Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving upstate: lake house, boating adventures, cultural events

Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,962 times

Advertisements

We're really excited about the prospect of moving to the Upstate area especially after reading some of the observations in this forum. Thing is, we happen to be folks who enjoy boating & also want to live right on a lake if we can but also want to take active part in the cultural & quality of life opportunities Greenville city, Furman, etc. seem to offer.

Our quandry right now is deciding whether to try to find a lake house close to Greenville, even on a small lake, so as to be nearby the culture we seek, & accept the 30 -40 min drive to a marina on Hartwell now & then to take out our good - sized boat. Or, should we try to live in a Hartwell lake house & drive to the city when so inclined?

We tend to lean toward the former, live near Greenville, but there seems to be a limited availability of homes, even on small lakes. Is Greenville & local really as interesting to live near as we think? One usually plans a boating adventure for most of a day on big water whereas going to a concert is often just a 2 hour affair so that also argues for living near town.

Does anyone have any ideas or opinions to share on this question? My sense is that cost is a wash but maybe I'm just not well enough informed. Perhaps from some of the responses will also come a better feel for the merits of these two dominant aspects of life in the area for we outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,918,904 times
My partner and I mix the two.

We live in the city and have a boat based at Harbor Light Marina on Lake Hartwell. We just bought our boat last summer and spent the summer heading down to Hartwell. It works out well. Live in the city....on Friday afternoon when you leave work, head down to the lake (45 minutes max), spend the weekend on the boat. There were many weekends, we would spend Friday night and SaturDAY, then shower, dress, head back to Greenville for a concert at Peace Center and dinner with friends, then back to the boat that evening for another night and a lovely Sunday. It's not a bad drive at all.

We have a fairly large boat (40 foot) and figured,why buy a house at the lake, when our boat IS the house at the lake.

My suggestion, buy in the city (Greenville is loaded with cultural events) and drive to the boat for weekends. The best of both worlds.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 PM

10 posts, read 51,293 times
it will probably largely depend on your living style - we live near lake hartwell, about a mile from River Forks Park, with view of the lake, the mountains on clear days, and 5.5 acres around the our house (which is the smallest lot on our side of the street.
It's very peaceful, gorgeous sunsets, and affordable.
Greenville is 45 minutes to the airport, downtown about the same. Anderson, is quite a bit more "small town" than Greenville, but has enough shopping things to keep you fed. For events, etc., Greenville is a must though - Anderson does not have very much to offer yet, though they are working on getting some things going, I guess (or hope?).

IMO - paying for lake property is only worth it if you a) have to have a boat at your back door every day, and b) don't mind paying triple for the property of what it would be across the street.
Then again, property prices here in Anderson are still quite affordable compared to Greenville, so if price is an issue at all, that might be something to take into consideration.

Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM

353 posts, read 1,154,100 times
I currently live in Greenville and boat on Hartwell and Keowee..... If I had it to do all
over again.... I woulda been on the water or close by. My wife and I are avid boaters.... we're always on the water.

Hence the reason were currently building a new home in Fl.... to better facilitate more boating....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area