Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 AM

10 posts, read 13,991 times

Advertisements

Hi Greenville,
I am looking to make a big move possibly to your town while coming from the California coast and one of the most liberal cities in the nation. I am curious about Greenville because I am really wanting to end up, settle and go somewhere where I a can open a small business, own a home, possibly raise a kid and not lose my proverbial 'Life' over it. . California, and especially where we are, is extremely over-priced and it is just way to hustle bustle for us.
I guess ultimately what I am wanting to know is - is Greenville, being as economically progressive of a city it seems, progressive in other ways - I am a young gay adult man with a partner of 10 years.
We are what some would view as 'Alternative' being that we have tattoos and probably definately reek of a California "style" (thought not an aire). We are not the type of gay men who over use PDA's and feel the need to prove a point with our lifestyle, we are very comfortable and confident both in who we are. Neither of us are big partiers or need the clubs, gay pride or really any amenities like that. We just know that we are humans and we are who we are.
I am just not so familiar with the South. I have been through a couple times but never long enough to gauge what it would be like to live there. I don't want to sound like a fool but does Greenville have the same stigma that a lot of the South carries in its tolerance of others who have 'alternative' lifestyles?
I know I will get recommendations to check out Asheville but from what I have read/heard is that Asheville doesn't have a diverse economy and that finding a job there is hard. I want to start a successful business so I am looking for somewhere that is moving forward economically and Greenville sounds like that. There are obvious reasons I am looking to move to this area - The weather, the mountains, the location in terms of other destinations. Just thought reaching out for a public opinion would be a great way to get an understanding of what appears to be a beautiful area!
Thanks Greenvillians ,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 AM

143 posts, read 207,498 times
Hi Brian,
I've lived in many areas of the country (Midwest, Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina). I'm married, have 4 kids, and we've lived in Greenville area for about 3 years. Overall, it is a good place to live. I've been coming here for about 22 years (the headquarters is here for the company I work for), so I have a perspective of "from the outside looking in".

Over the last 22 years, several large companies have moved to the Upstate, which means that there are many transplanted people here- from New York, Ohio, France, Germany, and India. These companies have recruited top talent, so the diversity you find in the neighborhoods reflects such. Within the company I work for, I see more and more diversity- in fact they offered "domestic partner benefits" back in 2006 or 2007. I think the community is consciously trying to be more culturally diverse.

I think that the pre-judging you may find here will be no better (or worse) than you find in other communities. I think there will be gossipers no matter where you live, but I also think that there are kind people here who will accept your lifestyle.

Now if the question was: which is a better place to live, Greenville or Tampa? I would choose Tampa, hands down. From an economic standpoint, it is cheaper to live in Florida (no state taxes), the wages are better (my husband is a mechanic and took a $7 per hour pay cut to move here), and the people in Florida exist in a melting pot without question. Yes, you put up with hurricanes, but after living in Florida for 8 years, I would quickly move back if I had the opportunity.

Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-16-2014, 01:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,955,938 times
i think GVL is far better than Tampa. not sure about the pay being much if a difference, unless ur talking about FL not having state income tax. the ppl are also friendlier in GVL, less traffic and congestion, less road rage and crime. 4 mild seasons, while its so hot n humid down here 9 months out of the yr. too many different cultures and ppl with not much assimilation.

also i think GVL is a bit cheaper to live in too.

i honestly dont see FL or Tampa having much of an advantage over GVL is anything really.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,132,199 times
Hi Brian,

I was going to say if you are thinking liberal, Asheville for sure. As you researched though, work maybe an issue. Greenville is a nice place and being gay is acceptable. I would say stick closer to the downtown area if you could. There are gay people on the forum and they love it here. I'm sure they will chime in

The COL of living is very reasonable here, definitely less expensive than CA. I have some friends here and spoken to others who have moved from CA. They like it here and have moved because of the same reasons that you are.

We have four distinct seasons and for the most part, they are mild. I don't like the cold but it warms up most days and the sun is usually shinning for the most part. The mountains are about an hour away.

I don't know how FL got brought up but I moved from there about a year and half ago. I loved FL and still do. The only drawback is the constant heat for a good 7-8 months. It is a melting pot and to me people are more outgoing in FL. It definitely costs more to live in FL than here. I find just about everything here that I had in FL, except for the beach being so close. I love it here as well for other reasons. I love downtown, the restaurants, bars and being close to the mountains. We like to take trips to the mountains for the day or to go camping. In Greenville, there are always festivals and music events going on which I love. The scenery downtown is beautiful along with Falls Park. We have beautiful lakes near as well.

My best advice is to take a trip out here and give yourself time to research the area. Hang out in regular places you normally would on a daily basis. Talk to people to get a feel of how you like it. It really is a nice area and I think you will like it. Are you able to take a trip here?

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,955,938 times
^^^ it got up to like 80 degrees here today Becky I want COLD. At least for a little while lol!

