Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM

53 posts, read 62,467 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 20s but got 2 kids with a 3rd coming soon. I fell in love with TR when I was trying to make the move. We visited a few times. Love downtown TR and the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Furman is close so it is like a college town, i guess...Paris Mountain is close. A little further from downtown than I wanted but I was ready to go there. Bad areas near TR concerned me but I came from the South Suburbs of Chicago so I figured it would be ok. Just couldn't find any houses we liked. Found our perfect house in Taylors which is about 15 min from everything. We still go eat at Cafe at Williams Hardware, visit the shops and Moonshine Distillery/Taproom in downtown TR often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,584 times
Packcov92 that sounds perfect! Thank you and everyone for your advice!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:48 PM

19 posts, read 24,088 times
Hi there - I have recently moved to Greenville with my husband (we are early 30s) and can provide some insight into our decisions since it sounds like you are looking for the same things as we were. My husband works from home and I work downtown. We have 2 large dogs so the yard was also important to us. Proximity to downtown as well since we have no kids and like to go out fairly often.

We also bought when we moved since the rental prices didn't make sense for what you get (with dogs it is tough!) Based on some feedback from coworkers we targeted the Nicholtown area, specifically the pocket called Eastover. There are many homes there in your price range and the area is currently undergoing a lot of renovation with investors buying up old properties and turning them over. A lot of times you can even with with the investors to build a house to your specs & that was the route we were going to go had we not found a place.

The neighborhood itself is within a few blocks of Cleveland Park & the Swamp Rabbit trail - the trail runs all the way up to Travelers Rest and runs through downtown Greenville. A commute via car to TR would be about 20ish minutes but if you are bikers then you can even bike the trail. Personally, I walk the trail home from downtown every day - takes about 40ish minutes but its a good way to decompress after work and get a workout in. You could bike the trail to downtown from the neighborhood in 15 or so minutes so it is great for getting into downtown when there are festivals/events going on. Plus - the park is a great place to walk the dogs!

We have many young couples buying in the neighborhood. I wouldn't consider it 100% safe given it is in the midst of a revitalization, but I have had many people comment that in just 2 years its come a long way and the growth and turnover to the neighborhood is expected to continue. We have had no issues with walking at night, having dogs or just in general. In a few weeks we have met almost every person on our block and they are all awesome!

Parts of the area are much further along in the revitalization & so my suggestion is to look in the area between Washington Street & Ackely Road and Laurens Rd & Lakehurst.

Feel free to send me a direct message if you'd like more information. I looked into neighborhoods for months and am so happy we landed where we did. Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM

411 posts, read 853,742 times
You guys sound like me and my hubby. Well at least me...my hubby just goes where I say we should. LOL.

TR is really happening these days. Lots of new places to eat and growing beer culture in their downtown. As mentioned, they have a nice farmers market during the growing season. I've been keeping an eye on the place myself since I'm an avid runner and they have the Swamp Rabbit Trail.

Another option would be Greer. It's less than 30 minutes to TR if you take the backroads. You would enjoy living near downtown. There are a lot of restaurants and shops, and a full slate of events. You would be close to the Earthfare on Pelham...maybe 15 minutes? Trader Joe's and Whole Foods would be an easy 15 minutes as well if you're not going during peak traffic hours. We live in a small historic neighborhood with sidewalks, three blocks from downtown. You might be a little hard pressed to find something in that price range ready to go, but if you're willing to do a little updating, there are several houses available right now in the $120 range. Here is one of the listings. You'll not go further west than Pine Street (where the house is). Head east toward North Main Street/Highway 14 on the map. I will say that Pine Street does not have a sidewalk (for some crazy reason), but the rest of the neighborhood does.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...80-37767?row=1

Definitely not Mauldin or Simpsonville. The traffic is a nightmare. Taylors is OK, but it's sprawl city for the most part. The old part of Taylors is repositioning itself for some good things. I'm keeping my eye on that as well.

