Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

Over the past year, I have gotten some on board, and a lot of off board, assistance, as we relocated to the Greenville area. I appreciate all of the help, but in spite of the assistance, I still don't have my bearing.

We left Gaston County, NC, to pursue an opportunity near Greenville.

Gaston County has many thriving older towns, which I suppose are somewhat similar to Greer's Downtown.

Most of Gaston's natives have attitudes that aren't as common nowadays; on the political Right, are constitutionalists; on the political Left, are free spirited, lighthearted, hillbilly's. Be they on the political Right or Left, most people have a "live and let live" attitude; no one gets in anyone's face. It's nice.

Gaston's residents are a largely upbeat and cheerful bunch. In many areas, Southern traditions and manners are practiced, including "Yes Sir" "No Ma'am" etc. Neighbors help one another; residents facebook strays all of the time, etc.

We've been on the Eastside of Greenville for a very short time, and today it happened: while driving my truck, blasting Skynyrd on the radio, I looked around. The Eastside is lovely, and there are a lot of friendly folks here, but the Eastside is for the sophisticated set. I don't belong here.

My Wife works near GSP, and a short commute to work is a must. We like the mountains, and if possible, we're looking to stay north of 85, and west of 26. We're renting for a short time, until we find a more permanent arrangement.

It seems as though the small (downtown) town, mountain, arrangement is reserved for NC. I have heard a million and one nice things about the Eastside of Spartanburg, but the commute would be too long for my Wife. The same issue can be said of Traveler's Rest - an otherwise great fit, whose distance from GSP makes it unsuitable for us.

I have gotten some great advice on, and off, board, but I realize that most folks only discuss areas that they're familiar with, and no one person can know the entirety of the Upstate region. I am hoping that, with the geographical breadth that this forum encompasses, someone might be able to chime in with some suggestions of areas - north of 85, west of 26, maybe with a mountain flavor, and a downtown similar to Flat Rock, etc.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Greer would fit a lot of what you are looking for.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I live in Greer and it's very much like he describes the Eastside. Of course the city of Greer is a thousand disconnected islands that all somehow got assigned to be in the Greer club so maybe that explains the difference in perception.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I live in Greer and it's very much like he describes the Eastside. Of course the city of Greer is a thousand disconnected islands that all somehow got assigned to be in the Greer club so maybe that explains the difference in perception.
Yes- I know parts of Greer are very different from the rest. I was referring to the parts of Greer that are further from Greenville. I have been in several neighborhoods up that way that have beautiful mountain views.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:51 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
I, too, was thinking Greer on the northern side — go out Gap Creek Road and look around. Also, Lyman, Duncan, Wellford areas. There are Mountain view’s in places.

Your wife could go Route 29 to J. Verne Smith Parkway and have an easy commute.

BTW, I’m on the east side of Spartanburg—in the city and yes, a pretty sophisticated, refined area—but we have a pickup (as do numerous neighbors) and frequently crank the music, though Alan Jackson & Darius Rucker are more my style. ��

Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Over the past year, I have gotten some on board, and a lot of off board, assistance, as we relocated to the Greenville area. I appreciate all of the help, but in spite of the assistance, I still don't have my bearing.

We left Gaston County, NC, to pursue an opportunity near Greenville.

Gaston County has many thriving older towns, which I suppose are somewhat similar to Greer's Downtown.

Most of Gaston's natives have attitudes that aren't as common nowadays; on the political Right, are constitutionalists; on the political Left, are free spirited, lighthearted, hillbilly's. Be they on the political Right or Left, most people have a "live and let live" attitude; no one gets in anyone's face. It's nice.

Gaston's residents are a largely upbeat and cheerful bunch. In many areas, Southern traditions and manners are practiced, including "Yes Sir" "No Ma'am" etc. Neighbors help one another; residents facebook strays all of the time, etc.

We've been on the Eastside of Greenville for a very short time, and today it happened: while driving my truck, blasting Skynyrd on the radio, I looked around. The Eastside is lovely, and there are a lot of friendly folks here, but the Eastside is for the sophisticated set. I don't belong here.

My Wife works near GSP, and a short commute to work is a must. We like the mountains, and if possible, we're looking to stay north of 85, and west of 26. We're renting for a short time, until we find a more permanent arrangement.

It seems as though the small (downtown) town, mountain, arrangement is reserved for NC. I have heard a million and one nice things about the Eastside of Spartanburg, but the commute would be too long for my Wife. The same issue can be said of Traveler's Rest - an otherwise great fit, whose distance from GSP makes it unsuitable for us.

