Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,649,454 times

Advertisements

Good morning all.

Our youngest finally made the college choice. Savannah College of Art and Design it is! Now we decided it's time to go from Cold and snowy(although we've not seen but a couple of inches this year) Upstate NY. My parents were native to NC/VA and all my family are there. My older two children(in there early, late 20's) are living in FL. So we decided to make a happy medium and pick two places to look at. Fountain Inn was recommended by a friend that's lived there for 30 years. Being in our early 50's, we also will be looking for work in the area, we can looking to commute no more than 45 mins for a job. We won't move until we have work lined up, that's a no-no.

I believe there are a number of school districts nearby. I am a school bus dispatcher. I do have my CDL B with PS endorsements so I can still drive. I prefer the office work now as I've been doing that end for almost 5 years. Hubby was a Ready mix Concrete dispatcher. He did a four year stint as a transfill tech for durable medical goods company filling oxygen tanks with liquid oxygen and maintaining the transfill system. He's going to be a tad harder to find something. He does know construction-although I think at almost 52, swinging a hammer all day might be more than he's able to as he was a supervisor for too long and ran sales for the concrete plant. He also was a weighmaster there at the quarry he worked for. He's got skills that will transfer to different things, but not really sure where to target in the area.

We are going to down size at least bedrooms. A nice area, could be within town for walking since we live in a small upstate village now where we can walk to stores. Not really into HOA's, but they have their upside for when we are older. Can you tell me about Fountain Inn? My friend gushes about it and loves it. But she's rather biased after all these years. Are there stores in town-doesn't mean big box stuff. At least a grocery store, post office that type of place. Also looking recommendations for doctor, veterinarian, pharmacy to look at when we come down to start looking around.

We mostly do outdoorsy stuff. Hubby hunts and fishes and we do have a travel trailer we go away camping quite a bit with.

Since we narrowed it down to here and a two other places-Augusta, GA area, I need as much information as I can. We are targeting after this fall. That'll give us time to pack up, get daughter to school and get the house sold here. We haven't decided if we should buy a resale or build again. Lots to consider in coming months.

So I know people have seen me around asking questions, it's because the more informed we are, the better we know when we come down for trips before hand to get a look see and figure if it fits us too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 09:18 AM

5,688 posts, read 5,932,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Good morning all.

Our youngest finally made the college choice. Savannah College of Art and Design it is! Now we decided it's time to go from Cold and snowy(although we've not seen but a couple of inches this year) Upstate NY. My parents were native to NC/VA and all my family are there. My older two children(in there early, late 20's) are living in FL. So we decided to make a happy medium and pick two places to look at. Fountain Inn was recommended by a friend that's lived there for 30 years. Being in our early 50's, we also will be looking for work in the area, we can looking to commute no more than 45 mins for a job. We won't move until we have work lined up, that's a no-no.

I believe there are a number of school districts nearby. I am a school bus dispatcher. I do have my CDL B with PS endorsements so I can still drive. I prefer the office work now as I've been doing that end for almost 5 years. Hubby was a Ready mix Concrete dispatcher. He did a four year stint as a transfill tech for durable medical goods company filling oxygen tanks with liquid oxygen and maintaining the transfill system. He's going to be a tad harder to find something. He does know construction-although I think at almost 52, swinging a hammer all day might be more than he's able to as he was a supervisor for too long and ran sales for the concrete plant. He also was a weighmaster there at the quarry he worked for. He's got skills that will transfer to different things, but not really sure where to target in the area.

No, Ft Inn is in Greenville County, and is one district. You could get a drivers job pretty easily. Laurens 55 is the next district. When I drove, we didn't have a dispatcher, just a route. There are actually 2 concrete companies really close. Thomas in is Ft Inn, and I cant recall the other in Mauldin.

We are going to down size at least bedrooms. A nice area, could be within town for walking since we live in a small upstate village now where we can walk to stores. Not really into HOA's, but they have their upside for when we are older. Can you tell me about Fountain Inn? My friend gushes about it and loves it. But she's rather biased after all these years. Are there stores in town-doesn't mean big box stuff. At least a grocery store, post office that type of place. Also looking recommendations for doctor, veterinarian, pharmacy to look at when we come down to start looking around.