Old 11-16-2014, 07:13 PM

45 posts, read 81,508 times
Greenville is pretty conservative, there is no getting around it. I would consider myself fairly moderate- socially conservative, but fiscally liberal (ie, my politics tend to align with the Catholic church's teachings regarding sanctity of life, social justice, etc., and I vote both Democratic and Republican). I feel like a liberal, compared to most of the people I know in Greenville. Maybe it's just my circles, but I live close to downtown, and this has been my experience. Coming from California, I think Greenville could be a shock...

Downtown is lovely, and for the most part is expanding and thriving. The cost of living is great, which is a major reason our family has decided to stay here for now. The area is family friendly, nice weather. Lots of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. People are friendly, but hard to get to know below the surface level (again, my experience- YMMV).

Have you considered Charlottesville, or the Triangle area (specifically Durham)? I've spend time in both cities visiting family and friends, and both are great. Lovely weather, mid-sized, thriving and growing downtown areas, overall more diverse than Greenville. Charlottesville is close to the mountains (and D.C.) as well. Slightly more expensive than Greenville, but probably less than California.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:51 PM

I forgot to mention, I have gay friends here and they like it with no issues. I agree with Tribe Pride about people here. "People are friendly, but hard to get to know below the surface level" We've met friends here but only a select few have invited us over for dinner or a cookout. It's hard to explain but it just takes time to meet friends here. It's frustrating at times. Many people who are from here already have there own group of friends. For some people, it's no big deal and others it is.

For some reason in FL, we met friends immediately. It wasn't uncommon to be invited to a BBQ or pool party the first time you met someone. It's just different here but with time we are making friends that we meet up with at local places. There are mostly good points here so we are willing to overlook that for now.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ it got up to like 80 degrees here today Becky I want COLD. At least for a little while lol!
It's going to get cold on Tuesday up here. I do like the seasons here

Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,883,068 times
I have to say, before moving here when I read some of the comments I was nervous about making friends. Well, after being here for several months now I can tell you it has not been at all difficult to make friends. The key is getting involved in things, and there is no shortage of opportunities to volunteer here. We also have made neighborhood friends. We do live in a neighborhood of closely clustered homes with front porches, and that helps.
As far as the gay issue, I see many gay couples when I am out and about and there is a gay married couple in my very conservative office, who is accepted very well.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 13,991 times
Thanks so much for all your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
Over the last 22 years, several large companies have moved to the Upstate, which means that there are many transplanted people here- from New York, Ohio, France, Germany, and India. These companies have recruited top talent, so the diversity you find in the neighborhoods reflects such. Within the company I work for, I see more and more diversity- in fact they offered "domestic partner benefits" back in 2006 or 2007. I think the community is consciously trying to be more culturally diverse.
That is what I have come to find out doing research on the area. Your reply was very helpful and insightful, I like the idea of people coming to a place new to them and creating a diverse environment. Sounds exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
My best advice is to take a trip out here and give yourself time to research the area. Hang out in regular places you normally would on a daily basis. Talk to people to get a feel of how you like it. It really is a nice area and I think you will like it. Are you able to take a trip here?
Thanks Becky! Your reply reached out to me for sure. Seems like we have a lot of the same interests. Greenville sound great location wise just based off what is around in such a short amount of time. . The other things you mentioned; The music, festivals and lakes - That sounds amazing!
I am able to make a trip and am looking to relocate in about a year, but I am just getting a head start on my base plan. A tad bit ambitious right?
Not sure why FL got brought up as I could probably never live there!! But I do love that it is relatively close cause one of my really good friends is down there, plus its almost like a mini-vacation in itself so that is a plus too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe Pride View Post
Coming from California, I think Greenville could be a shock...

People are friendly, but hard to get to know below the surface level

Have you considered Charlottesville, or the Triangle area (specifically Durham)?
Thanks Tribe Pride!
I have lived in a lot of other places in the US, including TX and traveled about in the world so I am a bit hard to shock at this point - definitely not trying to be cocky. . I am more worried about being blatantly treated badly because of who I am more than anything.

That is a good description for people too BTW. . We meet quite a few of them in Cali! hahah! Overall not 100% concerned with making a group of friends. Being social is great and volunteering even better!

I have glanced at the 'Triangle' area but it appears to be a little too big for our eyes. . We are really trying to get away from an abundance of people. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It's hard to explain but it just takes time to meet friends here. It's frustrating at times. Many people who are from here already have there own group of friends. For some people, it's no big deal and others it is.
Maybe we can just be friends?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I have to say, before moving here when I read some of the comments I was nervous about making friends. Well, after being here for several months now I can tell you it has not been at all difficult to make friends. The key is getting involved in things, and there is no shortage of opportunities to volunteer here. We also have made neighborhood friends. We do live in a neighborhood of closely clustered homes with front porches, and that helps.
As far as the gay issue, I see many gay couples when I am out and about and there is a gay married couple in my very conservative office, who is accepted very well.
Thanks Beth!
Maybe you can help us acquire a spot when the time comes!

Nowwww. . I am sure I will think of more things to ask, so I will be back shortly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area