Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 03:25 PM

292 posts, read 344,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
BLM was going on everywhere then, including Greenville. You can't judge a person based on race. I'm black and I'm more middle road or wherever think for yourself comes in.
I'm not judging based on race. I'm judging based on the number of Democrats vs Republicans on city council. As far as BLM goes, it was far more widespread in Charlotte vs Greenville and it's a leftwing group. If you look at their list of demands, they align close with the American left and Marxism. I'd say the same thing about a white group that had this type of agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
Greenville doesn't have tons of live music either.

You're gonna miss some shopping and restaurants that we don't have here, and traffic might be a bit less hectic but still a bear even with your strategy to stay near home.

You could enjoy living here, sure. Remember there is a significant cost and stress increase with any move, so make sure you have some good reasons to move. Otherwise, you might just find out the 'new' wears off after about a year and then you're ready to move back.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Fairly Liberal views, but not Asheville Liberal if that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
Actually it does not make sense. Can you elaborate?
Lol having lived in Asheville once, I understood it loud and clear.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:00 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Thanks for all the responses everyone, Yeah we have never lived in a smaller city and we are torn as to how we would adapt. I can say Charlotte is starting to get waayyy too crowded for us. Condos are going up everywhere, our hood is starting to become a nightmare in regards to parking. I use to be able to run in Harris Teeter to pick up a couple of items and be out in 5 minutes. Now, it takes me 5 to 10 minutes just to find a parking spot.

Things I would miss most here are friends, convenience and the whitewater center. Confluence AKA Dagger Kayaks are headquartered in Greenville, it would be a dream to work for them.

I did not really want this thread to turn into a political debate, so will just say we believe in balance of left and right, but definitely lean more towards the left.

How is the job market there? Things seem to be finally picking up again here in CLT. BTW, I have a pretty good career here in E commerce Marketing and wondered how many opportunities there were in this field in your city. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:34 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses everyone, Yeah we have never lived in a smaller city and we are torn as to how we would adapt. I can say Charlotte is starting to get waayyy too crowded for us. Condos are going up everywhere, our hood is starting to become a nightmare in regards to parking. I use to be able to run in Harris Teeter to pick up a couple of items and be out in 5 minutes. Now, it takes me 5 to 10 minutes just to find a parking spot.

Things I would miss most here are friends, convenience and the whitewater center. Confluence AKA Dagger Kayaks are headquartered in Greenville, it would be a dream to work for them.

I did not really want this thread to turn into a political debate, so will just say we believe in balance of left and right, but definitely lean more towards the left.

How is the job market there? Things seem to be finally picking up again here in CLT. BTW, I have a pretty good career here in E commerce Marketing and wondered how many opportunities there were in this field in your city. Thanks again for the feedback.

There isn't much reliable whitewater right in Greenville. If it rains a bunch, there are some runs you can hit after work but that isn't going to be the norm. On the flipside, there are tons of runs within 1-2 hours. The Chattooga and Green are both within an hour of Greenville. Greenville will shorten your weekend drives to whitewater a bit but you lose the reliable after work fix from the USNWC. The local whitewater club (Foothills Paddlers) is very active and is a supportive bunch of folks ranging from Class I-II beaters to Class V hairboaters.

There is a ton of great hiking near Greenville. Paris Mountain, Mountain Bridge Wilderness, Table Rock, Dupont State Forest, and the National Forest in SC and NC. The is also several tracts of land in SC on both sides of Hwy 11 with lots of hiking opportunities but very little use (Jocasse Gorges, Poe State Forest, and Nine Times Forest). I could spend a lifetime and not come close to hiking all of the interesting trails within an hour of my house. Also lots of places to go mountain biking if that is an interest of yours.

Greenville is pretty politically conservative but as long as you don't need to see liberal views in your government, it shouldn't be a big problem. Don't come here and expect that your local Congress or State government representation is going to be a liberal Democrat.

