Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 17,841 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

my family and I are going to be relocating to the greenville area within the next year. I would love some advice on good, family friendly communities. So far I have done research on such as Taylors and Greer. Any thoughts on these locations good and bad or any other locations to consider and why would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM

467 posts, read 542,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu00 View Post
Hi there!

my family and I are going to be relocating to the greenville area within the next year. I would love some advice on good, family friendly communities. So far I have done research on such as Taylors and Greer. Any thoughts on these locations good and bad or any other locations to consider and why would be appreciated!
Thank you!
As long as you stay away from west Greenville, pretty much anywhere in Greenville is "family friendly". Even friendly to people with no families. lol

Taylors and Greer are fine. Check out out Simpsonville, Easley, Five Forks, Powdersville, etc. as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM

Thanks Francis for your reply!
I will look into those places as well. I liked Lyman originally but was afraid it may be too small. I am coming from a small town that I've basically lived in my whole life, but want to look at a little bigger towns of maybe populations of 20,000. I'll be looking for good schools as my child will be in elementary grades.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:51 AM

477 posts, read 841,303 times
Quote:
I will look into those places as well. I liked Lyman originally but was afraid it may be too small. I am coming from a small town that I've basically lived in my whole life, but want to look at a little bigger towns of maybe populations of 20,000. I'll be looking for good schools as my child will be in elementary grades.
Check out the area to get an idea. You did not really provide enough information in order to tell you where you might want to be looking. Do you want to be near Greenville or in the suburbs? Close to the mountains or closer to some lakes? Are you buying, renting, house, condo, and so on.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Good thing you choose Greenville then! Many SC schools won't meet your needs, but Greenville has some of the best in the state.

Mauldin is about the size you are looking for and we have a Kmart here so you could avoid Wallyworld if you wanted to.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 AM

I prefer suburbs, preferably east of greenville more near lyman so we are closer to work. Mountains or lakes? OMG can't wait for either! lol. I am coming from midwest and I am so over snow and freezing cold weather. I plan on making a trip out to see if I get a vibe for a certain area.
thanks for your help

Old 01-03-2014, 08:54 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
I prefer suburbs, preferably east of greenville more near lyman so we are closer to work. Mountains or lakes? OMG can't wait for either! lol. I am coming from midwest and I am so over snow and freezing cold weather. I plan on making a trip out to see if I get a vibe for a certain area.
thanks for your help
Seems like Greer could be good for you, maybe even the part of Taylors closest to Greer. Lyman itself isn't really isolated. I think it's more of a suburban feel, more so than just a town that thrives on its own. Any chance you can visit the area so you can get a better feel of how it's laid out?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 AM

Thank you for the info... I am thinking Greer or Taylors is sounding best too. I am going to for sure make a trip out to see. I haven't been to that area ever. I have been through south carolina when we vacationed in charleston and myrtle beach. I am hoping being it is more upstate maybe it isn't as humid as charleston? My husband lived there 4 years when he was in the service. I thought it was a beautiful state and could imagine myself living there.
As far as living quarters , I think we will rent an apartment short term to start to make sure that is where we should be. I have looked at some really nice houses , but I will wait to make sure it all works out before we buy. My only concern with renting is i have 2 dogs and 2 cats that I wouldn't be able to live without, they're my fur babies! lol.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:27 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
thanks for your help
I hear ya! We moved here from Chicago. DH really would be happier with Florida weather as he still gets extremely cold here but it isn't as cold as Chicago is right now and no shoveling needed here.

It can be deathly humid here but the farther south you go the worse it will be. We both worked in downtown Chicago (The Loop) and I have to say that it can be just as humid there as it is here.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times
I was between Greer and Taylors as well when I was looking for a home, chose Greer.

Honestly, if you take the time and do a search on this very forum you will find a wealth of information that's already been posted for many of the people who come on here and ask the same questions you are now. You surely don't need to look too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area