Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 77,781 times

Advertisements

Besides Greer, Landrum would be the closest equivalent to Travelers Rest IMO in terms of quaint ambiance and dining options. But it is a farther drive to GSP than from greater Greer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 12:39 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swande View Post
Besides Greer, Landrum would be the closest equivalent to Travelers Rest IMO in terms of quaint ambiance and dining options. But it is a farther drive to GSP than from greater Greer.

Landrum is really cute. Hare & Hound and Southside Smokehouse are two of our favorites!

Old 10-15-2019, 03:42 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swande View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Landrum is really cute. Hare & Hound and Southside Smokehouse are two of our favorites!
Thank you

Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Thanks BRB!

Thanks Becky...you are most kind! As to your question: I like the convenience of the Eastside, but the Wife wants the country with mountain views (not that I don't appreciate and love that as well), so we're going that route.

But...from what I have gathered thus far, Greer aside, it seems as though the NC side is where little villages are, or no? (When I say villages, I am thinking Flat Rock, Tryon, Black Mountain, etc). Am I wrong that - aside from a couple of areas - the SC side doesn't have stuff like this?

Greer aside, is there a Traveler's Rest equivalent in the area that I boxed off? The downtown area in TR is very much like what we're looking for.
Unfortunately not. Have you been to downtown Greer yet? That's the closest that you are going to get in that area. The towns in the GVL area are just not like the ones like you mentioned in NC. Greer does have a small walkable downtown area with restaurants, shops, bars, etc. It's slowly getting better. They have events throughout the year as well. If your wife wants mountain views, you will have to go on the north side of Wade Hampton around 101 N, 14 N and 290 (Locust Hill). There are areas in Greer, Taylors and Lyman. There's Lake Robinson and Lake Cunningham out there. What's your price range and do you want to be in a neighborhood or it doesn't matter? Before I forget, there is a really good restaurant in downtown Greer that is a must try. It's called Thai Vegan. We ate there a couple weeks ago and it was delicious and very reasonable cost.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can DM me too and I will try my best to help.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
Don't move to Greer, then I will be the only Skynyrd blasting redneck in the Eastside.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Don't move to Greer, then I will be the only Skynyrd blasting redneck in the Eastside.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
We've been on the Eastside of Greenville for a very short time, and today it happened: while driving my truck, blasting Skynyrd on the radio, I looked around. The Eastside is lovely, and there are a lot of friendly folks here, but the Eastside is for the sophisticated set. I don't belong here.
I've been living on the Eastside for over a year now. Though there are areas (Verdae neighborhood) that are populated by Charleston Todds and Muffies, that's not true of the whole Eastside. Looking out my living room window, I see two pickup trucks and several dented-up beaters with peeling paint. There's a real variety of people in my complex (ethnicity, age, apparent economic class) and in my building. And I wouldn't exactly call the people I see shopping at Haywood Mall, eating at the local cafeteria, or shopping on Woodruff "sophisticated".

My experience has been that there's a variety of people on the Eastside across the economic spectrum, and it really depends on which neighborhood or even street you're talking about. Which is basically true of every town I've lived in over the decades. If you've only been here a short time, you might want to give it more of a try before pulling the trigger and moving elsewhere (where things may not be any more to your liking). Just my two cents' worth.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I've been living on the Eastside for over a year now. Though there are areas (Verdae neighborhood) that are populated by Charleston Todds and Muffies, that's not true of the whole Eastside. Looking out my living room window, I see two pickup trucks and several dented-up beaters with peeling paint. There's a real variety of people in my complex (ethnicity, age, apparent economic class) and in my building. And I wouldn't exactly call the people I see shopping at Haywood Mall, eating at the local cafeteria, or shopping on Woodruff "sophisticated".

My experience has been that there's a variety of people on the Eastside across the economic spectrum, and it really depends on which neighborhood or even street you're talking about. Which is basically true of every town I've lived in over the decades. If you've only been here a short time, you might want to give it more of a try before pulling the trigger and moving elsewhere (where things may not be any more to your liking). Just my two cents' worth.
I appreciate your time and reply Vasily .

I am living in the shadow of the Thornblade development, and haven't yet come across any of that of which you speak. Maybe I will give it a bit more time.

The Eastside location is very convenient, and the nearby Stax Omega diner can't be beat. As you suggested, it might be that I need to familiarize myself with more of the Eastside, before making a final judgment.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:53 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

x2 on Landrum.

We'd live there, but work our hangouts in downtown G-ville are not far from TR where we live.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:59 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
I appreciate your time and reply Vasily .

I am living in the shadow of the Thornblade development, and haven't yet come across any of that of which you speak. Maybe I will give it a bit more time.

The Eastside location is very convenient, and the nearby Stax Omega diner can't be beat. As you suggested, it might be that I need to familiarize myself with more of the Eastside, before making a final judgment.

We rented an apartment in Thornblade and it is a completely different world that the other side of Greer.
Go out Main Street, Greer, cross over Wade Hampton and you’ll see views of the mountains, rolling hills and more working class neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area