Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 09:12 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

We like to catch hiking trails via the water on both Jocasse and Keowee. We stay at Jocassee but go back and forth to both lakes.

On Jocassee we've been to the Toxaway River Swing Bridge area and enjoyed that hike. We've caught the Foothills trail from Jocasse near Laurel Falls also and of course done the 2 trails at the Devil's Fork State Park. We've also done the lower and upper Whitewater falls trails.

We've also driven to Keowee-Toxaway State Park and hiked the Natural Bridge Trail.

We get bored doing the same trails over and over and always look for new trails to try that aren't very strenuous.

Last time we were on Keowee, we parked the boat across from the golf course in a little cove and caught a trail there. It was beautiful. It might have been either the Natural Trail or Raven Trail.

I'm wondering if Mile Creek Park has anyplace to hike? I can't find any info online about it as far as the hiking. I thought maybe someone in this forum might be more familiar with that area.

Also while looking around online for hiking places on those 2 lakes, I found this youtube (Lake Keowee Fall Creek Waterfall)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHOR-J39McI

Evidently from listening to him, it's a popular place to hang out in the summer. Anyone know how to get to it by boat? If getting there by boat is there a place to hike and can you get to the trail by walking to it from the water?

Anyone know of any other places to hike where we can catch the trails from the banks of the lakes? If not, do you know of some good trails near those 2 lakes that are just a quick drive?

Thanks for any recommendations!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM

321 posts, read 406,256 times
I think you will find it here...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.88...2&z=19&iwloc=A

If you turn on photos within Google maps you will see a pic that someone uploaded.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russwd View Post
I think you will find it here...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.88...2&z=19&iwloc=A

If you turn on photos within Google maps you will see a pic that someone uploaded.
Great. Thanks. We always put the boat in at Falls Creek Landing so looks like it's pretty close and not as far down as Miles Creek Park.

Looking at the video, he mentions a trail there at the waterfall. I can't find anything out about that and I'm still wondering if we can get out of the boat once we get there and walk around and up to the bridge...maybe a path that leads up over the falls?

Kept digging last night and did find this too:

Last edited by diddlydudette; 10-23-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Also in the youtube above, you see a bridge and picnic area in that video but not in this video which is strange.

This is the same place right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Ag183Rh_E

Old 10-24-2014, 06:04 AM

321 posts, read 406,256 times
Same place... If you pause the second video at 2:34 you can see the trail but the bridge is behind trees.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 AM

298 posts, read 686,703 times
This is a VERY popular place, particularly in the summer. That is actually a downside. Too many people, all arriving by boat to throw anchor and party. Lots of loud music and shouting. Hard to even hear the waterfall in the background. I pity the people who bought the million dollar homes along the banks of this cove. The Cliffs showed these lots in the fall (no boaters around). Imagine their surprise when summer came around and the party animals crawled out of their caves. We run into that cove to show guests the waterfall and then pull back out. Just not our thing I guess.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
This is a VERY popular place, particularly in the summer. That is actually a downside. Too many people, all arriving by boat to throw anchor and party. Lots of loud music and shouting. Hard to even hear the waterfall in the background. I pity the people who bought the million dollar homes along the banks of this cove. The Cliffs showed these lots in the fall (no boaters around). Imagine their surprise when summer came around and the party animals crawled out of their caves. We run into that cove to show guests the waterfall and then pull back out. Just not our thing I guess.
We're not looking to party. We're a family that chooses to go to Jocassee/Kewowee twice a year during off season to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Can't find any info regarding this waterfall as far as the trail how long it is, etc. or if we could get to it via parking the boat along the water. We'll probably go check it out and if nothing else just look at it and take pics.

Sounds like you go to Keowee often. Are there any other 'must see' sights along the shores of Keowee to check out?

We usually just ride around and look at the beautiful homes, ride near the dam that separates Joscasse/Kewowee, or stop near the golf course and hook up to the Raven trail and do a nice hike and maybe picnic in the beach-like cove.

We did go to Miles Creek last visit and walked around a bit. It was nice. We found a picnic table there in a cove parked the docked the boat and sat and fed fish. We saw some trails but after writing to Miles Creek, the trail is only 1/2 mile long....a little too short for a day hike for us.

We know there are a couple of cliffs where people jump off an into the water. We've seen those......very cool to watch people jumping off.

Anything else worth a stop or pass by?

Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM

792 posts, read 496,332 times
It will be very difficult to get to that waterfall trail by boat without getting in the water. If you look at google maps in satellite mode you can see you can practically drive to it now. Honestly, it's probably not even worth it to do that. The "trail" is probably very short, just long enough for the nearby houses to access, and you won't be able to see much I bet.

From what you are describing, if you want to go hiking there is a 4 mile trail in Keowee State Park. Things to do at Keowee-Toxaway State Park

They have recently updated their lake access, I'm pretty sure you can easily dock there and start walking. Haven't tried it myself. I'm assuming Raven Rock is the other jump off rock, I've seen people up there and figured they had to be there via the state park.

If you've got the time I would go all the way to the (big) marina. Every gas station within 10 miles of the lake sells a map. I've been doing it a long time and sometimes I still 2nd guess myself on where to turn, etc.

It's a good time to go, not too cold, not much wind, very few people, fall colors etc.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:03 PM

Thanks Mr. Bruce. We'll probably just check out the waterfall for something different to see. Good to know the trail isn't worth it.

Yep, we've gone to the Keowee State Park on the Jocasse side (other side of Hwy. 11 from Keowee) and hiked the Natural Bridge Trail. Then another trip, we boated on Keowee and docked the boat across from the golf course and did the Raven Rock trail so sounds like we've already hiked all that Keowee has to offer. I didn't know if there were other points of interest or other neat places to hike also. We're always looking for something different to see or do.

We may have to try and find the marina. Thanks for the suggestion and help.

One place we discovered in the area that was so worth the rugged trip was Jumping Off Rock. It was a gorgeous view of Jocassee. I highly recommend that.

We usually go this time of year and late spring. We never know what the weather will be like but you can't visit the area and ever have a bad time. It's all good and worth the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area