Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 10,423 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing an investment property in Anderson.

What are general opinions of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,296,428 times
Anderson has some nice areas and some downright scary areas - for me whether or not to invest there would be really dependent on location of the property.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:33 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
What location for investment property would you have interest in?

Anderson does have lake properties surrounding Lake Hartwell along SC-24 and SC-187.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM

800 posts, read 1,464,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2SC View Post
North Anderson is nice. This is the area around highway 81. Highway 81 is a high growth corridor right now. They should built a new 4 lane road that takes you from highway 81 to Clemson Blvd which is the main drag in the town. This new road should open up Anderson for more development.

The area south/west of CLemson Blvd is a pretty rundown area and i wouldn't recommend investing in land there unless it is near Lake Hartwell.
Yep. Most anywhere on the north side of town, from the Clemson Blvd corridor on the west to the SC 81 corridor on the east, plus areas along the lakefront, is good. Avoid the south side (pretty much anyplace south of SC 24 or south of US 76/178 heading towards Belton) and areas immediately to the east and west of downtown.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 PM

15 posts, read 53,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Yep. Most anywhere on the north side of town, from the Clemson Blvd corridor on the west to the SC 81 corridor on the east, plus areas along the lakefront, is good. Avoid the south side (pretty much anyplace south of SC 24 or south of US 76/178 heading towards Belton) and areas immediately to the east and west of downtown.
Just curious, could you elaborate a little on why to stay away from these areas? I've been perusing Zillow for houses in and around Anderson and there are some fine ones on Market St. (which is described as "historic" Market St.) I've never been to Anderson, but from what I'm reading about it, it seems to be a nice town with some very nice homes at affordable prices. My wife and I are thinking of taking a roadtrip just to check the place out.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage-IL View Post
Just curious, could you elaborate a little on why to stay away from these areas? I've been perusing Zillow for houses in and around Anderson and there are some fine ones on Market St. (which is described as "historic" Market St.) I've never been to Anderson, but from what I'm reading about it, it seems to be a nice town with some very nice homes at affordable prices. My wife and I are thinking of taking a roadtrip just to check the place out.
These areas can be classified as ghettos, hoods or projects. They are usually active for criminal activity. For example, there is a project on West Franklin Street surrounding Westside Community Center.

I do not suspect Abney Mill village north of West Whitener Street to be bad.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 AM

800 posts, read 1,464,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostage-IL View Post
Anderson's definitely a neat town, and the Market St. area does have some nice older homes here and there, but as Carolina Knight mentioned that general neighborhood isn't good. Gentrification has not found its way there, not yet anyway. If you're looking for an older home in a nicer neighborhood, check out the areas between North Murray Avenue and North Main Street, or around Anderson University.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:42 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times
As usual, it seems people speaking on something they don't really know. I'm originally from Anderson and I can tell you that the only area you don't really want to deal with in Anderson proper is homeland park. Outside that you have a lot of poor neighborhoods along and South of 28 bypass and near downtown, but they are not necessarily bad as most suggest. Those areas have crime but it's highly localized in certain spots (ex: the gas station at the bottom of the hill on whitner street). Outside that you can find some great old homes for dirt cheap because all the 'wealthy'is building bloated, snobby and tasteless mcmansions on the north side in the sprawling burbs. Don't think they're free of crime either. There's been shotings, murders, burglery, robbery, and arson all reported on the north side of town. I personally never saw the hype in buying into those subdivisions... They all seem like an attempt by bouchy folks to try and act like the areas something it's not.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aosmith View Post
North Anderson is a nice area. They buy there because they want to live in a safe clean rural area. It isn't some kind of conspiracy. I don't think they are a lot of murders, robbery, etc in north Anderson.

Not everybody wants to live in a 400 sq foot apartment in Atlanta and use mass transit every day.
First off, 'nice' is still subjective about that area. You have parts of it that are nice that you wont find on the south side, but these also may not be in your budget either. Its funny you say they want a clean, safe, rural area because the sprawl through there is mostly within a mile or two from access to either Clemson Blvd or Greenville St, suggesting residents actually just want to be reasonably close to where they work and shop. If they wanted rural, its far more rural, clean, and safe along Hwy 28 south and Hwy 185 in southern Anderson county. Ive never claimed it to be a conspiracy, people just moved closer to where all the shopping was, thats why half as many people live inside the city limits as used to. Theres not a lot of crime comparatively for a large city, but it certainly has its fair share. Andrews in Anderson, which is located at almost the busiest spot of Clemson Blvd where the East/West parkway is has had multiple shootings, stabbings, and murders. Theres also been car theft, car break ins, home invasions, drug cases, retail burglery, etc all within North Anderson neighborhoods within the past year or so. If you wanted to say all criminals lived in Homeland park then just figure since you basically have to own a car in Anderson, all they have to do is hop in the car or call over a friend and five minutes later they can be in North Anderson. If more stores were to finally locate along Pearman Dairy, Shockley Ferry/US 29, Abbeville Hwy/SC 28, and South Main, you would see development and new homes/apartments that are reminisent of what is already in Anderson. That still doesnt mean you cant already find areas like that though. My old store manager and her husband make around 100k a year yet live in homeland park in a very nice 4 bedroom house. My parents live in one of these South Anderson neighborhoods, and have together for the past 31 years. They have yet to have a single crime (well actually, they had one from a woman travelling out of state) and live in a lovely five bedroom home. Their main reason for loving it is because they have no house payments (the property cost roughly 250k less than what it woyld have cost on the north side) and pay hundreds or even thousands less in taxes.

And what does this have to do with Atlanta? I never made on mention of it in my post and feel there was no need to bring it up. And I believe you have a very ignorant idea of what Atlanta is like. Ive yet to see a one bedrrom or studio anywhere in the metro below 500 and something sq feet. I actually live in a 1200 sq foot three bedroom apartment that costs roughly the same as one would in Anderson, yet I have so many more shopping and amenity options here itd be hard to list. Theres also millions of single family homes within the city. And, both options have access to transit...or roads. Though I personally do not care for the roads in either place, you sit around waiting in traffic while I can go outside, get on the bus or go to the train and get where i need to go promptly. I also with a monthly marta pass save several thousand dollars a year that i wouldnt be able to if i had a vehicle. If i ever do need one though, i know where Enterprise and Zipcar are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area