Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 04:02 AM

604 posts, read 583,919 times

Advertisements

I'll have to try the Paris Mountain location ( I can see it from our house), but have been 100% from the NC location. It's funny; I used to rarely get WLOS, then with added equipment and tweaking, it improved to maybe 60%. Then, maybe a year ago, it started coming in very reliably, with no equipment changes. I just figured that they cleaned the bird crap off of the transmitter or something. I'm not line-of-site with the NC location, and get my best reception not pointed in that direction, but some 60 degrees off of it. I assume I'm getting a reflected signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 04:04 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times
Based upon FCC coverage maps, the WLOS-31 translator does not yet appear to be full power. It is supposed to cover all of Greenville County, including Mauldin and Simpsonville, Greer and Travelers Rest. Extending to parts of Spartanburg and down to Anderson County. Their full licensed power is 25kw, which is strong for a translator. Hopefully it is still a work in progress and they will soon have a stronger signal.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:22 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Based upon FCC coverage maps, the WLOS-31 translator does not yet appear to be full power. It is supposed to cover all of Greenville County, including Mauldin and Simpsonville, Greer and Travelers Rest. Extending to parts of Spartanburg and down to Anderson County. Their full licensed power is 25kw, which is strong for a translator. Hopefully it is still a work in progress and they will soon have a stronger signal.
Where do you look that up? My antennae is in a very unappealing spot but I get all channels with it there. Would like to keep an eye on it.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Correction: And this may explain the problem. Their licensed power for 31-WLOS translator is 0.25kw, not 25kw. I missed the zero when I read the info. So that makes it much lower power.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Where do you look that up? My antennae is in a very unappealing spot but I get all channels with it there. Would like to keep an eye on it.
FCC website or RabbitEars.Info .

Old 01-30-2017, 07:35 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,081 times
I get nothing in easley. I did find 3 new channels though when looking, lol

Old 01-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Unfortunately it appears the long awaited WLOS translator on Paris Mountain is too low power to be of much benefit. They need to increase power, but that would be dictated by the FCC.

Old 12-10-2017, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 3,795 times
Tyler, if you're still following your thread, I am having the same dilemma in Taylors trying to receive 13. Last year I was able to get it sometime at night during winter when the trees were bare. So far this year, I have not been able to get it at all. I was told to try an fm trap and I was wondering if you tried it and did it help any? I have a large antenna (HD8200u) mounted on the chimney about 30 ft high but am surrounded by trees. I have it pointed at the Pisgah tower, 324 degrees from my location. I also have a DB8 not in use. Wonder if it would be any better?

Old 12-10-2017, 07:51 PM

Yes I suggest an FM trap. It is necessary to prevent interference on 13. Place it before a preamp. It can be ordered from Antennas Direct. As for the DB8, I would point it towards Charlotte and get additional channels such as WBTV and add a preamp such as Winegard LNA200 from Home Depot.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,795 times
I ordered the FM trap. Last night, while still trying to figure why 13 was so elusive, not even getting any kind of signal, I started playing with the antenna. In the past, I always got decent results pointing the antenna at around 318 degrees. I decided to leave the tuner set to 13 and do a full scan to see if I could at least get a blip. While turning it counter clockwise I didn't see any sign of a signal but, when it was almost full north, I suddenly got a huge spike. I got the best signal at 4 degrees. That's 40 degrees off from 324 which is supposed to be the tower location in Asheville. It is very strong, plus I still get all my other channels plus channel 17 unctv. Needless to say I am thrilled, but wondering why the direction is way off. Channel 16 is about a mile away, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area