Grocery stores are abundant outside of Ft Inn. Bilo is just outside town. Simpsonville has your choice pretty much! I drive thorugh Ft Inn every day, work in Ft Inn, and I can say many stored don't last more than a couple of years, unless they have been established for years and "handed down". There is a Vet just outside town, Doctors I cant and wont recommend, I am search for a new one myself as all seem to be tied to GMH system now. CVS is in town.

We mostly do outdoorsy stuff. Hubby hunts and fishes and we do have a travel trailer we go away camping quite a bit with.

Since we narrowed it down to here and a two other places-Augusta, GA area, I need as much information as I can. We are targeting after this fall. That'll give us time to pack up, get daughter to school and get the house sold here. We haven't decided if we should buy a resale or build again. Lots to consider in coming months.

So I know people have seen me around asking questions, it's because the more informed we are, the better we know when we come down for trips before hand to get a look see and figure if it fits us too.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:08 AM

21,031 posts, read 27,354,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
No, Ft Inn is in Greenville County, and is one district.
The City of Fountain Inn is in Greenville and Laurens counties.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The City of Fountain Inn is in Greenville and Laurens counties.
School district is Greenville County.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,883,068 times
Fountain Inn is a lovely small town, with a cute downtown as well as proximity to Simpsonville where most of the shopping is.
There is a nice park, Cedar Falls Park, which has walking trails and a lovely falls. An extension of the Swamp Rabbit Trail is coming that way as well. If you are into the arts there is the Younts Center Welcome to the Younts Center | Younts Center for Performing Arts - Fountain Inn SC. You will be an easy driving distance to Columbia for othe culture offerings as well as Sumter State Park. The location of Fountain Inn close to I-385 makes getter everywhere pretty easy.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:49 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,436,879 times
I like an established neighborhood that is near Fountain Inn right off the Main Street between Fountain Inn and Simpsonville. It is called Quail Run.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I like an established neighborhood that is near Fountain Inn right off the Main Street between Fountain Inn and Simpsonville. It is called Quail Run.
We were "this close" to buying a house in Quail Run until my father passed away.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 AM

143 posts, read 218,786 times
Fountain Inn is where I live. We have been here over 10 years. We came from Simpsonville and wish we had not made the move. The good news is that the Good Ole Boy government here seems to be taken over by more sensible types.
There are no groceries stores you could walk to and bring your groceries home. BiLo is it. We usually drive past it to go to Publix in Simpsonville.
There are several new restaurants in town and some are quite good. Favorite new place in town is a craft beer store called Growler Haus. Great Tacos and Nachos.
The Younts Center does provide some nice entertainment and the library is right next door.
The Farmer's Market and Friday night music is pleasant.
There is a new development that is being built just as you come in to town, The Village At Fountain Inn, New Homes for sale at Villages At Fountain Inn in Fountain Inn, SC
Choose wisely.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 9,688 times
I live in Fountain Inn and have so for the last 7 years. Great community on the south side of Greenville County. As mentioned the city itself can be in Greenville or Laurens county depending on where you are. You want to be in Greenville County for the schools. The area has grown a lot and continues to do so. As mentioned there is a BiLo in town and just on the otherside of 385 is BiLo/Publix/Target/Walmart/Ingles to choose from. Some nice new restaurants in downtown FI that are fun to walk to and the shops. Easy access to the interstate. We love living in the area as we also enjoy the outdoors. The nice thing here is we are an hour from the mountains and Asheville area, 2.5-3hrs from Charleston area and the beach and lots of lakes and protected woodlands around. You would not regret the move here.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoutdoors View Post
As mentioned the city itself can be in Greenville or Laurens county depending on where you are. You want to be in Greenville County for the schools.
If you live in the city limits, no matter what county the limits are in, you go to GVL county schools. The school district for Greenville county goes way into Laurens county.

For reference: https://public.greenville.k12.sc.us/GeoAddress.aspx

This map shows the reps for each area, but also show where the school district ends in Laurens County, as well as part of whats in Spartanburg County.

http://www.gcgis.org/website/Docs/school11x17.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area