four months long, and I love it! I'd say at least come visit, the leaves are starting to fall off the trees now but the weather is beautiful. There's no question my general mood has improved since living here.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 PM

28 posts, read 205,403 times
Default Oh, and ...

Personally, my allergies actually became less severe in Greenville than in IL. I'm sure it varies by the person, but for what it's worth ...

Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM

16 posts, read 37,324 times
Just have to say that this week is like a gorgeous spring with temps in the 70's and low humidity....But we will get a bit of winter eventually. I have been able to keep some potted and outside planted annuals and perinnials alive even though we have had a few nights around freezing. My husband works in Greenwood an hour and a half away and he has sinus trouble there, but not here.?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:11 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,704,719 times
Unless you have other reasons for moving I suggest you invest in SAD lighting. SAD lighting can be costly but much, much less than moving.
I lived in the Spartanburg area and most "clear" days there was a overcast with a red-brown tint. I was told it was pollution. Another thing to consider is the high heat and humidity in the summer. It starts in May and continues into October.
Don

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 AM

We wanted to get out of IL anyway, the SAD just makes it more important to move somewhere sunnier with milder winters. I have been to Virginia Beach, Raleigh and Florida and I really love the east coast. My husband likes the idea of living by the mountains. The weather here has been terrible this last week and I can not wait to get my house for sale and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area