Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:19 PM

170 posts, read 878,196 times

Advertisements

I have recently visited Greenville & Travelers Rest. I would like to know as much as possible about the general area. How is the weather? How cold is it in the winter and how hot in the summer? Do the leaves change color? Is it buggy in the summer and is it humid? Also are there any areas to stay away from? How is the employment market? Is the area affected at all by hurricanes, tornados, or flash floods? Are there any nuclear pplants near by, or any land fills? I know these are a lot of questions but will help me make a decision. Also any good builders in the area?

Any info will help.
Thanks,
Fallgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
I have recently visited Greenville & Travelers Rest. I would like to know as much as possible about the general area. How is the weather? How cold is it in the winter and how hot in the summer? Do the leaves change color? Is it buggy in the summer and is it humid? Also are there any areas to stay away from? How is the employment market? Is the area affected at all by hurricanes, tornados, or flash floods? Are there any nuclear pplants near by, or any land fills? I know these are a lot of questions but will help me make a decision. Also any good builders in the area?

Any info will help.
Thanks,
Fallgirl
Hi fallgirl!

You seem to be interested in areas that are near mountains but not right in them, right? Travelers Rest is a great location for someone looking for this type of place. It is a growing area (somewhat slower than other suburbs around Greenville), and has a broad range of people with various income levels. There are new gated golf communities (The Cliffs) that are well known to the professional golf world, and a new professional athlete training village (Pla d'Adet) is under development by one of the World's leading cyclists, U.S. Pro Champion George Hincapie. While the new places are great additions to the Greenville metro area, there is plenty of beautiful open, rolling countryside with the mountains as a close backdrop. If you love the outdoors and natural beauty, this is about as perfect an area to live as any, while still being within short driving distance from 24-hour shopping and numerous dining options.

Weather is moderate year-round, but the extreme temperatures occasionally range from the 20s in winter to the 90s in the summer. If it gets too hot, the mountains are a short drive away for cool refreshment, or the awesome lakes are nearby to the west. Flash flooding is common in low-lying areas near creeks and rivers during heavy thunderstorms. Bugs come around in the summer, but aren't too bad (nothing like Florida). You can expect humidity in the summer since this area experiences plenty of annual rainfall (again, nothing like Florida's humidity), but that helps keep everything so green. Hurricanes are never a threat to this area, though we occasionally experience the rain bands that are associated with them. Tornadoes are extremely rare, and nearly non-existent, but they can happen anywhere in the Southeast. There are no landfills nearby, and the nearest nuclear power plant is in Oconee County, two counties to the west of Greenville.

The job market in the Greenville metro area is among the strongest in the nation. You should have no trouble locating a job here.

Here are a few photos I shot last fall in the Travelers Rest area:

Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,665 times
Great photos Skyliner! They capture my minds image of Travelers Rest. For several years your photo of Sunrift and Paris Mtn. were on my morning commute to work. Just beautiful. Early morning sun rays piercing through the clouds that cradle into the mountain. What a way to start the day!

I agree with all of your comments. I'd like to add, the weather can get a bit dangerous during an ice storm. We tend to have one or two a year.

I've been in Greenville for almost 8 years now and have always been confused as to why development has been slow on the northern half of the county. That is changing now, and very rapidly.

We're currently building in TR and feel that it is the perfect place for us to call home.

Do a search for TR and it will pull up the city website. It's done nicely with many photographs.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Thanks Skyliner

It is a huge decision to considering moving to an area you nothing about. I made that mistake once and do not care to do it again. 8 1/2 years ago I moved from LI NY to Port Orange Florida. It is time to go. Fall is my favortite time of year. I miss the four seasons and if I can't have four three will do. I am trying to research this as much as possible before I really get serious. It is just time for a change. It will be different for me because I have always lived near the ocean, but also love the mountains. Seeing the beautiful photos you attached just brings a smile to my face. Thank you. Any other info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fallgirl

Old 04-27-2007, 10:38 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Yep. Skyliner answered it.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:43 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
It is a huge decision to considering moving to an area you nothing about. I made that mistake once and do not care to do it again. 8 1/2 years ago I moved from LI NY to Port Orange Florida. It is time to go. Fall is my favortite time of year. I miss the four seasons and if I can't have four three will do. I am trying to research this as much as possible before I really get serious. It is just time for a change. It will be different for me because I have always lived near the ocean, but also love the mountains. Seeing the beautiful photos you attached just brings a smile to my face. Thank you. Any other info you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
As your member name indicates, and as you just confirmed, Fall is indeed your favorite time of year. It is no mere coincidence that Fall happens to be my favorite time of year in Greenville as well. We enjoy a very long period of virtually perfect weather from September through November (often even into December). The temperatures are as comfortable as anyone could hope for, and the natural beauty of the changing leaves is truly a heavenly annual event. Being such a short drive from the awesome Blue Ridge Mountains, my favorite Fall getaways include several of the quaint mountain villages nearby, which can be either enjoyed on a short daytrip or even much longer, if you have the time (There are fantastic B&Bs all over the mountains). If you love hiking, cycling, or horseback riding, Fall in this part of the country is second to none. There are countless waterfalls to discover and explore as well. If you haven't done so yet, I strongly encourage you to make time for a visit to this area. Pick up brochures, maps, and any other form of information you can use to help uncover many "secrets" of the charming attractiveness we love and enjoy so well here.

