Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebenezer4 View Post
It is amazing how important the exterior of a mall is to people. You guys love a mall and retail stores. They love taking your money too. lol
I don't get this as well. I could care less what the exterior of a mall looks like. As long as the stores inside the mall suit my needs, then I'm good. But as for the mall itself, Greenville has it pretty well off for not being a huge metropolitan city. It's sad that I get excited going to Haywood when I'm visiting my parents because the shopping in Charleston is horrible. I think the best malls in the state are Haywood and Coastal Grand. I've never been to the one in Columbia.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:02 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
While the Belk store at Haywood is nice, their larger flagship stores offer a more upscale selection. Their flagship stores are in Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Birmingham, Dallas, and soon to be Huntsville, Alabama.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:21 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Nope, just my own personal experience of living in Maryland and applying to some other jobs. I don't need to prove it to you. I don't think you are in a good occupation and that is why you talk about incomes in Greenville. Greenville isn't one corporation with one pay scale. That is how you present it. You haven't proven that pay is lower in Greenville. You take your personal experience of not being able to get paid well and extrapolate it. I'm sure you have some kind of government website to back you up and we all know the government is right about these things. Engineering salaries are not higher in Florida. I've interviewed down there in jacksonville and with Progress Energy in Tampa and Orlando.

Woa man, where did that all come from? Geeeeez... You from Maryland?

I just asked a question... and I asked it nicely too. Why take such offense?

I'm not in a bad job situation and never said I was. I do quite well thanks, working for a GC in Central FL. I probably make more than most.

Oh- and I'm speaking from personal experience as well, just as you are. I don't have any govt websites to back me up, not sure where that comment came from either. But for a city of GVL's size, which is medium, there's definitely a few occupations that need to be paid more. These occupations are mainly ones for Greenville Co, City of Greenville and state of SC.

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 04-27-2014 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 09:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Woa man, where did that all come from? Geeeeez... You from Maryland?

I just asked a question... and I asked it nicely too. Why take such offense?

I'm not in a bad job situation and never said I was. I do quite well thanks, working for a GC in Central FL. I probably make more than most.

Oh- and I'm speaking from personal experience as well, just as you are. I don't have any govt websites to back me up, not sure where that comment came from either. But for a city of GVL's size, which is medium, there's definitely a few occupations that need to be paid more. These occupations are mainly ones for Greenville Co, City of Greenville and state of SC.

What's your problem ? You also come on the Western NC forum and complain about Asheville and the mountain towns. Geesh, you're everywhere hating everything, and an expert on nothing.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:37 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,679 times
^^^^ None of this has ANYTHING to do with the OP's question. Idk why ComSense and QuilterChick had to put their 2 cents in when it's just nonsense. It's called IGNORE if you don't like what you just read.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM

I like GVL, its one of my fave places. I'm not bashing, I'm simply commenting what could improve. It's almost cult-like the way I was jumped on for my opinion. I even countered my thought with a compliment in my initial post. No place is perfect. But let's not get so angry lol. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, that's for sure.

Ebeneezer4, it says your account was just created in April of 2014... how would you know me in the first place? Are you a banned member that keeps coming back? Because there's no way - if you signed up for C-D this month, you would claim to know my opinions.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You trying to out me, control freak? You always show up on this forum talking about salarries suck in Greenville and then say you aren't bashing it. You are such a smarmy guy. You are some dumb firefighter guy. What is it with this forum and dumb firefighters? You and that CD guy from Charleston. You can't get paid anything so you extrapolate salaries for everybody. Like Oviedo is some kind of utopia for getting paid well. Get real, homey. If you care about making a lot of money, you don't go into a career like firefighting. You can look at average salaries for every occupation prior to entering the profession. Don't complain after the fact. Sounds like you would prefer to live in Greenville given you always on this forum so maybe more money isn't the source of all happiness. If the goal is to maximize your earnings you have to be willing to move to places you might not prefer to live in. There is no guaranteed job in any city at a rate you think is sufficient.

I'm not a FF. Firefighters in FL make decent money, many over $100k. I'm not bashing GVL at all, and I have no idea what you mean about "trying to out you?" I'm not a dumb guy, by any means, "homie."

This response me me laugh, actually.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:13 PM

See thats the difference, we have a very different background/lifestyle. I can't live off of $20k or anywhere near that. So if I'm saying I like GVL but I wish the pay were higher, I'm not bashing it. There are things ppl could bash about any place.

I could say... I wish Asheville's cost of living wasnt so high, or I wish Greenville jobs (in general) paid more, or I wish it wasnt so expensive to rent a house in Oviedo... it doesnt mean I'm making fun of the place, its just something that could be improved.

But some ppl on these forums seem to take light criticism to a whole new level. Ex: if I went on to the Orlando forum and said. "it costs to much for what you get in Oviedo," ppl would chime in with "yeah, you're right" or "tell me about it!", not the way some ppl react on here or the Asheville forum.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
It makes no sense to talk about salaries in a collective sense and by city. Salaries are individualized. There is no way Oviedo corporatoins offer more pay in every occupation across the board. They might not even have comparable companies and industries that you find in Greenville. You are always asserting salaries are low in Greenville. We understand you believe that. You don't need to repeat it every few weeks. It does come across as sour grapes. But at end of day it is just an anecdote you are telling. I know for engineers the companies in Greenville pay well enough. They have people working here from all over the country.

It may not, I couldnt tell you bro. I just go by my own experience and others I know that have lived in both places, etc. For what I do, I work for a General Contractor/Builder. The pay here is pretty good, and a bit better than what I made working in Greenville, doing the same thing. Same as nurses, teachers, firefighters and policemen. Now, does someone at Flour make more than me? I'm sure. There may be some instances, but in general is what I'm speaking. I also know a few other ocupations where its the same as above (lower in Greenville) but, Greenville's cost of living is quite a bit lower, as I stated in my earlier post.

It's not sour grapes, I like Greenville, a lot actually.

PS- Oviedo is actually half tjhe size of Greenville, so tough to compare anyway.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:17 PM

36% is a lot of growth over the last 10-12 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area