Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times

Advertisements

Is there differences in living in Easley, rather than the other areas?
Many have mentioned to stay away from the West side of Greenvile . . .is Easley on of those areas?

My questions regarding the differences is this: Are the resale values in Easley, the same as they would be in the other areas? What about real estate taxes? Schools? Shopping and Recreation?

If I had bought a house and had to move, would it be as easy to sell in Easley as the other areas?

Anyone's thoughts? Just really looking to make an educated decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM

505 posts, read 940,240 times
nothing wrong with Easley, in my opinion. I lived there for 7 years.

Keep in mind when people say "stay away from West side of Greenville" that Easley is west OF Greenville, but not the west SIDE of Greenville. There's about 6-8 miles between the borders of the two.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:45 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Easley is in Pickens County. Pickens and Greenville counties are separated by the Saluda River. Pickens County has a separate school system, different tax rates, etc.

There is plenty of shopping in Easley, particularly since the new center was developed a couple of years ago.

Tractor Supply, Sams Club, Kohls, Petsmart, Academy Sports, Aldi, Walmart, Kmart, BiLo, Ingles, Publix, Walgreens, CVS, Big Lots, Belks, J C Penny, Hobby Lobby, Staples, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. ad nauseum.

Quite a few choices for restaurants as well.

The only 2 shopping choices I think Easley is missing are Target and a bookstore chain. I'm honestly surprised there isn't a Target. They aren't building any new bookstores anywhere. There is a small independent bookstore in downtown Easley. They don't have a mall either, but it honestly isn't that far over to Haywood Mall and the mess over on Woodruff Road.

Recreation is an area where Easley could stand to grow. The Y is between Easley and Pickens and is pretty small. There aren't a lot of parks, either. They do have a park with baseball fields south of Easley and a few city parks. Easley does seem to be working on this, though, with a planned greenway between Easley and Pickens on an old rail line. I've heard rumors of a larger Y being built in Easley and/or Powdersville but haven't seen any definitive news yet.

I think the Easley / Powdersville area is going to see a lot of growth in the next 10-20 years.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
nothing wrong with Easley, in my opinion. I lived there for 7 years.

Keep in mind when people say "stay away from West side of Greenville" that Easley is west OF Greenville, but not the west SIDE of Greenville. There's about 6-8 miles between the borders of the two.
Oh okay, that's helpful!!!!! didn't realize that glad you posted!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Easley is in Pickens County. Pickens and Greenville counties are separated by the Saluda River. Pickens County has a separate school system, different tax rates, etc.

There is plenty of shopping in Easley, particularly since the new center was developed a couple of years ago.

Tractor Supply, Sams Club, Kohls, Petsmart, Academy Sports, Aldi, Walmart, Kmart, BiLo, Ingles, Publix, Walgreens, CVS, Big Lots, Belks, J C Penny, Hobby Lobby, Staples, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. ad nauseum.

Quite a few choices for restaurants as well.

The only 2 shopping choices I think Easley is missing are Target and a bookstore chain. I'm honestly surprised there isn't a Target. They aren't building any new bookstores anywhere. There is a small independent bookstore in downtown Easley. They don't have a mall either, but it honestly isn't that far over to Haywood Mall and the mess over on Woodruff Road.

Recreation is an area where Easley could stand to grow. The Y is between Easley and Pickens and is pretty small. There aren't a lot of parks, either. They do have a park with baseball fields south of Easley and a few city parks. Easley does seem to be working on this, though, with a planned greenway between Easley and Pickens on an old rail line. I've heard rumors of a larger Y being built in Easley and/or Powdersville but haven't seen any definitive news yet.

I think the Easley / Powdersville area is going to see a lot of growth in the next 10-20 years.

Okay, that's great to know, very helpful!!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
There are areas that resale better than others as is the case everywhere. I have lived here since 1996. Lived about 5 miles away before that but still in a Pickenss County. I find it's convenient to most everywhere I need to go. The new schools have helped. I would like to see more Downtown. Love the Saturday Farmers market & being 35 minutes to the lake, 3-3.5 hours to Charleston & 1.5 hours to the mountains. Guess I'm here to stay.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 AM

505 posts, read 940,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Recreation is an area where Easley could stand to grow. The Y is between Easley and Pickens and is pretty small.
There are two locations. One is where you mentioned, and the other is right in Easley. See here:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...6756631e0957c4

Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
There are two locations. One is where you mentioned, and the other is right in Easley. See here:

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...6756631e0957c4
Thanks!!!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM

P.S. We are Native New Yorkers, and with the Yankee accents. Would that make a difference on where we should move in the area?

Just really want to fit in and make friends and not be shunned because I'm originally from New York, a single mother, and a few tattoos. I am a churchgoer, but not Baptist.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:06 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
If you want to be around the most transplants, Simpsonville probably has the most. The further you get out in the country, probably the fewer transplants. Some people may still not like "Yankees" but I honestly don't think it is a big deal anymore. There are just too many transplants to hate them all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area