Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 04:47 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

Lowe’s Foods (the home improvement store is better anyways) has cancelled their planned Pelham Road location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Lowe’s Foods (the home improvement store is better anyways) has cancelled their planned Pelham Road location.
I'm *not* shocked. Their move into this market never made much sense for them as a company.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Lowe's Foods should not have expanded further in South Carolina after failing in the Charlotte, North Carolina, area in 2012. It lagged behind Harris Teeter, Ingle's, and Publix.

Bad cooks in the crowded kitchen of supermarket participants in the Greenville County grocery market are going up in smoke.

I wonder if Lowe's Foods existing stores will be open one year from now:
  • Lowe's Foods #263, Riverside Crossing, 850 East Suber Road, Greer, South Carolina 29650-2525
  • Lowe's Foods #264, Village Market East, 2815 Woodruff Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681-4807

Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 AM

453 posts, read 646,280 times
I have to admit to being baffled by all the hate for Lowes Foods. It's far and away my favorite supermarket in town. Their prices are generally great (at worst, no worse than Publix; at best, borderline-surreally great deals to be found), terrific selection, and lots of fun amenities.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Lowe's Foods should not have expanded further in South Carolina after failing in the Charlotte, North Carolina, area in 2012. It lagged behind Harris Teeter, Ingle's, and Publix.

Bad cooks in the crowded kitchen of supermarket participants in the Greenville County grocery market are going up in smoke.

• Lowe's Foods #263, Riverside Crossing, 850 East Suber Road, Greer, South Carolina 29650-2525
  • Lowe's Foods #264, Village Market East, 2815 Woodruff Road, Simpsonville, South Carolina 29681-4807
Charlotte has Ingles? How did they lag behind Ingles in Charlotte. In all fairness the stores Lowes had in the Charlotte area were pretty small and basic and very different from the newer prototype they have now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lowes Foods Riverside and Five Forks stores aren't offered up and acquired by Harris Teeter in the future. It would give HT a quick entry into two higher end areas.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:16 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I have to admit to being baffled by all the hate for Lowes Foods. It's far and away my favorite supermarket in town. Their prices are generally great (at worst, no worse than Publix; at best, borderline-surreally great deals to be found), terrific selection, and lots of fun amenities.
For me it isn't hate for Lowe's Foods so much as it is bewilderment at why they entered an already overcrowded Greenville market that isn't geographically close to any of their other current markets. It just didn't make a lot of sense from a business standpoint.

It would have made sense for them to infill locations into Fayetteville or Goldsboro, NC which would have filled a gap between the coast and their stores in central NC. Opening stores in Greenville that are hours away from the next closest Lowes Foods is poor business.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:24 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Agree
Lowes is a very nice store. The ones on the coast have been thriving for a while now. For some reason people in this area remain loyal to BI-LO (even after they moved their HQ out of the Greenville area) and it's been difficult for other chains to come in and get a foothold . I haven't figured that one out either.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:26 AM

446 posts, read 414,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

The one at Five Forks seems to stay pretty busy. Not as busy as Publix, but definitely busier than the BI-LO in that same area. I'd think it would survive unless the company as a whole decides to pull out of the market.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Charlotte has Ingles? How did they lag behind Ingles in Charlotte. In all fairness the stores Lowes had in the Charlotte area were pretty small and basic and very different from the newer prototype they have now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lowes Foods Riverside and Five Forks stores aren't offered up and acquired by Harris Teeter in the future. It would give HT a quick entry into two higher end areas.
Lowe's Foods lost to Ingle's in Asheville, Morganton, and Shelby in North Carolina.

Harris Teeter needs to increase its store count. It has swapped stores with Lowe's Foods before.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Harris Teeter, Ingle's, and Publix have what Lowe's Foods has and more. Lowe's Foods has had opportunities to improve itself. It has not been able to keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area