Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 04:15 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times

Advertisements

I get topsoil in bags from home depot but I find all these sticks, wood chips, rocks, bark, and clumps of stuff that doesn't look like dirt. Maybe ashes?

Is there a good place to get good rich, black topsoil in Greenville other than the big box home stores?

Our clay soil here is not very good for growing a garden, I don't think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times
I usually get manure, but I have seen some really rich looking organic compost in Wellford at a garden center. It's just a bit too expensive for me. I'm happy with the manure I get in Greer. You are correct, the clay rocky soil sucks here!

Old 04-16-2016, 08:43 PM

Ok maybe I will check into some of the compost. Maybe buy a bag and see how it looks. I did get some manure and mixed it about 60 /40 so maybe things will come up okay. Thanks for the tips, Eldemila. I might check with some local garden centers instead.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Ok maybe I will check into some of the compost. Maybe buy a bag and see how it looks. I did get some manure and mixed it about 60 /40 so maybe things will come up okay. Thanks for the tips, Eldemila. I might check with some local garden centers instead.
Better if you don't buy it by the bag, then you get to see what you are getting. The good "poop" is usually sold by the scoop. Thankfully I'm able to borrow a pick up truck when needed. I just got 2 scoops of poop yesterday. Was like black gold! Today was alpaca poop. I'm so pooped out!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,842,664 times
I'm not exactly sure about your standard of "real" topsoil, but I get my soil, mulch, and stone from Southern Mulch, off of Roper Mountain Rd.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:36 AM

723 posts, read 1,149,191 times
Someone recently posted in another thread that he gets dirt and manure from the Happy Cow Creamery in Pelzer. I like Tom Trantham's farming methods, and I would expect the byproducts of his operations to be of the highest quality.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I'm so pooped out!

LOL. You're funny. I ought to try this. Problem #1 is that I don't have a pick-up truck, so I might be stuck with bags until then. The Black Kow manure I got in the bag at Home Depot seemed like authentic poop. It sure smelled like it. (Holds nose).

Old 04-17-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
LOL. You're funny. I ought to try this. Problem #1 is that I don't have a pick-up truck, so I might be stuck with bags until then. The Black Kow manure I got in the bag at Home Depot seemed like authentic poop. It sure smelled like it. (Holds nose).

Do what I do...borrow someone's truck! Black Kow shouldn't smell. Actually any aged compost really shouldn't smell. I can stand next to a huge pile of manure, then on top of it as I'm shoveling it and no smell. Trust me, if it did smell (as some alpaca poo did one time) I won't use it. Okay, I used the alpaca poo months later.

P/M if you want for the compost they have in Wellford. I know they, and many other places will deliver. Guess it all depends on how much you want, where you're located and how much you want to spend.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,120 times
I highly recommend Mushroom Compost from Lowes. It is ultra rich, black soil and plants absolutely thrive in it. I have been using it for over 2 years now and will never switch off to anything else. I can't recommend it enough.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:16 AM

Thank you all for these excellent ideas! My gardening ambitions are unlimited at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area