Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki413 View Post
We currently live in Summerville (Charleston) and we are moving to Greenville! My Husband got a transfer (that we were praying for) to get out of Charleston! The humidity is WORSE than Florida (it's not like Florida is far!). Humidity is actually worse along the coast. You can't always count-on the breeze unless you actually live on the water. My advice - we've been to Greenville on a lot of trips and we fell in love with the area. If you can, do the same! Check on jobs! Get out of the RUDEST city in America - Charleston:-)
You're going to have rude people everywhere. I actually think a lot of the people I encounter that are the rude ones are tourists. Charleston WAS named the friendliest city in America by Conde Nast. You're going to get rude people in Greenville too.

But anyways, my husband had to fill me in on the whole coast making the temperatures cooler theory. I guess it doesn't really help. But like I mentioned, I still feel that you can't escape the humidity anywhere in the state. It's going to be hot. But with Greenville, you do get seasons and more cooler weather. My parents live there (moved to the area from OH) and absolutely love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 AM

557 posts, read 864,477 times
1. Shouldn't be a problem.
2 and 3.

Snow

The likelihood of snow falling is highest around January 28, occurring in 6% of days.

Probability of Snow Fall Being Reported in a Given Day

Probability that snow will be reported at least once in a given day. The season is defined as the period during which the probability is greater than one third the maximum probability.
Either snow rarely accumulates at this location or snow depth measurements are unavailable or unreliable.

Humidity

The relative humidity typically ranges from 36% (comfortable) to 89% (very humid) over the course of the year, rarely dropping below 18% (dry) and reaching as high as 100% (very humid).

The air is driest around April 11, at which time the relative humidity drops below 45% (comfortable) three days out of four; it is most humid around August 22, exceeding 84% (humid) three days out of four.

Relative Humidity

The average daily high (blue) and low (brown) relative humidity with percentile bands (inner bands from 25th to 75th percentile, outer bands from 10th to 90th percentile).
Dew Point

4. http://www.southcarolinalakes.info/small_lakes.htm

5. http://www.thestate.com/2013/12/16/3...ond-worst.html

6. I have lived here for 35 yrs and have noticed over those years Greenville become a place I wanted to stay and live and raise my family. In other words Greenville has been moving in a positive direction for those 35 yrs I have been here and I could not imagine living anywhere else. Every place has its pros and cons, however I feel Greenville's pros most always outweigh the cons here.

Last edited by BRCainJr; 01-22-2014 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 AM

411 posts, read 853,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepacific View Post
Hi there! My husband and I are from Michigan and moved to Charleston, South Carolina four years ago. He used to work for GM, and when they started offering buy-outs we bought in and moved South in search of a better economy. What we found were better job opportunities, but we traded it for hellish humidity. I. Can't. Take. It. Anymore. :'(

We are seriously considering moving to the Greenville area of South Carolina. So, my questions to you, you wonderful Greenvillers:

1.) My husband works as a Production Supervisor in a manufacturing facility. Manufacturing jobs are not what they used to be, but he has a pretty extensive resume with a Six Sigma and lean manufacturing background. I've looked at a lot of jobs in the area, and it seems there are a lot of manufacturing jobs around there. How is the manufacturing industry in that area, in your opinion? Is it declining, recovering?
We have a lot of manufacturing related jobs in the upstate, and from what I hear, not enough trained workers to fill the positions. Most facilities hire temp to permanent but your husband may be able to skip that with his experience with GM. Of course, we have BMW and plethora of related businesses that support it (Draxel Meyer, SEW Eurodrive, etc.)

2.) How is the humidity in the Summer in Greenville? Is it anything like the humidity hell we have near the coast in South Carolina, where you step outside for five minutes and you feel like a 500 lb. mammoth who has been on a treadmill for five hours?
Greenville has humidity but it's not Charleston. I went to college there so I know what you mean. It feels like you've stepped outside and into sauna.

3.) How much snow is typical of this area over the course of a Winter? I've done some research, and I've read that on average you receive about 6.8 inches of snow per year. I miss snow in the Winter. Even a few flakes with some hot cocoa would cheer me up.
6 inches? Ha. Unless we see some late snow this year, the last time we had snow was two years ago. It snowed "a lot" that winter (i.e. twice, maybe three times) with accumulations no more than 3 inches. But that was an exception and not the rule. We typically see at least a dusting every year but no accumulations. Last year we did get a "freak" snow that wasn't forecasted and dropped about an inch and half. It was lovely.

4.) We love the water, but boating or floating down the river down here equates to one person watching for alligators while the rest of us swim. Do you have any alligators in your rivers or lakes?
Nope.

5.) Please tell me you have better drivers up there? Does everyone know that the left lane is the fast lane? :'( When it rains does everyone all hit their brakes at the same time (because God forbid it's raining) and cause chaos everywhere?
Sadly no. Bad drivers are a state phenomena though admittedly, I think Columbia has some of the better drivers in the state. That's the only thing nice I can say about that Hell hole.

6.) What are the pros of where you live, and what are the cons?
Pros: There's lots of free stuff to do during the warmer months. Greenville downtown is similar to Charleston downtown (without the tourists). We're close to the mountains and have abundant opportunities to seek the outdoors if that is your thing. Cons: the bad drivers, the poorly maintained roads, and the traffic (which is mostly caused by bad drivers and poor roads).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area