Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 AM

279 posts, read 702,790 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved outside Raleigh from Maine 6 months ago. While we like it, we wonder if its too much of a big city for us. The traffic, crowds, etc.
We are out of our lease in 5 months and will try to decide if we buy here, or check out SC for a while.
We have one in kinder. and one who is almost 3, so schools are important, good quality of life, etc.
Anyone have any insight on the differences? We are going to drive down this weekend to check things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:31 AM

915 posts, read 2,424,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagetoutofmaine View Post
My husband and I moved outside Raleigh from Maine 6 months ago. While we like it, we wonder if its too much of a big city for us. The traffic, crowds, etc.
We are out of our lease in 5 months and will try to decide if we buy here, or check out SC for a while.
We have one in kinder. and one who is almost 3, so schools are important, good quality of life, etc.
Anyone have any insight on the differences? We are going to drive down this weekend to check things out.
While I have never been to Raleigh (crazy I know), I can only attest to the Greenville area in terms of the areas you specifically mentioned. First of all, if your first visit to Greenville will be this weekend, I'd be amazed if you didn't love it. In my opinion, quality of life is one of top reasons people are drawn to our area. I have a son who will be 2 on Friday, and my wife and I have always said (for years before he was born) that Greenville is an amazing place to raise a family.

Plan another visit in April/May, go to Main Street Jazz on Friday night, and check out the groups of 3-5 year olds drawing right on Main St in downtown Greenville with sidewalk chalk. That always makes me smile.

South Carolina is the 6th state I've lived in, and Greenville is the 8th city I've lived in, so I have a pretty good basis for comparison.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
I grew up in Raleigh but haven't lived there since 1982. I have continued to go back for visits and agree with you about the traffic and being too big. It's not the liveable small city I loved while growing up.

After living my entire life (mid-50's) in North Carolina (primarily Raleigh, Winston-Salem, and Boone), we moved to Greenville earlier this year due to my husband's transfer. We love it here, and I feel it's more like the Raleigh of yesteryear (a good thing). I don't have children, but from everything I've observed, ckeegan is spot on. It seems like a GREAT place to raise a family. C'mon down!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,007,024 times
Default What part of Maine?

I grew up in Maine. We moved back there in 2000 for a 4-year stay before moving south. We are really happy here. It is definitely calmer than the Raleigh area. Oh, and I am very pleased with my sons' school. It is a little different than in Maine, as the Greenville County school district is huge.

So, what are you looking for? And what caused you to leave Maine?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:12 AM

I was from Southern Maine. We left there due to the cold weather, high price of real estate and the need for change.
How about you?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 AM
jac

We left for the exact same reasons! We lived in a great town just west of Portland. In the 4 years we were there our property taxes more than doubled. I was also not a fan of the cold, the snow, etc.

We now live in the Simpsonville/Fountain Inn area. We are about 3 miles outside the city limits of both. Our boys attend Greenville County schools, which we are very happy with. We have no plans to move again.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 AM

We were in Gorham!! I really hope we love it, and I hope my husband my transfer his job down there.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 AM
jac

So were we! We lived on Fort Hill off of 114. My oldest went to Country Mile for preschool, but we moved right before he started Kindergarten.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 AM

WOW!!! We were on Narragansett, my husband grew up in the house we were living in. We will def. have to get together if we move. How old are your kids now?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
jac

My kids are 9, 6 (almost 7), and 8 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area