Good luck and welcome to the area!

Last edited by oldhousejunkie; 04-15-2015 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 02:47 AM

8 posts, read 11,696 times
Helpful info here! I am learning a lot. Like LoveSC86, I am moving to the GVL area this summer--with my husband, HS-age son, and small dog (we have a daughter in college in AR). We're moving from rural Germany, where we have lived for 6 years. We own a house here and can't sell it for a few more years for tax reasons. This move is a leap of faith for us, as my husband is leaving a secure job that pays well. He will probably work part-time somewhere and work on getting his real estate license, and I will do some work from home. Eventually I hope to open a brick and mortar home goods shop with a focus on vintage European items and new handmade (local) items. We think DT TR might be a good place for this.

My husband visited GVL this week and fell in love with TR. He hated the traffic in GVL-proper and thinks we'd like the slower pace and community feel of TR. Hopefully we can buy there in a year or two, but we will need to rent for now. The problem is finding a place! We need a 3/2 with a bare minimum of 1300 sq.ft., pet-friendly, max. $1400/mo., and with a bit of space for gardening and maybe some chickens. We love older homes but are open to new--we just really don't like a lot of carpet and vinyl flooring, that kind of thing. I love to cook and need a decent kitchen.

I guess I will keep checking craigslist and Zillow for possibilities. My husband looked at some places this week with an agent who has been helping us, but nothing worked out. Now we have to try to work on this from afar again--not fun!

Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 AM

156 posts, read 227,307 times
Check out the areas off of Roe Ford Rd and near Furman. They have Greenville addresses but are just a 5 min drive to TR and a 20-30 min drive to downtown depending on time of day. Furman is a great spot to walk the dog and both areas are also very close to the Swamp Rabbit trail.

Mauldin is a haul to TR. i think it would be too far.

For any area you consider, I recommend you do the commute to TR during rush hour as travel times can vary greatly with traffic.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:38 AM

183 posts, read 303,380 times
North Main would be ideal for you but $150,000 might be harder to pull off.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:25 AM

123 posts, read 241,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
North Main would be ideal for you but $150,000 might be harder to pull off.
Yes $150,000 might get an infill lot of 1/10th of an acre in North Main, with no house on it!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:34 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,219,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hausfrau1 View Post
Helpful info here! I am learning a lot. Like LoveSC86, I am moving to the GVL area this summer--with my husband, HS-age son, and small dog (we have a daughter in college in AR). We're moving from rural Germany, where we have lived for 6 years. We own a house here and can't sell it for a few more years for tax reasons. This move is a leap of faith for us, as my husband is leaving a secure job that pays well. He will probably work part-time somewhere and work on getting his real estate license, and I will do some work from home. Eventually I hope to open a brick and mortar home goods shop with a focus on vintage European items and new handmade (local) items. We think DT TR might be a good place for this.

My husband visited GVL this week and fell in love with TR. He hated the traffic in GVL-proper and thinks we'd like the slower pace and community feel of TR. Hopefully we can buy there in a year or two, but we will need to rent for now. The problem is finding a place! We need a 3/2 with a bare minimum of 1300 sq.ft., pet-friendly, max. $1400/mo., and with a bit of space for gardening and maybe some chickens. We love older homes but are open to new--we just really don't like a lot of carpet and vinyl flooring, that kind of thing. I love to cook and need a decent kitchen.

I guess I will keep checking craigslist and Zillow for possibilities. My husband looked at some places this week with an agent who has been helping us, but nothing worked out. Now we have to try to work on this from afar again--not fun!
You should check this place out, next time in town: Hans Franz Biergarten German Restaurant Greenville SC, German Restaurants Greenville SC, German beers Greenville SC, Authentic German cuisine Upstate SC, 864-627-8263

Old 04-20-2015, 05:04 AM

8 posts, read 11,696 times
Default German restaurant

We definitely will check it out, L0ve--thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area