Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times

Advertisements

We WILL be having a cat theft deterrent system installed before the coverter is replaced. Honestly, it never even occurred to us this could happen. Call us naive. In our previous home state of 13 years we were not exposed to the level of crime that is here in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
We WILL be having a cat theft deterrent system installed before the coverter is replaced. Honestly, it never even occurred to us this could happen. Call us naive. In our previous home state of 13 years we were not exposed to the level of crime that is here in Greenville.
Didn't know such a thing existed, until now. Are you going with the more expensive (~$125) clamp/lock or with the cheaper (~$15) permanently etched identification? While the latter would not prevent removal of the cat, it would prevent the perp from being able to sell it to any legitimate, law-abiding recycler.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:12 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,715 times
I have read that only original factory catalytic converters are being stolen because replacement cats have ceramic material inside instead of platinum. Since yours has already been stolen, you may not need to shell out the cash for a locking device.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 PM

422 posts, read 542,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
This is surprising - I can't think of anyone in my circle of Greenville friends that has been the victim of a property crime. And I'm shocked to hear what happened in the Costco parking lot! Did they smash your window to steal something inside, or just for the heck of it?
My fiance left her purse tucked under the seat, must have been sticking out just enough to see. Crime off opportunity i suppose, so needless to say we leave absolutely nothing in the car anymore!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
Default Catalytic Converter Theft

Have Honda Element. Cost $3000 to have converter replaced. Had product called Catstrap installed. Has cables embedded in strap that bonds to exhaust pipe. With attempts to cut it, sends wireless signal to activate alarm. Have not had any problems since.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJb View Post
Have Honda Element. Cost $3000 to have converter replaced. Had product called Catstrap installed. Has cables embedded in strap that bonds to exhaust pipe. With attempts to cut it, sends wireless signal to activate alarm. Have not had any problems since.
I am very sorry to hear you have gone through this. Are you in Greenville, or elsewhere? We have ordered a CatClamp(dot com is the website) to have put on. We are waiting on it, and still dealing with insurance. We expect it to all come together early next week. Our insurance company, and the dealer have been wonderful.
In the meantime we have a rental car.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 PM

17,582 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
I am very sorry to hear you have gone through this. Are you in Greenville, or elsewhere? We have ordered a CatClamp(dot com is the website) to have put on. We are waiting on it, and still dealing with insurance. We expect it to all come together early next week. Our insurance company, and the dealer have been wonderful.
In the meantime we have a rental car.
Huh.. I'm curious about that.. Who is your insurance company and how are they treating it?

I assume that they are processing it under your comprehensive insurance? So, you'll pay the deductible and that's it?

I can see that being an interesting situation.. I mean.. I first read your post and thought "No way insurance will cover that", but.. It's the same thing as if someone stole the car, I suppose?

Is it being handled through your auto or homeowners insurance?

Generally, if someone broke into your car and stole something.. The damage to the vehicle would be covered under comprehensive auto.. While the items stolen would be covered under homeowners. This is.. Actually part of the car being stolen.. I'm assuming, since it was a new car, you have comprehensive and that is covering it? I wonder, if it were an older car, and you only carried liability, would homeowners cover it? I'm thinking if it happened in your driveway.. Perhaps.. If you were out and about.. perhaps not.

I'm pretty sure my insurance (USAA) would give no problems with it if it happened to me.. Just curious as to which policy would be considered to cover it.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Our insurance company(21st century, a subsidiary of Farmers) has been wonderful. It is covered under our auto comprehensive coverage. They set us up with a rental car on Monday, and came out to examine the vehicle. They then arranged for a tow to the garage of our choice. The adjuster went to the garage today, and is working with them. We ordered the cat clamp device, and it is suppose to arrive tomorrow. The shop will make repairs on Monday. A check is in the mail to us, minus our deductible.

It happened at our apartment complex. We are new in town, and have a six month lease here which expires end of July. So far, it seems we were the only one hit in this complex. Across the street there were a few other cars. So far, all Hondas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area