Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM

179 posts, read 328,828 times

Advertisements

There is no room for widening Woodruff to make way for Michigan left turns and such.

And diverging diamonds still require two stop lights. SPUI is the way to go for it only requires 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
There is no room for widening Woodruff to make way for Michigan left turns and such.

And diverging diamonds still require two stop lights. SPUI is the way to go for it only requires 1.
Exactly! Thank you!

Widening Wood ruff Road would be impractically expensive and would just get congested again. All development along that road needs to be focused from now on as high density or TOD and they can look at the viability of transit along the corridor.

I just find it amazing how people in SC say they don't want Greenville to be like Atlanta and then turn around and build developments just like ATL

Old 02-11-2014, 06:28 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,763,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
All development along that road needs to be focused from now on as high density or TOD and they can look at the viability of transit along the corridor.
Ironically, Woodruff Rd is one place that transit cannot serve today because the congestion destroys a regular bus schedule, so it is touched by the Clemson shuttle service on occasion.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
If they just closed off all the curb cuts for businesses and made traffic access businesses from the side feeder roads, it would greatly improve traffic flow.

These type of boulevard roads in other states (TX for example) use frontage roads to handle entrances and exits for businesses. This greatly reduces traffic turning off and onto the main road, improving flow and reducing accidents. Probably too late to fix this mess on Woodruff.

Sadly, other developing areas in the Upstate are repeating the same errors made with Woodruff Road.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 7,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post

Sorry.I find the complaining about the traffic on Woodruff Rd silly. Its not that bad compared to commercial areas in larger cities and at its worse on busy shopping days the wait is not that bad. The real problem is people have no patience. They expect to zip to the stores in a minute. Not realistic on a busy Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
I disagree, Greenville is the smallest city I have ever lived in and I cannot imagine larger cities with a mess like Woodruff road. The flow of traffic is much better in other places. They did not plan well at all for any growth.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Ironically, Woodruff Rd is one place that transit cannot serve today because the congestion destroys a regular bus schedule, so it is touched by the Clemson shuttle service on occasion.
Thats why the first form of transit should be grade seperated or priority grade rail. This allows whatevers going on on the road to have no effect on it. And bus service can come along from there. Although...i will say the viability for a consistant schedule shouldnt be a primary concern because do you think those buses that go along through peachtree street in atlanta can be on time when it can take 2 hours to travel two miles?

I would also like to throw out there that the many times I travelled Woodruff Road Ive never spent more than 30 minutes along the whole road. Somebody either doesnt know how to drive properly...something I noticed a lot in SC...or is too polite.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Woodruff Road fix included with this plan: GSA Business | Greenville, SC | Spartanburg, SC | Anderson, SC

Old 08-22-2017, 03:34 PM

Salters Road now open.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Salters Road now open.
The new road connecting behind Target- Woodruff Ind.;Green Heron and Ketron to Verdae can't get going soon enough. Didn't you post December in another thread? Is that the start date?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
The new road connecting behind Target- Woodruff Ind.;Green Heron and Ketron to Verdae can't get going soon enough. Didn't you post December in another thread? Is that the start date?
Yeah. The city wants to start construction on it by the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area