Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM

89 posts, read 223,242 times

Advertisements

Traveling from Charleston to Nashville and want to spend the night in either Gatlinburg or Travelers Rest, which town has more to do? Nice restaurants night life and some outdoor daytime activities. Hiking, water fun etc etc? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,613,814 times
If you have the cash, stay in downtown Greenville - much, much nicer than anything in TR (although TR has come a long way). Downtown G'ville has numerous great restaurants and "night life" - there is no night life in TR.

Outdoor, daytime activity? just go to Falls Park and bring your camera.

IMO, Gatlinburg is one of the tackiest cities in the country (with the worst traffic!) - avoid it.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,669,850 times
From a strictly logistical standpoint, Gatlinburg makes more sense as it's about half way, while TR is less than two hours into a 6 - 7 hour drive.

As drfranklin pointed out, the two are also on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum:

Gatlinburg is a somewhat tacky tourist town, but it's loaded to the rim with things to do, places to eat, lodging, and it's literally at the gate to Great Smoky Mountain NP (miles and miles of hiking, sight seeing, driving, etc).

Travelers Rest is nice, but it's a smallish town with a few restaurants, and virtually no lodging.

If you aren't looking to cut the drive in half (Greenville is still at least 5 hours from Nashville), then I'd second Greenville itself, otherwise I think I'd go with Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, or somewhere along I40 between Asheville and Knoxville.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 AM

89 posts, read 223,242 times
Thanks for replies, not really looking for a touristy place like Gatlinburg is described, any other suggestions that might be a little further along than Greenville?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,613,814 times
Drive an hour north of Greenville, SC to Asheville - Asheville is the antithesis of Gatlinburg. Then, take I-40 west (out of Asheville) to Nashville (4 and 1/2 hours to Nashville - plus you gain an hour with central time).

If you haven't seen downtown Greenville/Falls Park, you really need to make the quick detour on I-385 (it ends right in downtown) and have lunch/dinner there - again, make sure you see Falls Park. You can then take Hwy 25 north to Asheville - MUCH prettier drive than I-26.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM

334 posts, read 626,616 times
25 north drive is very pretty. but for my money, I'm spending the night in Asheville.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,093,326 times
I'd say Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge but if you don't want something touristy, that won't work. I second Greenville or Asheville. Another place you might want to check into is Knoxville, TN. It has a nice downtown with restaurants and nightlife. It is further along the way so you're not stopping too soon. You have plenty of choices.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:15 PM

77 posts, read 110,662 times
We were planning to go to Nashville and we were going to stop in Chattanooga, TN, but that would be a different route for you, through Atlanta. Otherwise, if not Greenville, I would stay in Asheville or Waynesville.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 PM

5,167 posts, read 7,376,537 times
Some people call Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge the "Myrtle Beach of the mountains" as they have more shopping, restaurants and tourist attractions. Including Dollywood theme park. But I would hardly consider Traveler's Rest a tourist destination, as it is more of quiet, small town near the foothills of the mountains. But they do have a Hardee's and a Walmart.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 AM

696 posts, read 1,336,769 times
Asheville would be my stopping point for the day. It's roughly halfway and you would have plenty of time left in your day to sight see a little, have some dinner, and still get a good night's sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area