Here are several (sorry there are so many) photos of my favorite daytrip/weekend getaway to the incredible Highlands, NC, area. This is the highest incorporated town in the Eastern USA, and the surrounding beauty is simply breathtaking.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Skyliner,
Thanks again. I can see from your numerous photos (which by the way look professional) that you love fall as well. I guess I love it so much because I was born on Thanksgiving day. I plan on making a few more visits to the area to get a better feel for the area. You know there is no perfect place and every place has its own beauty. Not that Florida is not a nice place, I just need to be where there are seasons. Thanks again for your beautiful photos and response.

Fallgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
As your member name indicates, and as you just confirmed, Fall is indeed your favorite time of year. It is no mere coincidence that Fall happens to be my favorite time of year in Greenville as well. We enjoy a very long period of virtually perfect weather from September through November (often even into December). The temperatures are as comfortable as anyone could hope for, and the natural beauty of the changing leaves is truly a heavenly annual event. Being such a short drive from the awesome Blue Ridge Mountains, my favorite Fall getaways include several of the quaint mountain villages nearby, which can be either enjoyed on a short daytrip or even much longer, if you have the time (There are fantastic B&Bs all over the mountains). If you love hiking, cycling, or horseback riding, Fall in this part of the country is second to none. There are countless waterfalls to discover and explore as well. If you haven't done so yet, I strongly encourage you to make time for a visit to this area. Pick up brochures, maps, and any other form of information you can use to help uncover many "secrets" of the charming attractiveness we love and enjoy so well here.

Here are several (sorry there are so many) photos of my favorite daytrip/weekend getaway to the incredible Highlands, NC, area. This is the highest incorporated town in the Eastern USA, and the surrounding beauty is simply breathtaking.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:15 PM

49 posts, read 254,207 times
Hi fallgirl,

I grew up in Orlando, moved to Asheville, NC in 2002 (another great place), and finally to TR last year. Let me tell you - TR is a great little town with many positive changes coming in the near future. The old railroad tracks that lead from TR to Falls Park in downtown Greenville are in the process of coming up. When complete - there will be a walking/biking trail from TR to Falls Park (about 9 miles), ultimately - they are planning a tram to make the trip. There is a master plan for redesigning downtown into a quaint 'destination' area that is supposed to get underway this year. There are numerous new shopping areas that are going up in former factory locations around town. My favorite aspect of TR are the mountain views - you can see them in the distance (similar to the way you see them in Denver). Getting to downtown Greenville takes less than 15 min. Driving up into the mountains in Hendersonville, NC takes about 30 min. If you're wondering what brought me down here from Asheville? - the price of housing and taxes - both are much lower down here, and the area is just as nice. Good luck - and let me know if there are any more questions I can answer.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,354 times
Forgive the cut/paste from another thread, but I feel this applies here as well:

Quote:
Travelers Rest is a great area, in my opinion. My wife and I have a young family (one in elementary school, the other just a toddler). We moved up here to get away from Orlando back in 2001 for many of the same reasons. We looked at all areas of town. Although the Mauldin/Sipsonville/Greer area and over on the Eastside was close to all the shopping/restraunts/etc. at the time, we chose to move to Travelers Rest.

I'll provide some photos because just talking about it doesn't do it justice...

There are a couple of nice parks here in T.R. and Furman University is very close by (it's like a park in and of itself, believe me...we walk around the campus very frequently).

Gateway Park:

Not pictured: Poinsett Park.

Furman University:

We have our own branch library (pictured below), too, which is extremely convenient.

The North Greenville YMCA (pictured below) is located nearby and has lots of activities for the family (sports, exercise classes, etc.).

There's a rails-to-trails project currently underway to link Travelers Rest to Furman University and then Furman on into Downtown Greenville using an old abandoned rail line (left: Travelers Rest end of the trail, center and right: Downtown Greenville end of the trail).

The schools have all been either completely remodeled (Heritage and Gateway Elementary and Northwest Middle) or replaced with a new structure altogether (T.R. High School, pictured below).

Plus: You'd be closer to the state parks and the mountains if you get that
urge to get even farther away from it all.

Shopping options were limited when we first moved to T.R., but we didn't mind driving as driving a long distance to get to certain things was common to us in Orlando. Since we've lived here, more shopping and dining options have cropped up near Cherrydale (Ross, TJ Max, Staples, Petco, Old Navy, Olive Garden, Starbucks, etc.) and more are on the way (Circuit City/Kohl's, etc.)...plus there's a huge cineplex at Cherrydale. Now if only Target, Sonic, Breuster's, Moe's, and Firehouse Subs would open up on this end of town or in Travelers Rest, I'd personally be set. Additionally, the nicest Wal-Mart (and I'm not a fan of Wal-Mart (pictured below) by any means) and arguably the nicest McDonald's you'll ever see are here in Travelers Rest...if you're into the simple stuff.

The best part of living here in T.R. is that there is a VERY SHORT drive into Downtown Greenville and parking at the Richardson Street Garage behind the Mast General Store is very convenient (and free on weekends). Also, it's a short drive up into Hendersonville and Asheville from here.

If you want to know more about Travelers Rest, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to share with you what I know.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:04 PM

Question How are outsiders treated ?

RestedTraveler,
Thanks for the info. How are "outsiders" viewed? It is always difficult to start over in a new place. You hear that in a lot of areas in different states that people are not happy with "outsiders" especially people re-locating from Florida, who also may be originally from New York like I am. (Please everyone spare the New Yawka comments, very annoying). I just want to live in a nice place, have peace and quiet, hopefully meet some nice people and live happily ever after. You said that you moved from Orlando, how was the transition? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area