Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM

44 posts, read 51,409 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the inputs. We did want something around 3000 sq. ft. and it seems Falls at Meehan and Patrick Square don't have that. It does appear that north Anderson would be the best. During my visit, I really liked the Brookstone Meadows area, and that's designated as Spearmann Elementary and Wren Middle and High Schools, which all have good ratings. I noticed that DR Horton used to build there, but now it's just lots of sale. I'll have to find out what is going on. There are a couple of Meritage communities in the area that look good. Not sure how Legendary was regarded, but Meritage is among the better ones in Arizona.

There is a small chance that my spouse may end up working in Greenville, in which case we'd probably still have to consider Five Forks. As I mentioned previously, we'll be renting in the Verdae area initially - that's like a 45 min commute. Things will be clearer in the first 3-4 months of being there, which is the timelines we've set to decide on buying. Do you think Verdae area would also be a horrible commute, even if it's for a short term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 01:20 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,493 times
Five Forks is at the other end of Woodruff road and I would not live there even to commute into Greenville. Traffic on Woodruff road is horrendous. Even to get to Butler or Bridges road and take 385 and connector to 85 and then drive to Clemson will leave you exhausted.

The importance of schools in Greenville is over rated. Most are average, with some a bit better and others worse. I have never heard of the schools in Five Forks being that outstanding compared to others. What schools are you looking for - high, middle or elementary.

If you do decide to live in Five Forks at all costs, rent for 6 months before buying. A month of commuting and not seeing children till late in night might change your mind soon.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Clemson to Verdae commute wouldn't be that stressful, there aren't many stop lights on Clemson Blvd (highway 76) and it is a 4 lane road out to I-85 and 85 flows pretty good into Greenville. You can get off at the Laurens road exit rather than Woodruff road to get onto Verdae Blvd.

But that that is 80 mile round trip every work day. For me, one of the benefits of living in SC is small commute time. Verdae is a nice neighborhood but I would probably try to live at north Anderson if not CLemson or Seneca, and see how it goes.. You'll be near 85 if you want to go out to eat or shopping in Greenville after work or on the weekend.

There is a new YMCA about to open near those Wren schools. Looks like a nice facility.

Here are a few newish neighborhoods with larger homes in north Anderson near Brookstone Meadows that I like:

Kings Grant (Homestead Road), McPhail Farms (McPhail Farms Circle), Brittany Park (road with same name), Weatherstone (Weatherstone Way), Harpers Ridge (Harpers Way), Oakmont (Oakmont Drive), The Meadows (Dandelion Trail).

Here is a link to a map of anderson with all the main neighborhoods flagged. http://www.callelizabeth.com/Neighborhoods/index.php

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-31-2016 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Clemson to Verdae commute wouldn't be that stressful, there aren't many stop lights on Clemson Blvd (highway 76) and it is a 4 lane road out to I-85 and 85 flows pretty good into Greenville. You can get off at the Laurens road exit rather than Woodruff road to get onto Verdae Blvd.

But that that is 80 mile round trip every work day. For me, one of the benefits of living in SC is small commute time. Verdae is a nice neighborhood but I would probably try to live at north Anderson if not CLemson or Seneca, and see how it goes.. You'll be near 85 if you want to go out to eat or shopping in Greenville after work or on the weekend.

There is a new YMCA about to open near those Wren schools. Looks like a nice facility.

Here are a few newish neighborhoods with larger homes in north Anderson near Brookstone Meadows that I like:

Kings Grant (Homestead Road), McPhail Farms (McPhail Farms Circle), Brittany Park (road with same name), Weatherstone (Weatherstone Way), Harpers Ridge (Harpers Way), Oakmont (Oakmont Drive), The Meadows (Dandelion Trail).

Here is a link to a map of anderson with all the main neighborhoods flagged. Anderson County Neighborhoods
Thanks for the link - it is very useful. We figured that renting in Verdae will allow two things: 1) get an idea of the commute (if we do end up buying in the Greenville area), and 2) provide a slow transition from Phoenix in terms of lifestyle if we live close to Clemson (most likely in north Anderson it seems).

Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
If one spouse is going to work at Clemson and the other in Greenville, the North Anderson or Powdersville areas have good schools and give a reasonable (30 minutes or less) commute for both. In your situation, I'd look at both of those areas to see which is a better fit. North Anderson is going to be zoned for either TL Hanna or Wren High depending on where you are (both are good). Powdersville is going to be zoned for Powdersville or Wren High (both are good) depending on where you are.

The Verdae area is going to be 45 minutes and 35 miles each way to Clemson. That might be okay for you but I would hate that after a while.

Horton is generally regarded as okay but not great. Legendary has a better reputation in the area but I've still seen some complaints. You will probably get the best quality from a local semi-custom builder but you will pay more.

Brookstone Meadows is a golf community - is that something you are looking for? I don't play golf and after our last home in a golf community, it is now something I avoid.....

Old 06-01-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If one spouse is going to work at Clemson and the other in Greenville, the North Anderson or Powdersville areas have good schools and give a reasonable (30 minutes or less) commute for both. In your situation, I'd look at both of those areas to see which is a better fit. North Anderson is going to be zoned for either TL Hanna or Wren High depending on where you are (both are good). Powdersville is going to be zoned for Powdersville or Wren High (both are good) depending on where you are.

The Verdae area is going to be 45 minutes and 35 miles each way to Clemson. That might be okay for you but I would hate that after a while.

Horton is generally regarded as okay but not great. Legendary has a better reputation in the area but I've still seen some complaints. You will probably get the best quality from a local semi-custom builder but you will pay more.

Brookstone Meadows is a golf community - is that something you are looking for? I don't play golf and after our last home in a golf community, it is now something I avoid.....
Don't really care for golfing, and so will likely not end up in Brookstone but maybe around there. There are a couple of Meritage/Legendary communities in the area that we liked. Have seen a few DR Horton homes here in Arizona, and not a fan. Any recommendations for semi-custon builders in the Anderson area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area