Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 AM

57 posts, read 94,575 times

Advertisements

I'm finding that most churches around here who use King James Version (KJV) are Independent Fundamental Baptist. But I would have to believe that there are churches in the greater Greenville area who use KJV.

I prefer Baptist (just not Independent Fundamental Baptist). Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:08 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,982 times
Good luck there. I grew up IFB and to be honest have never seen a non-IFB church that used KJV only. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2015, 03:30 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Rock Springs?

Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 PM

10 posts, read 9,838 times
Some SBC Churches use the KJV during Sunday Morning preaching but allow other Bible versions for other church functions. I would say that is the closest you will get to KJV only that is not IFB. It's simply the denominational differences of theology.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:33 AM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
I think guru03 is right about most SBC churches using KJV for worship.

My question: is KJV a preference, or do you subscribe to the KJV-only/all-other-translations-are-evil belief?

Old 07-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameAlreadyTaken View Post
I think guru03 is right about most SBC churches using KJV for worship.

My question: is KJV a preference, or do you subscribe to the KJV-only/all-other-translations-are-evil belief?
Thanks UsernameAlreadyTaken. Ha ha, no... I don't subscribe to 'all-other-translations-are-evil' belief. As a young boy, I grew up reading, listening to, memorizing verses from KJV. For me, the words are extremely powerful when coming from KJV. Not sure exactly what it is or how to explain it, but it stirs me when I read or hear from KJV.

I do, however, think it sounds watered down or lacks the same intensity when read from some other versions. Plus many things are missing from other versions that are found in KJV. Evil, no. Different to me...yes. Plus, its a pain to go to a non-KJV church and have to translate what is being read to me to what I see in the KJV. I also want good continuity for my children. If they are memorizing verses from KJV at home, I would like the same while they are in Sunday School.

Also, usually the KJV churches also tend to sing hymns instead of contemporary music. I love hymns! KJV and Hymns are an awesome combination at church.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

The lack of a diverse KJV congregation is another troubling issue. You either have to choose the 99% white church or the 99% black church.

A semi- integrated Independent Fundamental Baptist church, with KJV Bible and singing old time hymns would be perfect! IDK...maybe I'm asking for too much.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:05 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,982 times
semi-integrated and IFB don't really go hand in hand unfortunately...

You can always call Bob Jones University and ask for their welcome/info center. They typically carry a good list of local churches (both KJV and non).

Our church (Heritage Bible) went from KJV to ESV about 8-9 years ago and it's been great. We still have a lot of KJV people and even some speakers but it's never been an issue.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the tip in calling BJU.

I think you may be correct about the semi-integrated KJV church. It's a shame. So, just like a lot of things in life, I need to determine my smaller wants that can be sacrificed in order to find a good church home for us. KJV is a must, good children's church/sunday school and hymn singing are tied for second.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:47 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,923 times
What about church of Christ? My understanding, though each congregation is autonomous, is that KJV is used. Most sing the more traditional hymns acapella, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area