Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 12:38 PM

79 posts, read 79,729 times

Advertisements

When I visited the area last April I also looked at a few new homes, I wanted to get the feel of what the builders were building in the area. One of the homes I looked at was a home built by Adams homes in Simpsonville. If was a very nice but at 2,600 sq ft. A little bit much for just the two of us. I really like all brick homes and was just wondering if there are any newer ones being built in the area that you may know of.
1600 sq ft. give or take Is our goal. I would consider an older home, but I'm afraid those older homes just don't have the open concept that we are looking for. I also looked at a home with Hardie fiber board, but also understand some off the concerns with that. It did look nice though. Anybody have experience with the Hardie fiber board? Any problems in the area with it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 01:26 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,872,975 times
Adams Homes is the only new home builder I know of in the area that builds all brick homes. I have not heard of any problems with Hardiplank or fiber cement board. Since it is made partly from cement it is relatively fireproof, and does not need painting very often. if you'd like I would be glad to see if Adams Homes is building any smaller homes.

Last edited by BigRedBeth; 11-05-2016 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-05-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Adams Homes is the only new home builder I know of in the area that builds all brick homes. I have not heard of any problems with Hardiplank or fiber cement board. Since it is made partly from cement it is relatively fireproof, and does not need paining very often. if you'd like I would be glad to see if Adams Homes is building any smaller homes.
Beth, Thanks so much but you don't need to check. I'm on there mailing list since I toured the property. And believe me, I get many updates. LOL.

Also good to here about the Hardie fiber board, I was just reading about the siding on consumers affairs and there seemed to be some problems with the durability and paint

Old 11-05-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittyup View Post
Beth, Thanks so much but you don't need to check. I'm on there mailing list since I toured the property. And believe me, I get many updates. LOL.

Also good to here about the Hardie fiber board, I was just reading about the siding on consumers affairs and there seemed to be some problems with the durability and paint
Just read the site myself- was not aware of this, alhtough as I said I have not personally heard of any issues with it. Other companies do make fiber cement siding; sounds like maybe it was just the James Hardy product that had issues.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Just read the site myself- was not aware of this, alhtough as I said I have not personally heard of any issues with it. Other companies do make fiber cement siding; sounds like maybe it was just the James Hardy product that had issues.
Yea, I agree with it maybe only James hardy. I do like the siding compared to some of the other options the builders are using. When I look at some of these homes for sale online and they show warped siding, that causes me to move on at that point.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:36 AM

605 posts, read 585,382 times
Like any other building product, fiber cement siding has to be properly installed to perform well. I used Nichiha building my house, and used the manufacturer's and building industry's best practices to install it. It should be installed over a drainage plane to allow it to dry on both sides, all cuts must be primed, and it must be properly flashed at butt joints. It also should never be closer than 8" to the ground. I pre-painted every piece, including the cuts, before installing. Lots of extra work, but I believe it will last a long time. It is rot, fire, and insect proof, as is brick.

I read several home-building forums, and read horror stories every day about poor workmanship on new homes, even really upscale ones. That is part of why I built my own house. It would have been fabulously expensive to have it built by a contractor the way I did it. I have no idea how to find a builder that will truly do a good job. Your best bet would be to learn as much as you can about building, and watch your project like a hawk to be sure that things are being done correctly. Don't rely on the building inspectors; they are over worked, and never spent more than a few minutes inspecting my home. Building codes are only minimums, and are far from 'best practices'.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
Like any other building product, fiber cement siding has to be properly installed to perform well. I used Nichiha building my house, and used the manufacturer's and building industry's best practices to install it. It should be installed over a drainage plane to allow it to dry on both sides, all cuts must be primed, and it must be properly flashed at butt joints. It also should never be closer than 8" to the ground. I pre-painted every piece, including the cuts, before installing. Lots of extra work, but I believe it will last a long time. It is rot, fire, and insect proof, as is brick.

I read several home-building forums, and read horror stories every day about poor workmanship on new homes, even really upscale ones. That is part of why I built my own house. It would have been fabulously expensive to have it built by a contractor the way I did it. I have no idea how to find a builder that will truly do a good job. Your best bet would be to learn as much as you can about building, and watch your project like a hawk to be sure that things are being done correctly. Don't rely on the building inspectors; they are over worked, and never spent more than a few minutes inspecting my home. Building codes are only minimums, and are far from 'best practices'.
Not eveyone can build their own home- but you are correct- need to watch like a hawk AND have your own private inspections- at least two- pre-drywall and and after drywall. My last clients who built a new home had one after the repairs/corrections were supposed to have been done, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: