Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 05:09 PM

28 posts, read 40,078 times

Advertisements

Hope this finds you all well. We are going to Greenville next month. Our trip is about ten days and we are contemplating if we should just stay at a place in Greenville the whole time, or perhaps leave for a couple days either in Charlotte or Ashville. I am not sure there enough in Greenville to keep us busy for ten days and it may be nice to see the surrounding area. I guess we could do day trips. Any advice or should see's would be greatly appreciated. BTW I am loving the community on this site while is great because we are seriously thinking about moving to Greenville
thanks so much Maureen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 05:28 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Hi Maureen, one of the great things about living in Greenville is that, while there is a lot to do here, you are also close to places like Asheville, Charlotte, and Atlanta. Also, if you like natural beauty there are so many places to go nearby- many parks with waterfalls, lakes, gorgeous mountain scenery. So yes, I would say if you have 10 days definitely explore some places outside of Greenville.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times
I second BRBeth's comment. Greenville is a great place to live but if you have 10 straight days in a row, you indeed may run out of things to see. We have lots of things to see and do, but they tend to be spread out throughout the year.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:39 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Greenville is terrible don't move there.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
We go to Asheville a lot. They have an incredible number of great restaurants, and a hoppin' music scene.

Planning a day trip up there right now: mountains, great food, fun people. Hard to beat.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:41 AM

632 posts, read 748,984 times
Maureen
Yesterday, my wife and I were out wandering about and found ourselves in Abbeyville SC,. It's been 25 years since we had any reason to visit this quiet little town and we were completely blown away by it's colorful picturesque charms. It's a small place, a bit off the beaten path, so you seldom see it even mentioned on C-D. It has a large number marvelous old southern homes and the town square is simply beautiful. The Trinity church, just off the square, is seriously photogenic, inside and out... not to mention being quite a serene place to stop in for a moment's reflection, while resting weary bones. Abbeyville will be celebrating their annual Spring Festival the first week in May.

Photo Gallery | City of Abbeville, South Carolina

Old 04-10-2016, 01:44 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
All of the places mentioned are great ideas. You may want to venture out and go to Gatlinbutg, TN. It's a fun place and there is plenty to do. If you want to stay somewhere near that is less expensive, you could stay in Ptgeon Forge, TN. Chimney Rock is another fun place as a day trip. They have a cute downtown and you could grab lunch there. I would stay in different areas for a couple days here and couple days there.

Have fun!

Old 04-11-2016, 06:34 AM

103 posts, read 129,333 times
Maureen, a few things come to mind:
- Blue ridge parkway, about 1.5 hours away. Cruise the parkway & see the overlooks, stop for a meal at the Pisgah Inn, etc. If you're into hiking there are plenty of places for that, but I recommend Black Balsam Knob (on top of the hills, incredible views) or Graveyard Fields (valley with several waterfalls), both easy hikes and right off the parkway.
- Charleston. A lot of driving for one day (~3 hours each way) but so much to see, do, and eat
- If you have kids, or even if not, Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia. I would't recommend Columbia itself to anyone, but Riverbanks is the best zoo in the state. Greenville is awesome, but our zoo is terrible.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,927 times
Check out some of the local lake and river parks aside from Falls Park.

Parks Archive - Greenville Rec

There are also a number of historic sites you could visit. The first that comes to mind is Star Fort in Ninety Six, which you can visit on your way to or from Abbeville.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 AM

150 posts, read 217,660 times
Not sure if you like outdoorsy stuff, but there are many terrific state parks close to GVL, among them Ceasar's Head and Table Rock; Paris Mt State Park is just a couple of miles from downtown GVL. Good hiking at all and wonderful views from both Ceasar's and Table Rock.

Def go to Asheville for an overnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area