I have gotten some great advice on, and off, board, but I realize that most folks only discuss areas that they're familiar with, and no one person can know the entirety of the Upstate region. I am hoping that, with the geographical breadth that this forum encompasses, someone might be able to chime in with some suggestions of areas - north of 85, west of 26, maybe with a mountain flavor, and a downtown similar to Flat Rock, etc.

TIA
Congrats on the move! I know you've been talking about this for a while There are different parts of Greer. Sounds like you were on the newer, more upscale side. Let me ask you this question, do you want to be in the country with mountain views or do you want to be closer to shopping, entertainment and such? Do you want to be in a neighborhood or HOA? Are you looking for newer homes or older. Price range? These answers may help guide us better to point you in the right direction Take a ride out on 101 or 14 on the north side of Wade Hampton. You can drive out to Locust Hill Rd as well. If you want to be closer to downtown Greer, look around between Arlington Rd and Poinsett St. Look on the Wade Hampton side before you cross the RR tracks in downtown Greer. You can also look along 101 heading towards the airport in Greer. As for other small towns in that vicinity, like Greer, I honestly can't think of any.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 AM

56 posts, read 77,860 times
There's a new neighborhood in Greer/Blue Ridge which may be a good fit for you: Covington. Nice views of both Blue Ridge and Paris Mountains but yet close to Greer downtown activities and GSP. It's on Jordan Road near the Albino Skunk Music Festival so you can get your music on also.

Home Builders | Covington | SK Builders & McAlister Realty

https://albinoskunk.com/

Last edited by Swande; 10-15-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Oh, you might want to add this page for events in Greer. Maybe you can get out and talk to some of the locals too. Greer is actually doing a food truck roll out this weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/CityofGreer...yizPbV_49KEXwh

https://www.facebook.com/events/462392461206065/

Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
It sounds to me like the OP needs to just draw a box from GSP east to the 85/26 interchange, then north to Landrum, west to Tigerville, and south back to GSP. In that box you have several communities like Campobello, Inman, Duncan, and Greer. There is also a lot of rural places in that box. Get out and drive around that box and see what matches what you are looking for in a location.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Thanks BRB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
BTW, I’m on the east side of Spartanburg—in the city and yes, a pretty sophisticated, refined area—but we have a pickup (as do numerous neighbors) and frequently crank the music, though Alan Jackson & Darius Rucker are more my style. ��
Thanks LL! By the way, the setting that you described sounds exactly like what I had in Gaston .

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Congrats on the move! I know you've been talking about this for a while There are different parts of Greer. Sounds like you were on the newer, more upscale side. Let me ask you this question, do you want to be in the country with mountain views or do you want to be closer to shopping, entertainment and such? Do you want to be in a neighborhood or HOA? Are you looking for newer homes or older. Price range? These answers may help guide us better to point you in the right direction Take a ride out on 101 or 14 on the north side of Wade Hampton. You can drive out to Locust Hill Rd as well. If you want to be closer to downtown Greer, look around between Arlington Rd and Poinsett St. Look on the Wade Hampton side before you cross the RR tracks in downtown Greer. You can also look along 101 heading towards the airport in Greer. As for other small towns in that vicinity, like Greer, I honestly can't think of any.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Becky...you are most kind! As to your question: I like the convenience of the Eastside, but the Wife wants the country with mountain views (not that I don't appreciate and love that as well), so we're going that route.

But...from what I have gathered thus far, Greer aside, it seems as though the NC side is where little villages are, or no? (When I say villages, I am thinking Flat Rock, Tryon, Black Mountain, etc). Am I wrong that - aside from a couple of areas - the SC side doesn't have stuff like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swande View Post
There's a new neighborhood in Greer/Blue Ridge which may be a good fit for you: Covington. Nice views of both Blue Ridge and Paris Mountains but yet close to Greer downtown activities and GSP. It's on Jordan Road near the Albino Skunk Music Festival so you can get your music on also.

Home Builders | Covington | SK Builders & McAlister Realty

https://albinoskunk.com/
Thank you Swande, for your time and suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
It sounds to me like the OP needs to just draw a box from GSP east to the 85/26 interchange, then north to Landrum, west to Tigerville, and south back to GSP. In that box you have several communities like Campobello, Inman, Duncan, and Greer. There is also a lot of rural places in that box. Get out and drive around that box and see what matches what you are looking for in a location.
I appreciate your feedback Whitewater, and you're right; the best thing to do, is to drive the area. We're still settling in to our new place, and I bet that the lack of driving around/familiarity is adding to my feeling of "what will my next steps be?"

Greer aside, is there a Traveler's Rest equivalent in the area that I boxed off? The downtown area in TR is very much like what we're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area