The local music scene is pretty lacking. There was a local place that attracted smaller regional and national acts called the Handlebar that went out of business a couple of years ago but nothing has really replaced it. We do get some of the larger national acts (particularly country acts) but the majority of them go to Charlotte and Atlanta and bypass Greenville. Greenville does have several festivals throughout the year that feature music as part of the event (Fall for Greenville in particular has a lot of music). Most of the music at the festivals will be acts you haven't heard of but most of them are pretty good. They also do have some small music acts downtown a couple of days a week during warmer weather.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
I'm not judging based on race. I'm judging based on the number of Democrats vs Republicans on city council. As far as BLM goes, it was far more widespread in Charlotte vs Greenville and it's a leftwing group. If you look at their list of demands, they align close with the American left and Marxism. I'd say the same thing about a white group that had this type of agenda.
Only because Charlotte is a much larger city. I hate the way politics separates people. It's not far from running on the lines of race, seeing as most blacks vote Democrat. I say get rid of the two party system and just vote on what the candidate has to offer.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
if you have a core political philosophy, you would view candidates as Democrat, Republican, Libertarian even if they did not go by these labels. you can vote for one party and be voting for what the candidate is offering at the same time.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There isn't much reliable whitewater right in Greenville. If it rains a bunch, there are some runs you can hit after work but that isn't going to be the norm. On the flipside, there are tons of runs within 1-2 hours. The Chattooga and Green are both within an hour of Greenville. Greenville will shorten your weekend drives to whitewater a bit but you lose the reliable after work fix from the USNWC. The local whitewater club (Foothills Paddlers) is very active and is a supportive bunch of folks ranging from Class I-II beaters to Class V hairboaters.

There is a ton of great hiking near Greenville. Paris Mountain, Mountain Bridge Wilderness, Table Rock, Dupont State Forest, and the National Forest in SC and NC. The is also several tracts of land in SC on both sides of Hwy 11 with lots of hiking opportunities but very little use (Jocasse Gorges, Poe State Forest, and Nine Times Forest). I could spend a lifetime and not come close to hiking all of the interesting trails within an hour of my house. Also lots of places to go mountain biking if that is an interest of yours.

Greenville is pretty politically conservative but as long as you don't need to see liberal views in your government, it shouldn't be a big problem. Don't come here and expect that your local Congress or State government representation is going to be a liberal Democrat.

The local music scene is pretty lacking. There was a local place that attracted smaller regional and national acts called the Handlebar that went out of business a couple of years ago but nothing has really replaced it. We do get some of the larger national acts (particularly country acts) but the majority of them go to Charlotte and Atlanta and bypass Greenville. Greenville does have several festivals throughout the year that feature music as part of the event (Fall for Greenville in particular has a lot of music). Most of the music at the festivals will be acts you haven't heard of but most of them are pretty good. They also do have some small music acts downtown a couple of days a week during warmer weather.

Hey, thanks Whitewater, yeah now you are speaking my language. I will check out foothills paddlers and yes, I do quite a bit of backpacking. I think we may just spend several days down there and get a better feel for the area. I look forward to Paris MTN, got to check that out soon.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:39 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
less known music acts still come to Greenville, the Handlebar wasn't that big of a venue, only held 500 people. i think most people would have a hard time recalling what bands played there.

Bands can do smaller shows and more of them at places around town. I think Gottrocks is very similar to the Handlebar and gets the type of bands that used to play at the Handlebar.

Greenville has live music going on all the time downtown, it had like 30 bands play at the recent Fall For Greenville festival on Main Street. There is live music on the street quite often, including jazz.

i think the live music scene here is much better than people paint it. there are big names playing at the arena, the performing arts center, and the outdoor amphitheater all the time. this past year Pearl Jam did a show here, Bon Jovi is kicking off their tour here, ZZ Top, Evanescene, Garth Brooks are coming soon. In the past, the Eagles, Kid Rock, Bob Dylan, Janet Jackson, Lynrd Skynard (three band members including the lead singer died in a plane crash after a show in Greenville), Taylor Swift, and many others. i think most of the big concerts are pop / rock acts, but there is a good variety of genres.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:33 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks Whitewater, yeah now you are speaking my language. I will check out foothills paddlers and yes, I do quite a bit of backpacking. I think we may just spend several days down there and get a better feel for the area. I look forward to Paris MTN, got to check that out soon.
Foothills Paddling Club has a pretty active Facebook group. It's centered around Upstate SC but has members from all over. More organized than MRP but way more relaxed than Carolina Canoe Club (CCC).

Paris Mountain can get crowded, especially on the weekends. I don't like crowds, which is why I spend a lot of my hiking time in the Jocassee Gorges area. You can hike back in there all day and see no one. I've seen almost as many bears as people in Jocassee. If you're in to backpacking, the Foothills Trail and Palmetto Trail both offer longer hikes with designated pack in camping spots.

For outfitter's stores, we have Mast General in downtown (really more of a tourist trap, though), an REI off of Woodruff, and Sunrift in Travelers Rest. Sunrift is the local outfitter and has a good selection of biking, hiking, backpacking, and paddling gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area