Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times

Advertisements

This may not be of much help to you, but there is an old order Amish community in western Yadkin County, NC not far from the intersection of I-77 and US 421 (between Winston-Salem and Wilkesboro, and north of Charlotte). The only contact I am aware of, without making a personal visit, is the Shiloh Bakery, located at 5520 St. Paul Church Rd., Hamptonville, NC27020. Telephone is 336-468-4789. I don't know how current this information is.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,555 times
Default Pop Goes the Bubble

[quote=justNancy;2295248]Sorry, but Amish people DO NOT drive motor vehicles. quote]

I truly hate to burst your bubble since you seem so very impresse with your own information, but I lived in a state with a large Amish community. An communicated with Amish people on a daily basis. They will infact drive a car if for work. They also hire out to be driven long distatance. You haven't lived until you have been passed on the highway by a van full of rowdy amish teens. There is also a time in a young Amish persons life called, Rumspringa. It is a time period in a young persons life usually the age of 16 when they are able to leave the Amish lifestyle and live the life of an English. Then after a year or two, they decide if they want to live English or commit to the Amish life. If you are instersted in Amish people and culture watch the documentary "The Devil's Playground" it is excellent.
Oh and I use to work at a large retail store while living in the midwest. The young people LOVE Little Debbie cakes, and pop. And they usally pay with wad of cash or a check book. This is a topic that requires some research before one can ramble on about it... LIVE IT or READ IT just KNOW IT! Have a wonderufl new year all!
Lexie

Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexieandazzy View Post
and pop.
Ma'am, please please please just say soda at least. We've already had "coke" taken away for the most part in Greenville. I would have a heart attack at my young age if I started hearing "pop" become a regular term. Unfortunately, some people on my Northern/Midwestern half of the family say it but usually just between each other.

Call Greenville "progressive" and "open to transplants" all you want but saying "pop" is still a sin.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM

^Sorry, if that came out as mean but it's sort of hot-button.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Talking Unleash the POP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Ma'am, please please please just say soda at least. We've already had "coke" taken away for the most part in Greenville. I would have a heart attack at my young age if I started hearing "pop" become a regular term. Unfortunately, some people on my Northern/Midwestern half of the family say it but usually just between each other.

Call Greenville "progressive" and "open to transplants" all you want but saying "pop" is still a sin.
My dear guestposter... I grew up in the upstate, was transplanted to the midwest. Took me a year to learn to say pop (it is just as foriegn there to say coke or soda) I have only been back in the upstate for a year... will take me awhile to untrain, lol.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexieandazzy View Post
My dear guestposter... I grew up in the upstate, was transplanted to the midwest. Took me a year to learn to say pop (it is just as foriegn there to say coke or soda) I have only been back in the upstate for a year... will take me awhile to untrain, lol.
lol You'll get used to it again.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,378,718 times
Saying "pop" in Greenville is definitely not a sin. I was born in Greenville and have lived here most of my life, trust me. Although I rarely consume pop anymore, I typically use the word in reference to soda/soft drink. I have used "soda pop" occasionally, and at times the actual name of the drink, but I have never generically referred to soft drink as "Coke." That would be silly. Losing that particular word usage was a good change.

Guestposter, you live in a completely different generation than your parents. Worrying yourself sick over such ridiculously minor details as regional word usage for soft drink is likely going to shorten your life and make it miserable for yourself and others around you. Now that you brought it up, I will make it a point to tell everyone that it is okay to use the word "POP" when referring to soda/soft drink.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 AM

Sky, thank you for your support, ever feel like one of those Bartles and James guys, lol? Anywho, I like saying POP, I don't think I will call it anything but from now on, lol.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
love how a discussion about the amish became a discussion about pop, lol

Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Saying "pop" will get you a weird look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area