Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 PM

103 posts, read 128,902 times

Advertisements

My company has a growing stash of old computers, phones, and other miscellaneous electronics that need to be disposed of. Does anyone know where we go in Greenville to recycle this stuff, since it can't go to the landfill?

Only thing I've found online is for Greenville County residential disposal, not for businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 01:47 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
We dropped off a printer at the Staples on McBee in the Publix complex.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
That is an interesting question - possibly Goodwill on Haywood Rd will take the computers; check with them. The general E-Waste might need to go to the Twin Chimneys Landfill, although the description states that it's mostly for disassembled E-waste.

As you've noticed, most dropoff points are limited to 1-2 items per day and are intended for consumers.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:30 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
As was mentioned some office/electronic suppliers such as Staples and Best Buy take older electronics but not sure if that's just for residential or commercial or limited daily quantity type thing or not. Goodwill may be an option as well Goodwill | Donate Computers, Laptops & Electronics | Recycle

Your company's IT company or IT employees may know of places.

There are a few commercial electronic recycling companies here in the area. I have no experience with any but a quick google search popped up: Electronic Asset Recycling Electronic Asset Recycling | Legal Electronic Recycling, Clean Lites Cleanlites Recycling, EWaste Recycling, Ballast Lamp Recycling - Cleanlites Recycling, PC Disposal Computer Recycling and Disposal in South Carolina, I'm sure there's a few more and likely others in Charlotte as well that may offer services down the i85 corridor.

You could also see if any fetch a few dollars on eBay...you can just sell as "used" or "for parts or repair" and remove the hard drives. Sold two of my companies old laptops that way earlier this year.

You can post an ad on craigs list and may get a few bucks as well.

Always be sure to remove and/or destroy the hard drives. Some of the commercial companies mentioned above offer hard drive shredding services but a good sludge hammer out in the parking lot can do just as well!

Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
http://greenville.1thingus.com/its-y...ss-to-recycle/

Recycling Computer Equipment

Please call local companies such as: EPSI 864-847-7700, Clean Lites 864-503-9900, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, or Dell Computer Recycling and the Cristina Foundation.
Contact the Goodwill Computer Store in Simpsonville for refurbishing and recycling options. Goodwill computer drop-off locations can also be found at the Blackberry Valley, O’Neal, Piedmont and Enoree County-run convenience centers. To contact the County Solid Waste Division, please call 864-297-8558.
Donation: Some public schools, churches, and non-profit organizations accept some used computer equipment for reuse. You will need to call to confirm prior to delivery. For more information on electronics recycling:Radio Shack Electronics Trade In and Recycling Program
Target Electronics Trade In and Recycling Program
Walmart Electronics Trade In and Recycling Program

Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 PM

16 posts, read 24,970 times
Spartanburg County Landfill has a building where you can drop off old used computers and electronics. 595 Little Mountain Rd, Wellford, SC 29385

Old 12-31-2015, 01:21 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfootbuilt View Post
Spartanburg County Landfill has a building where you can drop off old used computers and electronics. 595 Little Mountain Rd, Wellford, SC 29385
Landfills will only accept 'residential'. Pretty sure they would turn you away if you showed up with an obvious commercial load.

I'm not positive on this, but.. I would certainly check before going out there with a load.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:47 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,792 times
May I ask how old are these computers and such?

Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 AM

103 posts, read 128,902 times
Thanks for the input, everyone. I called Greenville County and they take this at Twin Chimneys landfill. For businesses it's $400/ton or $0.20/lb, which may be the best option for us.

As for how old the stuff is. We have several Dell desktops that are about 8 years old. Not sure whether I'll trash those or try to resell. Everything else is a mix of stuff - broken phones/keyboards, old desktop calculators, broken PC power supplies, etc.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:20 AM

690 posts, read 1,145,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esd087 View Post
Thanks for the input, everyone. I called Greenville County and they take this at Twin Chimneys landfill. For businesses it's $400/ton or $0.20/lb, which may be the best option for us.

As for how old the stuff is. We have several Dell desktops that are about 8 years old. Not sure whether I'll trash those or try to resell. Everything else is a mix of stuff - broken phones/keyboards, old desktop calculators, broken PC power supplies, etc.
Ah cool! I used to refurb old PC's and such to give back out to needy folks/families and am looking at maybe doing that again. If the desktops are in decent shape I might be able to salvage some to build something out if you're interested in going that route.

I'm not a non-profit or anything so can't give you any tax writeoff. Just a IT guy that likes to do this on the side for others.

~V
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area